Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which city in Australia?

Options
  • 07-09-2009 1:43pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have the opportunity of a permanent transfer to any of the major cities in Australia with work.

What city would you recommend and why? I have an idea but would like to get other opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

My biased self says Sydney

My humorous self says Hobart that way we can stick all de durrrty forrins on one island :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

I think it depends what time of year you're going to be there. I think you'd be mad to miss Aussie summer in Sydney if you have the chance to be there for it. Melbourne has a lot to offer, but Sydney is really unique. My two cents...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

imo, Sydney is the "American" city, and Melbourne is the "European" city.

I found the pace in Sydney to be a bit much, there is a more laid back vibe in Melbourne.

But, the winter does really hit Melbourne at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Perth is your only man when it comes to the summer. The weather's unreal and it's got the best beaches and surf in Oz.

Can be a bit quiet in comparison to the fast paced bigger cities, but if you like a carefree and relaxed atmosphere then it's the one to pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Jumpy wrote: »
    My biased self says Sydney

My humorous self says Hobart that way we can stick all de durrrty forrins on one island :)

I thought the majority of people in Australia were 'foreigners'.....
    Daithio wrote: »
    I think it depends what time of year you're going to be there. I think you'd be mad to miss Aussie summer in Sydney if you have the chance to be there for it. Melbourne has a lot to offer, but Sydney is really unique. My two cents...

Sydney is many things, but unique? It's a poor mans NYC.

In relation to the OP, it really depends on what you're looking from in a city. From meeting people in Australia, Melbourne is much more popular than Sydney as far as the major cities go. Granted the weather isn't as good as in Sydney but still much better than anywhere in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Deffo Sydney,

Its the best by miles imho

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Sydney is the busty blonde. Melbourne's the interesting redhead. Depends what you're after really!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Yeah agree

Sydney is the big flash in your face
    melbourne the cool city

I live in sydney and find it can be pretty pretentious, but there is always something to do.

And in the summer is fantastic,

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Perth is your only man when it comes to the summer. The weather's unreal and it's got the best beaches and surf in Oz.

Can be a bit quiet in comparison to the fast paced bigger cities, but if you like a carefree and relaxed atmosphere then it's the one to pick.

LOL

m@cc@ wrote: »
    I thought the majority of people in Australia were 'foreigners'.....

Sydney is many things, but unique? It's a poor mans NYC.

In relation to the OP, it really depends on what you're looking from in a city. From meeting people in Australia, Melbourne is much more popular than Sydney as far as the major cities go. Granted the weather isn't as good as in Sydney but still much better than anywhere in Ireland.

When was the last time you got a bus in 25 mins to one of the best beaches in the world from Times square? Have you been to either city? I struggle to find two that are more different to be honest.

• Advertisement

Daithio wrote: »
    When was the last time you got a bus in 25 mins to one of the best beaches in the world from Times square? Have you been to either city? I struggle to find two that are more different to be honest.

I have been to both cities and if you're talking about Bondi, then we need to talk no further. It's not even the best beach in Sydney and well, I'd be looking for something more in a city then the tackfest that is Bondi and it's surrounding area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Interesting that nobody has mentioned Brisbane, never been but thought it was an up and coming city....

Carry on.

jank wrote: »
    Interesting that nobody has mentioned Brisbane, never been but thought it was an up and coming city....

Carry on.

Have you seen the temperatures they've been getting? It wouldn't sit well with a pasty Irishman.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

I've been living in Brisbane for the past year and a half and I love it here. Nice and chillaxed. The weather gets a bit much but I'm used to it by now. Just as hot as Sydney can get but more consistently hot with a lot more humidity. Still gets pretty chilly in the winter though. Down to 5 celsius in some parts. That's on par with Ireland ffs.

Used to live in Sydney with my sister for a few months and it was great for young red-blooded Irishman like myself (gorgeous women EVERYWHERE). Now that I've met a nice Aussie lass here in Brissy though thats all changed. So in short Sydneys good for the singleton social thing but Brissys just a nice place to live. The public transport is ****e unless you live about 15 minutes from the city though.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Melbourne. So much happening there all the time. Arts, Music, Sport. They say it's the easiest city to settle into and live. Cost of living is slightly less than Sydney and has a more relaxed pace about it.

Only thing, winter can be quite BRrrrrrr... (Sydney gets cold too though!)

Everywhere can get cold there. Maybe not in the extreme north though. I felt a little used when I experienced my first Aussie winter. All the ads on TV and Home and Away had me believe this place was sunny year round and there was no such thing as ugly women. I assumed they were put on a barge and set out to sea or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭paddylast

in my opinion Sydney. the summers there are great. lots of beaches to choose from.

Melbourne does be colder when winter hits.

didnt think much of Adelaide. bored after 5mins there. apparently its retirementville. just full of parks.

Brisbane is nice and that bit warmer. no beach is its only downfall and with the great Oz weather the beach is great to grt to a the weekend

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Thanks everyone for your input.

I was leaning towards Melbourne myself before creating this thread. Will do some more research over the weekend.

Keep the advice coming :)

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

Aside from Melbourne, I've only spent about a week in the other major cities. But I would highly recommend Melbourne. Lovely city, friendly people, and there's always something going on. It's a very easy place to live in, decent public transport, and not as expensive as Sydney.

I didn't really like Sydney. Although the opera house and harbour bridge are impressive (Sydney generally has better sights), I didn't really like the atmosphere. The people aren't as friendly. As for Bondi, its a hole.

Perth is ok, if a little on the quiet side.

I liked Brisbane, it seems like a cool, small city.

Adelaide is boring.

My 2 cents

zootroid wrote: »
    As for Bondi, its a hole.

Very very true.

• Advertisement

BossArky wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your input.

I was leaning towards Melbourne myself before creating this thread. Will do some more research over the weekend.

Keep the advice coming :)

Move to Melbourne. I'm sure I have a birthday coming up and we can find some truly random pub like the London Roadhouse and have a ridiculous night spending far too much money on expensive alcohol that everyone's too drunk to appreciate. :D Not that that's ever happened...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

I'm gonna hop on the Brisbane wagon here... There's a lot going on here, it seems pretty, well run, fun and easy to get around. Haven't gotten to explore much up and down the coast since we've been working a lot, but generally I prefer this place to Melbourne, which is the only other place I stayed for any length of time, and Sydney, which I admittedly only stayed a week in but didn't like the scale & pace of...

Woo... Brisbane!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭603304529

paddylast reckons there's no beach in Brisbane. Well, if you drive for an hour or so either north or south, and you're in the Sunshine or Gold Coast respectively. Absolutely amazing places, the two of em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

I would say either perth or melbourne, both are quite dangerous if you go out to stupid place but they can be dodged quite easily and both have pretty good places to drive to for weekend excursions.

Melbourne definitely has a better arts, music comedy scene but perth has better beaches.

If you can choose any city surely you will have the option of a transfer once there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Ok, so I've spent the weekend investigating on the net. My choice is Melbourne.

From what I've read, and from the feedback in this thread it seems that at a high level:
    • Sydney is nice to visit, but not to live in
    • Melbourne has loads of stuff going on
    • Sydney has great weather & Melbourne weather can be dodgy.

Question #2 - how bad is the weather in Melbourne? Is it just bad relative to Sydney? Are people exaggerating and it is really roasting compared to Ireland/England?

Thanks.

Melbourne does four seasons in one day. 7am way to work, 12 degrees, brrrr. By noon it's 28 degrees. That evening it could be back to 12 or up to 35 degrees.

Winter in Melbourne is cold and wet (e.g. daytime temps in their teens). The height of summer it'll easily creep into the late 30s and early 40s, which should be hot enough for ya...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

If it were me I would pick Melbourne too but finding work there is harder than Sydney and in fairness I dont think Sydney is all that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 mayonnaise

PERTH PERTH PERTH PERTH PERTH!!! its so beautiful, cottesloe & Scarborough beaches and then you can travel down south to margaret river and up north to cervantes. Perth is lovely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Brisbane's boring without alcohol... a bit like Dublin really. There's more to do here though, and weather is better... if you call hot 'better'. Much of a muchness really. Prepare to run out of money VERY rapidly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Confab wrote: »
    Brisbane's boring without alcohol... a bit like Dublin really. There's more to do here though, and weather is better... if you call hot 'better'. Much of a muchness really. Prepare to run out of money VERY rapidly.

I found Brisbane very cheap actually. Cheaper than Sydney.

Advertisement