Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep of Ireland vs South Africa

• 07-09-2009 2:04pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Live on Sky Sports 2 Limerick, 7.45 KO Tuesday Sept 8th

Goalkeepers: Keiren Westwood, Joe Murphy.

Defenders: John O'Shea, Stephen Kelly, Eddie Nolan, Sean St. Ledger, Paul McShane, Darren O'Dea.

Midfielders: Aiden McGeady, Damien Duff, Darron Gibson, Glenn Whelan, Keith Andrews, Liam Miller, Andy Keogh, Liam Lawrence.

Strikers: Kevin Doyle, Caleb Folan, Shane Long, Leon Best.
    the following returned to their clubs after playing Cyprus:

Richard Dunne
    Shay Given
    Robbie Keane
    Stephen Hunt
    Kevin Kilbane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Westwood

Kelly--Nolan--Ledger--O'Dea

Lawrence--Gibson--Whelan--Keogh

Folan---Long

Like to see that line up to see some of the younger lads get some experience.
    Would have been great to see Fahey in the squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Kilbane not made it either?

I was afraid he would jump ahead of Given for most amount of caps :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Frisbee wrote: »
    Westwood

Kelly--Nolan--Ledger--O'Dea

Lawrence--Gibson--Whelan--Keogh

Folan---Long

Like to see that line up to see some of the younger lads get some experience.
    Would have been great to see Fahey in the squad

If he is to play Keogh, it should be up front, as he is not a winger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Team announced

Westwood

Kelly/McShane/St Ledger/Nolan

Duff/Gibson/Andrews/Keogh

Folan/Doyle

Grim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

population wrote: »
    Team announced

Westwood

Folan/Doyle

Grim

Stupid line-up. Dodgy as hell back 4
    Keogh is a striker and should have started with Doyle up there
    McGeady should have started since he didnt on Saturday.
    Folan and Doyle offer more or less the same thing
    Will be very surprised if this team can get a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Team announced

Westwood

Folan/Doyle

Grim

Thought McGeady might get the nod. Not too bad with the squad there. Should be a bit of a lame game though I expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Team announced

Westwood

Folan/Doyle

Grim

And there was me for about 5 seconds wondering who the hell Grim was:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭eoin99

Team announced

Westwood

Folan/Doyle

Grim

Surely JOS should have been played at centre half (instead of McShane) to give the backline some experience/leadership...it looks pretty weak as it is.

I would have liked to see either Long or Keogh start up front, I doubt Mick McCarthy will be too pleased to see Doyle play two internationals in 4 days after he's just back from injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

this breaks kilbanes consecutive appearances so, poor bugger, he was only 2 off being the second player to have the most consecutive appearances

thats probably the most interesting irish line up in years, and i like it for some reason, itll be interesting when you remove the like of keane, o'shea, given, and even kilbane, and see where we stand, with what is, the next generation of senior irish football players,

id say we will loose cause of this experiment, but its something that really has to be done

• Advertisement

don ramo wrote: »
    this breaks kilbanes consecutive appearances so, poor bugger, he was only 2 off being the second player to have the most consecutive appearances

thats probably the most interesting irish line up in years, and i like it for some reason, itll be interesting when you remove the like of keane, o'shea, given, and even kilbane, and see where we stand, with what is, the next generation of senior irish football players,

id say we will loose cause of this experiment, but its something that really has to be done

Open to correction on this one but isn't it consecutive competitive appearances....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

8-10 wrote: »
    Thought McGeady might get the nod. Not too bad with the squad there. Should be a bit of a lame game though I expect.

Mc geady has pulled out with a knock and Doyle will be captain on the night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

Team announced

Westwood

Folan/Doyle

Grim

Its a friendly and the younger lads will be getting a start, no need to be calling it grim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

fahey not getting in the squad is ludicrous imo.

he could be yet another option for that midfield. now i know what you'll all say, Gibson and Andrews won't be dropped, but it doesn't mean i can't dream.

i'm a real fan of fahey; could turn into a very important of any ireland team if given the chance.

3/1 SA is looking very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

eoin99 wrote: »
    Open to correction on this one but isn't it consecutive competitive appearances....

can someone confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Correction, mis heard the radio report

Lawrence in instead of Duffer

Dustaz wrote: »

Just checked there and he didn't play in the friendly in May against Nigeria so im presuming this means it is competitive games.

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=289&catid=1&Itemid=8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

One positive thing is that there's only 2 first team players in that team yet 8 of them play in the Premiership.

McGeady is injured apparently. I hope it's not serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

Well I'm interested in seeing how the two do in centre mid. I mean both are good passers and I always thought Whelan wasn't contributing enough - Andrews always seemed to be defending better as well as being more attacking so hoping he and Gibson can show something.

Even if we lose its still better to put that team out than all the usuals IMO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ANTIFA!

TOD said on MNS said that only about 10,000 tickets have been sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Dustaz wrote: »

I know it's not the best source but his Wikipedia entry mentions competitive appearances, I would have thought so anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

SA 4-ROI 1. Cant see us winning this tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

If we want to be serious about getting to the world cup we have to try and keep the same 11 even for friendly's ffs. Every game is important

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

DrMorphine wrote: »
    If we want to be serious about getting to the world cup we have to try and keep the same 11 even for friendly's ffs. Every game is important

I disagree - if you keep the same 11 for every game, even friendlies, how on earth is he going to know how players outside that starting 11 will fit into the side if called upon through injury, for example. How will players be brought through to the international game if the same 11 is always kept together. there HAS to be a degree of experimentation, it is good for team moral at the very least.

I disagree - if you keep the same 11 for every game, even friendlies, how on earth is he going to know how players outside that starting 11 will fit into the side if called upon through injury, for example. How will players be brought through to the international game if the same 11 is always kept together. there HAS to be a degree of experimentation, it is good for team moral at the very least.

Yeah thats all and good maybe a year ago but not at this stage. Look at england for example. We need to try and keep the strongest 11 out so they can gel. And I saw them advirtising the **** outa the SA game. I would be pissed if I had tickets and saw that lineup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Yeah thats all and good maybe a year ago but not at this stage. Look at england for example. We need to try and keep the strongest 11 out so they can gel. And I saw them advirtising the **** outa the SA game. I would be pissed if I had tickets and saw that lineup.

whats the difference between now and then though, really?

We still need a squad of 23 players, and we still need to know how those 23 players will do in various situations, and we still need those 23 players to at least feel they actually have a chance or why bother leaving their families for a week or so every couple of months to get splinters in their ass from sitting on the bench all the time.

Also, sticking rigidly to the same 11 would reduce the competition for places and the hunger of the team.

And yeah, look at England. Will Defoe start ahead of Heskey? Will Lennon or SWP start? Who is going to partner Terry at the back etc England rotate a few of their players too, to see how other people do, and give those other players a chance to stake their claim for a starting spot.

whats the difference between now and then though, really?

We still need a squad of 23 players, and we still need to know how those 23 players will do in various situations, and we still need those 23 players to at least feel they actually have a chance or why bother leaving their families for a week or so every couple of months to get splinters in their ass from sitting on the bench all the time.

Also, sticking rigidly to the same 11 would reduce the competition for places and the hunger of the team.

And yeah, look at England. Will Defoe start ahead of Heskey? Will Lennon or SWP start? Who is going to partner Terry at the back etc England rotate a few of their players too, to see how other people do, and give those other players a chance to stake their claim for a starting spot.

We have italy in october. We cant mess about and we CAN actually beat Italy and cause an upset. They get paid enough from their clubs I would leave my home for a week or two to sit on the bench of my country.. I would be honored just like alot of the young lads would.

Defoe will start ahead oh Heskey. SWP will probably keep his spot and their back 4 has stayed the same. With upson currently taking ferdinands spot while hes injured. The best way to do it is to let other players play when theres injurys and in friendly let the strongest 11 start and use the 6 substitues imo

If we're comparing this friendly to the England situation you have to look at the timing of them in relation to the competitive qualifiers imo. England's friendly was a few days before their big game against Croatia, so they have good reason to play a strong team that will resemble the starting line up for the Croatian game. It gives the first team extra game time together, and give Capello a chance to look at 1 or 2 players who he might be thinking of playing or deciding between (Heskey and Defoe).

The SA friendly is 3 days after Ireland qualifier, and the big players have got the job done by getting 3 points. It makes sense for Trapattoni to experiment with different players and give the squad players who have been sitting on the bench a chance to impress and give the main players a rest. He knows what his first 11 offer so why play them all again tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Friendlies are the time to change things about, see what works and what doesn't work and there is no point in just playing the same team because then other players won't get a chance. Friendlies are just that, a chance to give other players a run out.

I can't see Ireland winning this one I am afraid :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Gibson is 18/1 for first goalscorer and 15/2 for anytime goalscorer on Paddy Power. I konw he's not brilliant but the boy does love to shoot and he can bang them in. Worth a punt I think.

I'm delighted to see a couple of young lads getting a chance (specially Eddie Nolan as I used to tap around with him when I was younger). Not happy to see Keogh on the wing. He's obviously a forward and offers something a bit different up there. I can see us conceding quite a few goals tonight but the score doesn't matter, it's all about the performances we get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Glad to see Lawrence in. It was crazy that he was starting (and scoring) at Stoke, with Whelan warming the bench, and the latter was taking on the likes of Bulgaria and Italy.

Still disapointed that Andy Reid, Lee Carsley, and keith Fahey are nowhere to be seen. Games like tonight should be used to re-integrate those with the panel. Remember, on the off chance we go to South Africa next year, we will need a squad of 22

If this is our second team, I do believe that one can claim that this is the weakest Irish setup that we have had sin a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Het-Field wrote: »
    If this is our second team, I do believe that one can claim that this is the weakest Irish setup that we have had sin a long time.
    You've just named 3 Irish players not in the squad that play in the premiership. 8 of tonights team play in the premiership. It's not all that bad.

Given
    Westwood

Finnan
    Foley
    -
    Wilson
    Kelly

O'Shea
    Kilbane

Dunne
    St Ledger
    McShane
    O'Dea

A.Reid
    McGeady
    Duff
    Hunt
    -
    Lawrence

S.Reid
    Whelan
    Andrews
    Carsley
    -
    McCann
    Fahey
    Gibson
    Delap

Keane
    Doyle
    Keogh
    Long
    -
    Folan

Over 20 of those players are first choice for a premiership club. Is the premiership just getting weaker?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

Het-Field wrote: »
    Glad to see Lawrence in. It was crazy that he was starting (and scoring) at Stoke, with Whelan warming the bench, and the latter was taking on the likes of Bulgaria and Italy.

Still disapointed that Andy Reid, Lee Carsley, and keith Fahey are nowhere to be seen. Games like tonight should be used to re-integrate those with the panel. Remember, on the off chance we go to South Africa next year, we will need a squad of 22

Well its 23 unless somebody does a keano on things :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

does anyone know who's playing for SA?

• Advertisement

Any live streams going on for this match? No telly at the mo.:(

bluefinger wrote: »
    does anyone know who's playing for SA?

Most likely: Fernandez; Gaxa, Masilela, Mokoena, Khumalo; Dikgacoi, Pienaar, Tshabalala, Mhlongo; Parker, Khenyeza.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

PCros wrote: »
    I am sure once the game starts a few will be posted. Check out justin.tv around kick off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Isn't it live on RTE.ie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

Mr Maroon wrote: »
    Isn't it live on RTE.ie?

Only in the ROI

• Advertisement

Nope they're only showing the highlights @ 10.25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Im sure the awsome Sopcast will have it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

Need the official SA Starting XI

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Your man on SS was going on about how the Irish coaches have been impressed by Westwood, just as they show him getting smacked in the face with the ball during the warm up :D

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Your man on SS was going on about how the Irish coaches have been impressed by Westwood, just as they show him getting smacked in the face with the ball during the warm up :D

lol saw that

that would make a good fail pic

fail.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

Is Parker starting for SA?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Nope they're only showing the highlights @ 10.25

AFAIK Sky still have the right to the friendlies.

Need a Stream! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

will there be any streams for us poor peasants with out sky sports?

Is Parker starting for SA?

yes I think i just saw him,edit yes he is

how bad are sky sports no sign of the SA team line ups :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

bizmark wrote: »
    will there be any streams for us poor peasants with out sky sports?
    http://atdhe.net/9059/watch-ireland-vs-south-africa

• Advertisement
Advertisement