Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep of Ireland vs South Africa

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Lowest attendance ever I hear? A couple of mates went in to hang around, and see if they could get in for free due to lack of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Couldn't care less we're winning, it's fking rubbish!!!

see better u14's teams in the local park...Il Trap the chancer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Great free kick but I hope it doesn't start a "get Lawrence in the team" bandwagon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

how many changes do you think he'll make, south africa look so blunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

lol at the accents in the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Great free kick but I hope it doesn't start a "get Lawrence in the team" bandwagon.

Lawerence for Italy!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Who is that annoying womon shouting over the Tannoy ?? ....STFU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

The_B_Man wrote: »
    lol at the accents in the back.
    Scary shit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Latchy wrote: »
    Who is that annoying womon shouting over the Tannoy ?? ....STFU
    play GAA play GAA:P
    actually sounds like a campaigner for lisbon or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

play GAA play GAA:P
    actually sounds like a campaigner for lisbon or something.
    Or a Fianna Fail rally :p

• Advertisement

killwill wrote: »
    Lawerence for Italy!!!!!

Haha!!!

I hope substitutions don't ruin the second half. After the goal, things picked up a bit. Shame to ruin that with loads of pointless subs. Gibson needs to show a bit more too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Awful performance.

Back with my ratings at 9.30 !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

i thought it was some pikey fightin in the background...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

No changes at half time for either side, would have thought O'Dea would come on since he got called up to the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

is gibson playing ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Headshot wrote: »
    is gibson playing ?

depends on what you mean by 'playing'

Indeed he is, just pulled a shot wide a moment ago, playing alongside Andrews. Best on now for Doyle (who gave the captains armband to Kelly!)

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    depends on what you mean by 'playing'

exactly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The_B_Man wrote: »
    i thought it was some pikey fightin in the background...
    Maybe some of Athlone's finest......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Unlucky from Best.

O'Dea on now for McShane

Dare I suggest Best may just add a bit of excitement to this game? Great first minute or so on the pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭deisedude

South Africa couldn't score in a brothel:pac: Is this their first team btw?

deisedude wrote: »
    South Africa couldn't score in a brothel:pac: Is this their first team btw?

not very far off it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Based on what I have seen tonight it is time to drop Kilbane. Start Kelly right back with O'Shea moving to left and Dunne and St Ledger in the centre.
    I hope Kelly can break into the Fulham team soon. The move seems to have given him his confidence back.

• Advertisement

Best should be 3rd choice striker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

very impressed with best and lawrence tonight.

Think an equalizer is a certainty though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

At the end of it all, can't see Lawrence or Best for that matter getting any sort of look in for the next few Qualifiers

full Time 1-0 to Ireland

how does Gibson get into the utd squad :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭deisedude

Best should be 3rd choice striker

Nah Folan holds up the ball better and considering our game plan seems to be kick the ball long and hope for the best, he is the better option. Best was good tonight though but he aint even the best Irish striker at his club! Forget Steven Ireland and Andy Reid we should start a bring back Clinton Morrison campaign:D

Trap had a quiet word with Sir Alex and got him to play him for a few games, that and he occasionally displays a cannon of a shot from outside the box!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

I know, I forgot he was on the pitch. Northern Ireland can have him back if they want!:D

PCros wrote: »
    I know, I forgot he was on the pitch. Northern Ireland can have him back if they want!:D

And we get Jonny Evans!

PCros wrote: »

i'd drive him back across the border myself I would
    And we get Jonny Evans!

the 2 Evans ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Decent second half. It actually led to the 1-0 result. The first half was such muck, that I was almost embarrassed that Ireland could have held such a result.

Some real bright sparks, some decent performances, and some useless ones.

Westwood 6 Nothing to do
    Kelly 5 Composed in the second half. Lethargic in the first
    Nolan 6 Fairly solid. Nothing spectacular.
    ST Ledger 7 Took over the Dunne Role competently. Likely to start v Italy
    McShane 7 Strongest performance in almost 3 years
    Lawrence 7 Created Chances, Sweet Goal. Should make the 16 for Italy
    Gibson 5 Another weak afternoon. Completely by=passed
    Andrews 6 Better then Saturday.
    Keogh 4 Not a winger. No Invention. No business in the international setup
    Folan 7 Excellent hold up play. Should have been given a penalty
    Doyle 7 Decent Captaincy.

Best 6 Created two chances
    O'Dea 6 Little to do
    Duff 4 Nothing to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Het-Field wrote: »

Got this completely backwards mate.

Kelly was really good defensively, in the first half he came in to intercept a dangerous ball when St.Ledger got turned. He was also good going forward, getting in several good crosses.

Nolan was decent devensively but his distrubtion was awful, gave the ball away quite alot.

Kelly - 7
    Nolan - 5 for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

Yep Kelly was much better than Nolan. I just hope Kelly starts getting his games at Fulham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Leon Best was impressive when he came on I have to say, worth more game time for sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Definately, some good touches and a directness about him that I really like. I think if keane isn't available, we should definately have Best and Doyle up front..... or with Folan if Doyle isnt available either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

we won but that was a simply horrible game of football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Did no else think Liam Lawerence put in a really excellent performance? I was very impressed, to the point that if he had more experience I'd be thinking of him to start against Italy. Goal aside, his defensive work was good, he carried the ball wall, and his crossing was excellent. A lot of that has been missed when we have McGeady on the wings, who can beat players but rarely produces the end product.

Stephen Kelly, Paul McShane, Sean St. Ledger, Caleb Folan and Leon Best all played well. The game passed our central midfielders by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Het-Field wrote: »
    Decent second half. It actually led to the 1-0 result. The first half was such muck, that I was almost embarrassed that Ireland could have held such a result.

Some real bright sparks, some decent performances, and some useless ones.

Westwood 6 Nothing to do
    ST Ledger 7 Took over the Dunne Role competently. Likely to start v Italy
    McShane 7 Strongest performance in almost 3 years
    Lawrence 7 Created Chances, Sweet Goal. Should make the 16 for Italy
    Gibson 5 Another weak afternoon. Completely by=passed
    Andrews 6 Better then Saturday.
    Keogh 4 Not a winger. No Invention. No business in the international setup
    Folan 7 Excellent hold up play. Should have been given a penalty
    Doyle 7 Decent Captaincy.

Best 6 Created two chances
    O'Dea 6 Little to do
    Duff 4 Nothing to do

Man of the match was between Kelly, St Ledger and Lawerence IMO. 5 for Kelly you must be joking! I think he sealed a place in the starting 11 against Italy tonight.
    McShane 7. I can't really see where you get this either. His hesitation in the first half nearly cost us a goal.
    Keogh is playing fantastic stuff up front for Wolves at the moment. Your comment, mark out of 10 and the fact that Trap plays him on the left are completely unfair.
    What the hell does 'decent captaincy' mean? As much as I like the guy he did not have a good game tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The performance was flat but the result was decent enough. The second half display was alright. The less said about the first half the better. The main positive for me was Liam Lawrence stepping up and making himself an option on the right flank. We are fairly covered on the wings but it's always nice to have competition.The central defenders did well too. The central midfield however again went missing and that is a big worry.

Westwood: Didn't have anything to do. Easy night for the chap. 7
    Nolan: Not a good game. Gave the ball away a lot and looked uncomfortable going forward. 5
    St. Ledger: Good display once again. Organised things well. 7
    McShane: Solid outing and a refreshing error-free display. 7
    Kelly: Poor display though not as bad as Nolan. Looked shaky. 6
    Keogh: Wasn't comfortable in the role, though to be fair got zero help from Nolan. 5
    Andrews: Some good passes but doesn't seem able to impose himself on a game. 6
    Gibson: Quiet game and has yet to set the international stage alight. 6
    Lawrence: Got in some good crosses in the first half and scored a cracking goal. Was keen to impress and did so. 8
    Folan: Should have got a penalty and worked hard. 7
    Doyle: Didn't get much service but put in a good shift. 6

Subs:

Best: Looked up for it and had some good chances. 7
    O'Dea: Not a lot of time to impress but didn't look in trouble on his debut. 6
    Duff: Limited time. N/A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Gibson really is an interesting. When I watch him for United, I get quite excited. I think he's a good prospect. When he plays for Ireland he's just awful.

It's defo a mental thing, so I hope he can get it together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

PHB wrote: »
    Gibson really is an interesting. When I watch him for United, I get quite excited. I think he's a good prospect. When he plays for Ireland he's just awful.

I wonder if part of it is tactics. Fergie has said he's more of an attacking midfielder in the Frank Lampard mode, whereas Trap perhaps to have central midfielders sitting back and being largely defensive.

That doesn't excuse his really poor performances, mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Just back from the game. Glad I got the tickets as freebies because there was no value for money on display.
    The positives:
    The Goal: An absolutely sweet strike from Lawrence.
    The Atmosphere: Despite being nowhere near full I thought there was a good buzz around the ground.
    Kevin Doyle: Best player in the Ireland squad imo. He's always busy, runs great lines, plays intelligent balls and is a great poacher and winner of ball in the air.
    Liam Lawrence: Good use of the ball, played some nice passes, took on his marker at most attempts and struck a sweet strike.
    Sean St Ledger: Looked very composed in defence and a good reader of the game.
    Cameos: I though Leon Best had a very decent fifteen or so minutes when he came on.
    The negatives:
    Eddie Nolan: Beyond rubbish. Looked completely out of his depth. Poor positional sense and terrible distribution of the ball. When I think that Kilbane is the other player Trap prefers at left back i fcukin despair.
    Darren Gibson: I reckon I could count on one hand the amount of touches he had in the game. It essentially passed him by.
    Keith Andrews: Worked hard in terms of running around but zero effectiveness.
    Tactics: It's really depressing to watch a team hell bent on long ball football. The central midfielders sit so deep they might as well be defenders. Folan, Andrews, Gibson showed zero composure on the ball and played aimless knock downs or passes for most of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ANTIFA!

100% agree with you about Doyle. I personally believe he's far beyond Wolverhampton Wanderers level. No disrespect to them but I'd love to see Doyle in a team with good service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Well impressed with Leon Best and Liam Lawrence. Not so much Eddie Nolan. Keith Andrews doesnt look any better against even more mediocre opposition.

Eamon Dunphy ranting again now on telly about Big Jack, Liam Brady/Ronnie Whelan in the old days etc etc :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

PHB wrote: »

I'd hazard that its more down to being surrounded by a better calibre of player at Utd. You can relax more for want of a better word, that and the fact that the game plan seems to be bypass the midfield. We should start all of Keane-Doyle-Folan-Best and play 4-2-4 to **** :P

Advertisement