Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with nasty dog next door

Options
  • 07-09-2009 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

Neighbours bought a dog a couple of years back, they made no effort to chain the dog and let it roam. the fence between our properties is not the best so the dog kept coming in to do its sh1ts basically. Anyway I gradually blocked up the fence and when the dog came through oftern chased it with a stick and giving it a few good clobbers now and again.

Anyway the dog was more or less sorted after a while, stopped coming near us and just growled at me when walking up the road from inside its own garden.

However last week the dog is in middle of public road doing the full full barking, snarling and growling thing at me. I have no back track a little and get some stones to throw at the dog then he runs home and I can pass.

This morning when walking up the road the dog is standing at the neighbours gates in full rant mode. I have to stare him down and inch past him. Neighbour came out in car and shouted at me for taunting the dog (as if its my fault) I picked up a rock and threw it at the dog, just missing it, neighbour seems to think I am the problem.

I ain't doing this every day, what are my options, I am concerned this dog will attack me or my kids.

I guess the next step is to video the thing in action on my cameraphone.

The neighbours seem to lack the basic common sense that they should keep their dog under control if it causing a nuisance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

If the dog is a nuisance, report it.

Stop hitting it, taunting it, eyeing it down, standing outside the gate to its territory and inching along, and throwing stones and rocks at it.

Because if I had a tiny fuzzy doggy brain and you did those things to me, I'd savage you the first chance I got too.

Try using your big man-brain a bit more and use your common sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭jister

If the dog is a nuisance, report it.

Stop hitting it, taunting it, eyeing it down, standing outside the gate to its territory and inching along, and throwing stones and rocks at it.

Because if I had a tiny fuzzy doggy brain and you did those things to me, I'd savage you the first chance I got too.

Try using your big man-brain a bit more and use your common sense.

Its the neighbours who lack common sense - not me. They are happy to provoke the issue knowing the dog has been trouble since day 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

The owners are at fault for not containing their dog, but you beating it is not helping things and it's no wonder that the dog growls at you, as it's protecting itself from a nasty brutal human.

Mind you, the owners are really at fault, because I wouldn't even let my dog near a nasty person like you!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

If I caught you throwing stones at my dog regardless of whether it was in "Full rant mode" I wouldnt be responsible for my actions.

Ever think the dog has associated you with getting a "few clobbers" or "picking up rocks and throwing them at it"

As for whether the dog is "out of control"--If its in his own garden and barking and growling at passers by (or is it just you) then all its doing is defending its territory and in my opinion is fully "under control" in its own garden once it cant get out.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Blueprint wrote: »
    The owners are at fault for not containing their dog,........

If the dog is on ots own property and cant get out then it IS under control ie barking from within its own garden.
    Mind you, the owners are really at fault, because I wouldn't even let my dog near a nasty person like you!

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭jister

Hellrazer wrote: »
    If I caught you throwing stones at my dog regardless of whether it was in "Full rant mode" I wouldnt be responsible for my actions.

Ever think the dog has associated you with getting a "few clobbers" or "picking up rocks and throwing them at it"

As for whether the dog is "out of control"--If its in his own garden and barking and growling at passers by (or is it just you) then all its doing is defending its territory and in my opinion is fully "under control" in its own garden once it cant get out.

The dog is allowed wander onto the road. There are no gates and in one instance the dog stood in the middle of the public road in rant mode.

As regards me being nasty - what should I do - just let somebody elses dog sh1t in property where my children want to play?

If dog was properly fenced in since day one this would not have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

jister wrote: »

This morning when walking up the road the dog is standing at the neighbours gates in full rant mode. I have to stare him down and inch past him. Neighbour came out in car and shouted at me for taunting the dog (as if its my fault) I picked up a rock and threw it at the dog, just missing it, neighbour seems to think I am the problem.
    I'd report you for animal cruelty.

The neighbours dog should not be out on a public road or coming into your garden but you should have the common sense to not abuse the dog because of it. Go down the proper route instead of being silly enough to provoke the dog then complain about its behaviour.

jister wrote: »
    The dog is allowed wander onto the road. There are no gates and in one instance the dog stood in the middle of the public road in rant mode.

As regards me being nasty - what should I do - just let somebody elses dog sh1t in property where my children want to play?

If dog was properly fenced in since day one this would not have happened.

Thats fair enough--you didnt state that it was free to roam.

If the dog is running wild on the road then call the dog warden.I still wouldnt resort to hitting the animal both for your sake and the animals--it could turn on you and possibly attack you or else if you hurt it you could end up with a hefty Vets bill from the owner and he seems that type.

Ill say it again---Call the Warden and tell him theres a dog that seems vicious running wild and youre afraid for the childrens sake that play on the road.

Thread locked--Becaue I can see this going around in circles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement