Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sake

Options
  • 07-09-2009 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

Hiya guys i'm quite interested in trying new food and drink and was wondering if any of you have tried sake? ive been interested in sampling it myself anyone know what it's like ? or where you could get it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Yeah, I quite like sake. It's quite a distinctive taste -- sort of warm and sour -- nice in small doses.

To buy it, try Japanese restaurants, oriental supermarkets and good off licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Ronanc1

Interesting i had heard it had a distinctive taste is it similar to anything else you tried beernut

Very dry sherry or white port would be in the ballpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I make what I call a saketini:

2 parts sake
    1 part gin
    1 part lychee liqueur
    1/2 part dry vermouth

Serve very cold with a lychee in the glass.
    Nice:D

Actually: dry vermouth is something else that sake sort-of half-resembles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

the beer revolu - where do you get the lychee liqueur? have been looking around for some and no luck so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭MarkMI6

You can get sake in town in the Asian Market - http://www.asiamarket.ie/ie/images/asia.gif It's just behind Georges St :), get to Laser DVD on your left and take two lefts, it's pretty much directly behind. Get the brand in the blue bottle, it's the best there by far, although the stuff in the smaller pink bottle is quite nice as well (it's unfiltered).

Gotta say though the quality of the sake they sell in this country in general isn't great, even going to Belfast you'll find a lot more brands and much better quality :/

mimihops wrote: »
    the beer revolu - where do you get the lychee liqueur? have been looking around for some and no luck so far!

I got it in the Jia Jia Asian shop in Cork.

It's really good in sparkling wine too!

Great, thanks a mil! Where is that shop though, I can't place it and google isn't helping me out? I can't wait to make some lychee martinis again :-)

mimihops wrote: »
    Great, thanks a mil! Where is that shop though, I can't place it and google isn't helping me out? I can't wait to make some lychee martinis again :-)

It's on Corn Market Street (Coal Quay) near Denehey's pub

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Tried it in Ichiban in Glasgow. Not impressed at all. It was like warm sour water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Shōchū is Sake's less well know cousin. I wouldn't generally be a neat spirit drinker but that was pretty nice, a bit stronger than Sake.
    No idea where you'd get it here.

Found it! Thanks :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭irishcrazyhorse

It's on Corn Market Street (Coal Quay) near Denehey's pub

jia jia?i know cons but i dont know any asian shop there?is it new?ive been looking of a good liquer for ages that wont break the bank,did it cost you much?

jia jia?i know cons but i dont know any asian shop there?is it new?ive been looking of a good liquer for ages that wont break the bank,did it cost you much?

It's there more than 2 years!
    It was pretty cheap, as far as I recall (maybe €15).
    Can't vouch for the quality as I've only mixed it in Saketinis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

Got a bottle of Choya Sake off Harvest off-license a couple of years ago. But I think there only in Galway .

Advertisement