Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Report of the Commission on Taxation -MOD Warning Post 10

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Beasty wrote: »
    Full report can be accessed here:

http://www.commissionontaxation.ie/report.html

A mere 518 pages to digest

That's my evening sorted :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

This is shocking. I rent my property under the rent a room scheme, I have single parent status, suffer service charges and pay into a pension. All of the above are under threat.

Added to that the loss of part-time work I had, the income levy and health levy, the NPPR on a rental property with negative equity, the possibility of paying residential property tax despite paying €17k in Stamp 2 years ago, the loss of 7.5% gross via wage cuts.

The single parent status is worth €205 per month to me. That alone could put me in a position where I cant afford my maintenance. The Government have completely lost touch with reality to here - the Celtic Cubs who have endeveoured to purchase and make a living for themselves are being crucified, while the unemployment remain static.

It isnt worth it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

mozattack wrote: »
    This is shocking. I rent my property under the rent a room scheme, I have single parent status, suffer service charges and pay into a pension. All of the above are under threat.

Added to that the loss of part-time work I had, the income levy and health levy, the NPPR on a rental property with negative equity, the possibility of paying residential property tax despite paying €17k in Stamp 2 years ago, the loss of 7.5% gross via wage cuts.

The single parent status is worth €205 per month to me. That alone could put me in a position where I cant afford my maintenance. The Government have completely lost touch with reality to here - the Celtic Cubs who have endeveoured to purchase and make a living for themselves are being crucified, while the unemployment remain static.

It isnt worth it.

What is your concern about the pension proposals? It seems to me that there is an element of "redistribution" from higher rate to basic rate taxpayers, which would be of benefit to those who are worse off

The proposal on property taxes includes a transitional period for those who bought a property in the previous 7 years to reflect the fact they will have recently had to pay stamp duty

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

extraice wrote: »
    More BS again on new taxes , F**King more cash out my pocket for the free loaders in Ireland , Yes about time some ask who pay for are non-nationals in ireland , i keep hearing that get free cars houses and so on , dont have to pay any tax on wage for 2 years but when Irish person get laid off , here told , not getting a penny for one year ... are more from the dole office
    Now want more on the fuel price , god dont we pay more on taes all ready

GET PISSED OFF WHAT HAPPEN . time to give up the job get more on the dole
    Well I'm one of those "non-nationals" and I have paid tax on all my employment earnings since coming to Ireland. If my employer decides to give me a "free" car or house (and they don't, by the way), that is part of my deal with my employer, and I would pay tax on the benefit (as would someone who is an Irish national and resident in the State)

The one benefit I get (as someone who is tax resident, but not domiciled in Ireland) is I am allowed to earn investment income and capital gains on assets held outside Ireland and only pay Irish tax when (and/or if) I bring the income or proceeds into Ireland (the UK has similar rules). The proposals are to remove this "benefit". I have absolutely no problem with this (although it may encourage others who currently pay a lot of income tax in Ireland to leave the country)

Overall these proposals are intended to be broadly neutral (ie they are not aimed at raising any more tax in total). However there will be winners and losers. The winners will generally be the worse off in Irish society, and the losers will generally be the better off (including some of those non-nationals you are referring to)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Beasty, re your comments on pension relief. Well i am sorry, I am not "better off" cos I have income at the higher rate. Yes I get more relief than standard rate tax payers on pension contributions but that is because I pay more tax. I would prefer not to pay the higher tax and not have the higher relief.

Average rate of tax on drawdown of pensions is 30% so they can't play with it too much.

The country is a joke, lazy people playing the social welfare system alligned to overpaid civil servants has RUINED the country. In 10 yrs time we will have little to no restaurants, pubs etc 'cos all of our disposable income will be lost to social welfare players and overpaid teachers, doctors etc.....

• Advertisement

Beasty, re your comments on pension relief. Well i am sorry, I am not "better off" cos I have income at the higher rate.
    I use the terms "better off" and "worse off" as relative terms. Someone paying higher rate tax is generally (but not always) better off than someone paying basic rate tax. I am not attempting to support where the cut-off is, or suggesting someone paying higher rate tax must be rich or "well-off".

Ultimately this country has a (relatively) expensive public sector and welfare system to support, which means that those who do pay tax end up paying more than those in countries with a broader tax base. One of the intentions of this paper is to put foward a proposal that broadens the tax base (without making any comment on whether the total tax take should be increased, decreased or stay at the same level). Inevitably, with such parameters there will be some who fare better and some who fare worse than they do under the current system.

Beasty, fair comment.

Would suggest that the civil service wages are more than "relatively" expensive, put crank that up to extremely expensive. They have the country on its knees.

An example of this is a P.E. teacher earning €76k per annum for working probably 32 weeks in the year. You couldn't make it up. Also I know a retired teacher who gets close to €100k p.a. in pension and salary for doing cover for absent teachers. €100k p.a for teaching...

(but then again, we can't say anything bad about those who teach our kids, can we?)

On the Report - never seen a Report lacking such financial viability. It was like they for the latest Taxation Summary 2009 and worked down through the Reliefs and Exemptions etc, disallowing this and modifying that. Amateurs.
    I don't blame anyone for getting what the system allows them to get. It is ultimately down to the system (and the politicians who delivered this system to gain popularity in their quest for power)

My personal view is this country cannot afford to increase taxes much more, as to do so will encourage those who pay (proportionately) most tax to go and pay their tax to another state

The real issue which has not been faced up to is public expenditure (this should have been on the Agenda for the last Budget, but the politicians bottled it, preferring to leave it until after the second Lisbon vote).

The country just has to go back to 2003 spending levels to get the books in a reasonable state, but again the politicians appear to concerned with their own careers than properly grasping this particular nettle.

Of course, if they do not deal with these issues, the Government will reach its borrowing limits, and will then be unable to pay the public servants and social welfare costs, and no level of taxation will be able to make up the shortfall. The country will then be going cap in hand to the IMF and/or EU, who will require major cuts to public spending before agreeing to bail Ireland out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 budro

The report on taxation and an bord snip are only reports and are being received as if the contents would actually be put in to effect, which is not the case. Neither the current government nor the opposition have the courage to fight the public sector on cost controls or to revamp the tax and welfare systems. I would be happy to pay a water tax if it were to fund proper water treatment and management but not if its going to pay Ryan Turbidy's salary. There is a unique opportunity to point the future of our country in a better direction now but we need a solid plan and politicians with the courage to carry it out. We will most likely have an election before the year is out, so then it will be up to the electorate choose the way forward and demand accountability and sustainability.

budro wrote: »
    The report on taxation and an bord snip are only reports and are being received as if the contents would actually be put in to effect, which is not the case. Neither the current government nor the opposition have the courage to fight the public sector on cost controls or to revamp the tax and welfare systems. I would be happy to pay a water tax if it were to fund proper water treatment and management but not if its going to pay Ryan Turbidy's salary. There is a unique opportunity to point the future of our country in a better direction now but we need a solid plan and politicians with the courage to carry it out. We will most likely have an election before the year is out, so then it will be up to the electorate choose the way forward and demand accountability and sustainability.
    Agreed, but I am not sure any alternative government would have the courage either. The current one is already backing away from the idea of a property tax, because they think it will lose them votes.
    Ultimately, as I indicated above, if Ireland cannot take the action necessary to balance its books, someone else (probably the EU or IMF) will come in to do it for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

MOD WARNING

I have deleted two posts- if you want to discuss the commision's report and the effect of the implimentation of some of the proposals that is fine.

If you want to decend into attacks on persons on social welfare or non nationals that is totally unacceptable and will result in a week's ban instantly.

I will not tolerate bigotry.

Keep it on topic or take it elsewhere. This is not a schoolyard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement