Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Drums

Options
  • 07-09-2009 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

I'm a drummer who has been playing for 6 years and shamefully I don't know my Pearl Targets from my Pearl Exports. I'm looking to buy a new drum kit since I've been playing the same beginner drum kit for far too long. What I'd like to find out is what would be a good kit that anyone could recommend. I'd be looking for something in the €1000-€1500 range. After that I'm fairly broke. Anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

I'm a drummer who has been playing for 6 years and shamefully I don't know my Pearl Targets from my Pearl Exports. I'm looking to buy a new drum kit since I've been playing the same beginner drum kit for far too long. What I'd like to find out is what would be a good kit that anyone could recommend. I'd be looking for something in the €1000-€1500 range. After that I'm fairly broke. Anyone have any suggestions?

It all depends on what style you play and what sound your after to be honest mate.
    €1500 will get ya a decent setup, especially if you go down the second hand road.

Check out the Naas Drum Centre and ask to speak to John.
    http://www.naasdrumcentre.com/
    He's a sound bloke, and know's his ****, he'll put you right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Or you can try www.xmusic.ie
    What do you have at the moment?
    Do you want cymbals aswell, or are you happy with what you've got? Buying new ones will take a big chunk out of your budget.

After a quick breeze through NDC's site, and without knowing what you're looking for, this one is a great bargain. But is only the shell pack. Hardware is extra.
    Pdp Rock kit
    Pearl VBX A great kit, from a great company. Made with Birch shells, for extra punch and low end. Comes with hardware, that will last a lifetime.

I can help you narrow it down if you give me a bit more info as to what you're looking for. ie. 4 piece, 5 piece. jazz, or metal kits etc. I'm a complete gear head, so I know this stuff back to front!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭bathroom gurgle

ok thanks anyway but i've already found what i'm looking for. i only need shells i have everything else. i should have specified that. thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

No worries. What did you get btw? any pics?

i haven't actually got it yet. i was talking to people in Xmusic who are pricing it for me but the guy they usually talk to is on holiday so i won't find out til next week. the plan is to get a Mapex Saturn kit. 22" bass drum, 12" rack tom and 16" floor tom. i have everything else so hopefully it won't be too pricey. this is a picture i have for one i saw on the internet.

http://www.gear4music.com/Drums-and-Percussion/Mapex-Saturn-Shell-Pack-Artic-White-2009-Model/A4A

its got a few more toms than i need but its the same colour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

did you already buy it? i would strongly suggest you ring john at the naas drum center before you buy anything. his shop can not be described over the internet, you have to visit it to get it. it is the shop that lot of irish drummers use for a reason.

what cymbals and hardware are you using?

no i haven't bought it yet. my cymbals aren't the best to be honest. i'll be thinking of getting a new set after i get the drums if i have enough. sabian would be my favourite or paiste but i'm not too sure on more specifics. i'll have a look at the naas drum centre anyway. if you know anything worth knowing on either cymbals or kits let me know
    thanks

if you are going down to naas ring john a day in advance, he is a busy guy and if you show up unexpected he might not be there.

could you list all the gear you have and your total budget for a new kit? i wouldnt spend all my money on a new kit if i had starter cymbals.

for cymbals, i love meinl. i play meinl byzance and i think they are the best sounding cymbals out there. but if you are on a budget i would look at the meinl mb8's or mb10's, there are used by alot of pro's but dont cost the earth. another line i would look at is the paiste alpha line. again, they are really great cymbals used by pro's but they dont cost too much.

dont go down to johns with your heart set on something, go down with an open mind and you will find some great stuff.

ok thanks. i actually called him up today to price the kit i wanted to order and he gave me the cheapest price so far. i have a sabian b8 thin crash (16") and paiste 101 13" hihats and 18" crash/ride. i know its not great but they do the job for the meantime. the kit though is my main concern. from previous recording i've been able to use the cymbals and they sound fine but the kit is untunable because its so cheap. its a dxp, you know the ones they have in Waltons? anyway i don't even play it anymore its that bad. i'll going to go and get some advice from people in xmusic first. naas is far away from me when i don't drive

there is a massive sale on at the naas drum center this week only! you will be able to get your kit and a new set of meinls for next to nothing! check it out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement