Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a Smart Telecom Aoylink modem on BT Broadband

• 07-09-2009 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Greetings,

I recently moved into a new place and opted for BT broadband (should have really looked a vodafone but anyway).

I got the text message just now telling me that my broadband is now active, which I assume means that all I need to do is wait 3-5 days for the modem to arrive.

Being impatient, I'd quite like to try to make this BB work in the meantime using my old Smart Aoylink Adsl2+ modem... Does anyone know:

- Do BT run an ADSL2+ service, in the non-24MB areas? I've been told that my line supports up to 7Mbps
    - Is the Aoylink likely to be backwards compatible to regular ADSL?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

An ADSL2 modem will work on ADSL. All you need to do is modify the username and password settings on the modem and change the DNS servers, if they're set. Everything else should probably be the same.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

otron wrote: »

Being impatient, I'd quite like to try to make this BB work in the meantime using my old Smart Aoylink Adsl2+ modem... Does anyone know:

Aren't you meant to have given that modem back to Smart?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭otron

Thanks for the tips... In terms of the return to smart, they didn't seem interested in it when I closed my account - it had been open for around 3 years so they made thier money..

Advertisement