Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pressure Rating of Bathroom Fitttings

Options
  • 07-09-2009 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

All, I am looking online at Bathroom Fittings, specifically, Taps for sink and bath. It seems that almost all fittings that i like have a caveat saying minimum of 1 BAR water pressure required. Now like many, i have a gravity system fed by tank in attic, so i would say at a push im probably 0.3 bar. to upsatrs bathroom. Would these fittings still work? I have to say, in my ignorance, i thought fair enough for a shower- but with taps, my low water pressure wouldnt really matter.. I mean, it even says on those waterfall fittings that min. one bar pressure is required.. Anyone any ideas...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

RJBaracuda wrote: »
    All, I am looking online at Bathroom Fittings, specifically, Taps for sink and bath. It seems that almost all fittings that i like have a caveat saying minimum of 1 BAR water pressure required. Now like many, i have a gravity system fed by tank in attic, so i would say at a push im probably 0.3 bar. to upsatrs bathroom. Would these fittings still work? I have to say, in my ignorance, i thought fair enough for a shower- but with taps, my low water pressure wouldnt really matter.. I mean, it even says on those waterfall fittings that min. one bar pressure is required.. Anyone any ideas...

That's a strange one alright. A minumum of 1 bar pressure means that your tank would have to be 33 feet above the highest tap. If that's the case then most of the population's taps will not work. Are you choosing some wierd taps?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

a lot of the taps from b&q , aldi lidl have this written on them at a guess the systems are more high pressure on the continent . but it shouldnt cause a problem really , manufacturer might have that on there just to cover themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

a lot of the taps from b&q , aldi lidl have this written on them at a guess the systems are more high pressure on the continent . but it shouldnt cause a problem really , manufacturer might have that on there just to cover themselves.

Spot on re: continental fittings many require more than 1 bar, seems to apply more to better quality products and power showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

If the product you are buying says Min 1bar pressure is required for best operation then that means the tap will work less than 1 bar but not by much.
    The kind of taps your looking at are made for a high pressurised system or pumped system.
    You are on a gavity fed system, get the pressure checked before you buy anything, some of the high pressure taps won't work at all with really low pressure, so you might be spending a lot of money on a chrome ornament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 RJBaracuda

yeah it seems most of the turn and lift fittings with ceramic washer are min one bar, but screw fittings are ok for lower pressure. However, Im now on a quest to find some nice 0.2 bar fittings, surely such a thing exists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

No they wont work unless your system is pumped or pressuried which as you rightly note its not.

Its whats commonly known as the difference between european systems and irish. Its why the hot taps are such low pressure on the aldi/lidl systems, cause they are not suitable

Buy everything. except the taps and shower valves. You can then buy them here in a shop. You will still save.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

RJBaracuda wrote: »
    yeah it seems most of the turn and lift fittings with ceramic washer are min one bar, but screw fittings are ok for lower pressure. However, Im now on a quest to find some nice 0.2 bar fittings, surely such a thing exists.

Yes they do exist! Many of the bathroom shops do a range from hudson reed or house of amber. They have a low pressure range and they are massive. Google them for the catalogue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 RJBaracuda

hmmm.. ok its now a struggle to find cheap ones. Open to suggestions, but other than that, case closed, Thanks everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

Also there's http://www.voguebathrooms.com/ some nice looking low pressure taps

• Advertisement
Advertisement