Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

il2 Birds of Prey - Issues connecting to official servers ?

• 07-09-2009 3:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭

Anyone else having issues connecting to the official server ? The only way I can get a game online is by creating my own.
    :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Can't help you out I'm afraid. Might be due to the game's release being 9/9 in America, but that's a guess. How is the game? Was thinking of getting today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Single player is boring and brainless. But you need to complete it in order to unlock many of the Aircraft for multiplayer. Having to play the tutorial at the start is a pain too having gone through it on the demo already.

The multiplayer is good fun when you get a few people on.. So far the max I've managed is 3 v 3.

Alot of the content is actually missing in the game and to be added at a later date via DLC (unsure if at a price) . Eg none of the german planes seem to have cockpits yet .

Also some of the missions are so long and boring that you just want to switch them off after 10 min. I mean there's one mission in Stalingrad where you've to destroy about 100 tanks all over the city...not exactly realistic but you get the idea.
    I've also found a bug where by I shot down all the aircraft before I was supposed too and then when the mission asked me to shoot them down I couldn't complete the mission lol. And had to restart :(

I'll stick with it for another week or two and see what happens but if things don't improve I'll trade it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Wow, that sounds very bad, was expecting better form than that considering all the work done on the various PC games over the years.

Well it's a totally different development studio that's working on it.
    Oleg and his crew only let them use the models from il2 and the game engine i believe.
    I tried again tonight and managed to get a few games of 3 v 3 again but no proper 8 v 8 games.
    my username is galwaydave if anyone fancies a game or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

What the hell are you talking about? Boring and brainless? WTF do you want in a WW2 flight sim, homing missiles, gatlings, and napalm?? The longest mission i came across lasted 20 minutess, what you cant handle a game that has missions longer than 10 minutes? 'oh noes i had to fly around for 10 minutes this is ****'. If it took you that long for one objective you were probably doing something wrong anyway.
    Seriously, dont listen to this crap, if you want a WW2 flight sim and know what to expect from that, i.e, slower pace, dogfighting thats almot more tactical than 'lock on, fire missile', IL2 is excellent. It didnt get 7s - 8's in almost all its reviews cause its borign and brainless. The single player is great, looks absolutely gorgeous, and is the best aerial combat game on xbox since Ace Combat 6. And yes, there does seem to be problems connecting to games too tho.

• Advertisement

0ubliette wrote: »
    What the hell are you talking about? Boring and brainless? WTF do you want in a WW2 flight sim, homing missiles, gatlings, and napalm?? The longest mission i came across lasted 20 minutess, what you cant handle a game that has missions longer than 10 minutes? 'oh noes i had to fly around for 10 minutes this is ****'. If it took you that long for one objective you were probably doing something wrong anyway.
    Seriously, dont listen to this crap, if you want a WW2 flight sim and know what to expect from that, i.e, slower pace, dogfighting thats almot more tactical than 'lock on, fire missile', IL2 is excellent. It didnt get 7s - 8's in almost all its reviews cause its borign and brainless. The single player is great, looks absolutely gorgeous, and is the best aerial combat game on xbox since Ace Combat 6. And yes, there does seem to be problems connecting to games too tho.

Ok I think you need to get your facts straight before you go off in a Rant. I'm an il2 PC freak ! I've been playing the game since it's first release and have played plenty of missons that last an hour or more (online and offline) and loved every second of them ..The difference is they had immersion. The xbox version is boring as hell and the AI is retarded. I mean shooting down 18 bombers on a mission is just nonsense. And not content with that your wingmen can't shoot a single bomber down on their own. (Oh and I'm not playing it on arcade mode either)
    This game you don't even get to take off ? you just appear magically in the middle of the action. There's no Co-op missions , The online game browser doesn't work and it's basically unfinished (missing german cockpits etc).

And saying it's the aerial combat game since Ace Combat 6 means nothing to me as that 'game' was rubbish too.
    To quote the back of the box..' The series that revolutionised the PC combat simulator genre finally lands on the XBOX 360' that statement is simply wrong. This is more akin to Blazing Angels that il2 -1946. The game is supposed to be a simulator ,and it simply isn't.

just because its not a hardcore sim like the pc version doesnt mean its a bad game. Its more action orientated but thats not a bad thing. This is an excellent game and just because its not a full on sim doesnt take anything away from it. Shooting down a bunch of bombers is unrealistic? Neither is goign on a kill spree in GTA or throwing a fireball in street fighter but you know what, its fun. I have real life for realism.

just because its not a hardcore sim like the pc version doesnt mean its a bad game. Its more action orientated but thats not a bad thing. This is an excellent game and just because its not a full on sim doesnt take anything away from it. Shooting down a bunch of bombers is unrealistic? Neither is goign on a kill spree in GTA or throwing a fireball in street fighter but you know what, its fun. I have real life for realism.

Again you are missing the point ..the game isn't the il2 that was released on the PC. It's an Arcade shooter using the models from the il2 engine.
    The fact is that it's marketed as il2 'The Sim' people will buy it expecting it to be similar to il2 which it isn't.

Not only that but the single player game is so simple I finished it in less than 4 hours !!! And I died twice in that whole time once when my wingman crashed into me and secondly when I crashed into a bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

There does not seem to be many people on the servers yet as the game was only released at the weekend. Seem's to be alot of framerate slowdown issues in places but enjoyable none the less. I would like to try out the strike missions but nobody seems to play it.

Still if anyone is intrested in a good ole dogfight sometime give me a shout.

Gamertag : Oakdoubleshot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Again you are missing the point ..the game isn't the il2 that was released on the PC. It's an Arcade shooter using the models from the il2 engine.
    The fact is that it's marketed as il2 'The Sim' people will buy it expecting it to be similar to il2 which it isn't.

Not only that but the single player game is so simple I finished it in less than 4 hours !!! And I died twice in that whole time once when my wingman crashed into me and secondly when I crashed into a bridge.

Thanks for the heads up. Like you, I loved the PC game and was genuinely excited about seeing a sim being tried out on xbox, but after reading your posts I've no interest.

• Advertisement

There is a sim setting you know, with no hud and locked into the cockpit view, and pretty much only playable with a flight stick. The other difficulty is for people who just want a good WW2 aerial combat game. The single player campaign is short but it also unlocks another good few hours worth of single player missions. And its not marketed as being strictly a simulator, its maketed as being, and this is on the box itself if you didnt notice, an arcade shooter or a sim depending on your preference. I honestly dont get what your problem is, if you want the hardcore sim, just play the PC version. Just because the console version is more action oriented doesnt mean its a bad game, its just not what you wanted from it. Coffee.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

God dammit..I was looking forward to this game :(

ah well back to HAWX...at least the multiplayer is excellent in that..

Berkut wrote: »
    God dammit..I was looking forward to this game :(

ah well back to HAWX...at least the multiplayer is excellent in that..

Or you could make your own mind up? There is a demo you know. This is the best aerial combat game on xbox, simple as.

I find this more enjoyable than ace combat which i have. Straffing targets and watching them flitter to bits is more enjoyable then fireing off missiles at some distant target.:) If only there more people online.

There is a sim setting you know, with no hud and locked into the cockpit view, and pretty much only playable with a flight stick. The other difficulty is for people who just want a good WW2 aerial combat game. The single player campaign is short but it also unlocks another good few hours worth of single player missions. And its not marketed as being strictly a simulator, its maketed as being, and this is on the box itself if you didnt notice, an arcade shooter or a sim depending on your preference. I honestly dont get what your problem is, if you want the hardcore sim, just play the PC version. Just because the console version is more action oriented doesnt mean its a bad game, its just not what you wanted from it. Coffee.gif

Yes I play on the sim mode but the cockpit views are terrible too. (and did I mention there are no cockpits for the German planes yet). The flight stick also doesn't work properly with this game. It states that the Saitek controller is fully supported , but it's not and in fact is easier to control with the joypad. (Go to the official forums if you want more info).

But you are correct in saying it's a good WW2 aerial combat game.
    I'll give it one more week to sort out the online issues then i'll trade it in.

Firefox10 I'll add you to my buddy list as I've never got a chance to play any of the strike mission either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Or you could make your own mind up? There is a demo you know. This is the best aerial combat game on xbox, simple as.

played the demo..it sucks :) but it was arcade mode.
    Might get it for the sim mode if it's any good.
    What's the multiplayer like in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Yeah it would be great if we something like Track IR for the 360 when project Natal comes out.

I don't know why more developers use the control mapping in Ace Combat 6 and Over G Fighters in flight games, its superior to all the other flight game settups with a controller. Left stick- pitch and bank, right stick (no click down)- head swivel, triggers-yaw, bumpers- throttle. Then do what they like with the rest. Use the click down stick functions from trimming, would be the best way.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Can you change the control setup in the full game? Having to press the right thumbstick down to look around is really difficult (especially for somebody who has a Track-IR setup on his PC).

No controls cannot be edited..although on the forum there's alot of requests to make this possible so maybe in a future patch. And agreed the look controls are very poor.

Firefox10 I'll add you to my buddy list as I've never got a chance to play any of the strike mission either.

Grand. I'll stick you down on my list too.

Just an update here guys after nearly 2 weeks there's still practically no games online so I traded it into HMV. They are giving 32 Euro Credit :D
    happy days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement