Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carphone Warehouse Insurance

• 07-09-2009 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Bought an N97 at lunchtime, and was told that since it was a 'high end' phone it would require a higher than normal insurance premium.
    Was a bit unsure about it since it cost about the same as my last phone, and wasn't stung for 'high end' insurance at the time, but i relented.

Turns out what happens is they cancelled my VF insurance, and i'm now paying it by a separate direct debit... i assume CPW basically have me paying insurance to CPW.

Does their insurance scheme have any benefits over Vodafones?

I let myself be duped, but how duped have i been?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

ouch wrote: »
    Bought an N97 at lunchtime, and was told that since it was a 'high end' phone it would require a higher than normal insurance premium.

Yeah o2 also charge €9 for n97 insurance, normally it is €6.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ouch

deep1 wrote: »
    Yeah o2 also charge €9 for n97 insurance, normally it is €6.

I forgot to say i'm being charged 13 euro. A payment in two weeks, then every month after that. I can't help but wonder i've let myself be taken advantage of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

I forgot to say i'm being charged 13 euro. A payment in two weeks, then every month after that. I can't help but wonder i've let myself be taken advantage of.

€13 is bit too much IMO, CPW insurance is always expensive compare to others, will vodafone not insure you On n97?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Outlawtorn

Well as far as i can remember the lifeline insurance covers alot of things that network insurance doesent. Eg Water Damage and cracked lcd's and stuff that is generally not covered by warranty.

You can cancel at any time tho mate and if you do it before the two weeks are up you aint charged anything. Just give the t&c's are good read and decide for yerself..just sounds like the person doing the sale didnt go through it properly..

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

I never bother getting phone insurance, CFW always push it...I always say no....14 euro a month?

336 euro over two years. How much ded you pay for the phone? Is that really worth it? You probably paid that for the phone in the first place...

Say you insure a car for two years that is worth 12,000.....would you expect to pay 500 a month? i.e. 24 instalments amounting to 12,000 over two years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Vodafone insurance covers up to €500 euro worth iirc for €6 a month. CPW do push the lifeline. Their is a differences between policies but vodafones will cover accidental damage too.

Davy wrote: »
    Vodafone insurance covers up to €500 euro worth iirc for €6 a month. CPW do push the lifeline. Their is a differences between policies but vodafones will cover accidental damage too.

Good enough for me. VF told me that they don't require extra insurance on the N97 by the way.

Now, how do i go about cancelling the CPW insurance? Have a good mind to just cancel the direct debit, but i'd better make some attempt to play by 'the rules'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Now, how do i go about cancelling the CPW insurance? Have a good mind to just cancel the direct debit, but i'd better make some attempt to play by 'the rules'?

You can cancel if iirc without penalty. You have a few days to change your mind (14 i think), do it sooner rather than later. Just tell them you want to cancel it. I think they can cancel it over the phone aswell, been awhile since i have been dealing with lifeline so cant remember all the details.

Looked at the doccumentation, and what the sales rep didn't tell me is that there are three payments of 13 euro in the first six weeks.. It seems excessive.

Just been on to them, and they've told me that i'll get a cancellation letter in the post.

Sent them a letter, with a proof of postage as well, becasue i just plan don't trust them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The level of claims must be high or expected to be high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

to be fair, cpw cover a bit more than the networks and claiming is less hassle. You can also claim up to 3 times a year, and it includes third party cover. I dont think the others do that. In fact i dont think some networks cover water damage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Insurance is funny.

When people have it, it's a rip off. When people don't have it, why wasn't it offered to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

cpw insurance excess fees are a hell of a loy cheaper hence the higher premium but they do cover a lot more i know voda will only water damage up to certain depth what cpw did you get it in? cover

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Alan666

Experience with making a legit claim has shown this to be nothing more than a dishonest revenue earner for CPW. Like many Insurance Companies and/or Policies they clearly operate a stage gate protocol of fobbing you off first time round. I guess they sucessfully loose a % of the claimants in round one, then you go back and they try another tactick etc etc and only if youre stong enough can you possibly suceed. In my view if you pay someone a monthly fee for a couple of years and make a legit claim, it should be honoured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Alan666 wrote: »
    Experience with making a legit claim has shown this to be nothing more than a dishonest revenue earner for CPW. Like many Insurance Companies and/or Policies they clearly operate a stage gate protocol of fobbing you off first time round. I guess they sucessfully loose a % of the claimants in round one, then you go back and they try another tactick etc etc and only if youre stong enough can you possibly suceed. In my view if you pay someone a monthly fee for a couple of years and make a legit claim, it should be honoured.

Why didn't they honour it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ekwi

I have had CPW insurance on my phone for 2 years now, €10 p/m and I rang to cancel it last year but it still came out this month and I have not received my letter of cancellation. At the time of purchase the policy was really pushed on me by the sales staff and to me it has been a total waste of about €340. I could have got a very fancy phone for that. Beware!!

Advertisement