Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repair problems with New Paddy Electronics in Dun Laoghaire

Options
  • 07-09-2009 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

A friend took her daughter's laptop to New Paddy Electronics in Dun Laoghaire for a fix. It came back to them with the graphics card replaced---but no sound. It went in again, came back with sound---and a new dent on the side, and the battery no longer working. Back it went, and came home ... but this time, when it booted, it was with someone else's hard drive. Back it went.

After two weeks, they're telling this family that they've no idea where the original disk is, and they'll put a new one in for her.

Of course, the daughter's art projects for school are now apparently gone forever.

Have any of you used them for laptop repair? Anything like these odd events happen?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Forget the art projects, any personal information (credit card, name address, etc) that might have been on it is now compromised. I'd be getting a solicitor on to this, as the shop will most likely claim they are not responsible for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

TT-Racer wrote: »
    A friend took her daughter's laptop to New Paddy Electronics in Dun Laoghaire for a fix. It came back to them with the graphics card replaced---but no sound. It went in again, came back with sound---and a new dent on the side, and the battery no longer working. Back it went, and came home ... but this time, when it booted, it was with someone else's hard drive. Back it went.

After two weeks, they're telling this family that they've no idea where the original disk is, and they'll put a new one in for her.

Of course, the daughter's art projects for school are now apparently gone forever.

Have any of you used them for laptop repair? Anything like these odd events happen?

Sounds like at some stage the laptop was completely replaced with another. If its a Dell/HP take the serial number of the machine and ring the manufacturers support line and confirm the serial is registered to you. If its not more fuel to the fire I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Strum

I'm having MAJOR problems with this shop. First of all my motherboard gave up the ghost so he replaced it. Also a new graphics card and extra RAM 1GB.
    Everything was fine for a month or so and then the pc wouldn't boot up.
    I brought it back. He "fixed" it and I saw it working in the shop.
    Brought it back home.
    "Cannot boot, restart and select proper boot device" EXACTLY as it was when I brought it in to be repaired.
    Brought it back again and he tells me it needs a new system upgrade.
    Would I bring in my external hard drive so he could save documents etc before putting on a new system which I did.
    I assumed he meant that he was going to reload XP on it. Brought it home last night again.
    Fired it up today and EXACTLY the same problem...cannot boot etc. Aaaaarrrrgggghhhh!
    Oh yeah that was another 20 euros.
    Now he's trying to tell me that the 20 quid was to put my documents on the HDD and that's all. WTF???
    So I have paid him about 400 quid for basically nothing.

So what do I do now folks?

Cheers!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

OP, definitely issues regarding private data etc there and if there was a mark and additional issues with the unit after getting repaired, then you might have a case again them.. I would have a chat with a solicitor to see where you stand or at least with these guys http://www.consumerassociation.ie/

Strum, what the hell is a new system upgrade???? :confused:

Any idea what he meant by this?

Any new parts he put in should have a 12 month warranty, I cant think of a manufacturer who doesn't offer at least this much. So they should be replaced under warranty and not cost a penny more unless they can prove you did something negligent, which doesnt seem to be the case.

At least your data is safe, so thats something but charging you €20 to do this is a bit cheeky on top of what you already paid him.

Personally, I'd get him to fix the unit properly and if possible get him to come out to your place and install it, so if it doesn't work then he can see for himself and not have you going to his place over and over for the same issue.

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Strum

ToxicPaddy wrote: »

Strum, what the hell is a new system upgrade???? :confused:
    Any idea what he meant by this?

Tox

Thanks Tox.

After getting the "Cannot boot, restart and select proper boot device" error I brought it to him to sort.
    He said he did and I saw it working in the shop but when back home I got the same error.
    Brought it back again.
    He asked me how long it had been since I updated the system, as in, reload XP onto it. (I thought he meant)
    I told him never.
    So he suggested I bring in my external HDD to save my work before he upgraded the system, and I assumed he meant he was going to reload windows on to it, BUT it appears now that there is NO system on it and that's why it cannot boot.
    Very confusing altogether.
    So basically I have a HDD here with new motherboard, new graphics card, extra RAM, it won't boot and I cannot reload XP.
    I tried doing a repair of XP from my own disk and it won't let me now.
    I'm just going to have to write it all down step by step and go through it with him.
    The Chinese/English language barrier does NOT help either.
    I'll let you know how it goes.
    Thanks for the help/advice/links etc.

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Strum wrote: »
    So basically I have a HDD here with new motherboard, new graphics card, extra RAM, it won't boot and I cannot reload XP.
    I'm thinking you have a Dell/HP/etc laptop, that needs a Dell/HP/etc motherboard or it may not allow you to reinstall XP?

When did you buy the laptop, from who, etc? If Dell, maybe ring them up, and check if the laptop you have is the one you originally bought?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

TT-Racer wrote: »

Do several searches through that other persons hard drive.

If you find a phone number, name, handle, anything google it. It might bring up an ID on a social networking site etc and lead you to its previous owner. There might be another half to this incident.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement