Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aion-OB/CB players, is it any use?

Options
  • 07-09-2009 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

So my recent MMOs that go under the category of "fail and I have been burned by are as follows" Age of Conan, Warhammer, Is Aion actually going to live up to the hype?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

Even in beta it pisses all over aoc, warhammer etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Trust me this is no AOC,LOTRO,Warhammer, its so much better then those titles.
    Its already massive in Asia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

I felt like yourself after being burned by AOC, War etc., but really, have to say that AION looks, feels and plays like a well finished and promising game.
    Can't say what holds out in end game and what it's all going to be like at higher levels but for now, for what I've seen and played of the open beta so far - it looks and plays pretty bloody good.

Only real gameplay problem I have an issue with at the moment is the very slow regeneration of health/mana - even when resting, seems to be a lot of downtime involved and dunno how that's going to play out with pvp as the casting takes bloody ages as well. Reckon I'd be dead before I managed to get a single decent damaging spell off in pvp - hoping that improves at later levels.

The character animation also could do with some improvements, seems to be very little fuidity in the movement of your character when just walking/running around, it just doesn't feel/look right to me anyway.

Am I right in thinking there's also only going to be 4 classes ? Warrior, Priest, Mage and Scout ?
    I know you can go off on different tangets at later levels with either of those 4 classes but, just seems very limited having to pick from only 4 classes to play.

Anyway, I think the game so far shows a lot of promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Seems like a decent title so far alright; the only criticism I have so far is the mouse-look and movement implementation is annoyingly glitchy on my machine.

Otherwise it pretty much feels like a kind of mashup of Warhammer and WoW with a touch of any decent Asian MMO you can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

So for those in the know (and have played both) would you go for Aion or Champions online at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭xeni

So for those in the know (and have played both) would you go for Aion or Champions online at the moment?

Depends, both are different in style. While I have a lifetime sub for Champs Online, atm my vote would prolly go for Aion, it's been out for quite some time in Asia and you can see by the updates which way the game is going. With Champs and their updates its a pure hit and miss (I know I know, the game has just been released), especially lately with the stealth nerf and very poor comunication from Crypic side. For me Champs atm went from playing a superhero to being an idiot in spandex who can't beat two drunk punks :/ (Unless you're using one of the 'yet' not nerfed specs). I still believe they'll pull it off, but changes like that should be made in beta (or be heavly tested first) not on release day (without any actual patch notes). Group quests are fun, having to group solo content is not :P

Regarding Aion, one needs to remember that it's an asian mmo, meaning that even with all the new quests there's still gonna be some grind here and there, but that's not always a bad thing :P After all the idea of mmos is grind at some point :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Played Aion since closed beta and champions online since open beta and Aion is the winner by far to be honest. I found Champions to be boring once you got to Millenium City. Everything looked so bland and boring plus the quests sucked.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Am I right in thinking there's also only going to be 4 classes ? Warrior, Priest, Mage and Scout

At lvl 10 you get the choice of going down a specific role within the archtype.
    For example a Priest at lvl 10 can become a cleric or chanter, both priests but very different roles.
    Same for the other archtypes.

See here for details

http://eu.aiononline.com/uk/about/classes/?src=hdr

With regards champions online and Aion, id say Aion is the best from what ive played.
    CO is very fun and a really good mmo, its very different and a lot more action oriented.
    Ill be honest im considering subscribing to both which is somehting ive never contemplated before.
    If i go with one it has to be Aion but id be saying goodbye to CO with sadness.

Do what i done, get both and see why i want to sub to both :)

Advertisement