Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New commission report on taxation! tax tax tax

Options
  • 07-09-2009 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

tax tax tax,,,where do they get off with all these new so called taxes, we must be the most taxed country as is:::

1.51% of wage is tax (levies + income tax)
    2.VAT 22%
    3.Carbon tax.....how much tax on petrol/Diesel already, look at state of roads and all new ones are tolled, plus look at cost ofcar tax (bet that will go up 10% in budget)!
    4. water charges...don't mind but as a single guy, why should my house pay same as a family with 4 kids, baths every day, washing machine on go all time, put a water meter in and is fair then only!!!!
    5. properthy tax...did I not pay stamp duty +VAT when I bough my house which is halved in valve.....

and the list goes on and on....................
    did not see much about our elite dealing with their expences....where else in the world (apart from a few corrupt countries) do you get away with expences where no tax is taken and its MINE and YOUR money.....

i am so sick of this country...
    tax tax tax................
    e should get them out, at least theopposition say it should be cuts in spending not more bloody taxes that I cannot afford..............
    and don't start me on VRT.................
    Your thought greatly appreciated on what we can do?:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭wasper

[QUOTE=
    and the list goes on,
    did not see much about our elite dealing with their expences....where else in the world (apart from a few corrupt countries) do you get away with expences where no tax is taken and its MY and YOUR money.....

[/QUOTE]

Dude this country is a corrupt country, Did you hear Joe Duffy today? Someone quoted an article from business newspaper that the Doyle chain of hotels in 2005 & 2006 paid only €2000 on profits of €310m.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

ya better get used to it, lol, this is only the start, its gonna be fun living here in 3-4 years time haha.

The country has been destroyed and its upto numpty workers to pay for the hole left by the developers that legged it abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

dimma02 wrote: »
    4. water charges...don't mind but as a single guy, why should my house pay same as a family with 4 kids, baths every day, washing machine on go all time, put a water meter in and is fair then only!!!!
    eh? . That's the whole point of the water charges. You put in a meter and pay for what you use
    5. properthy tax...did I not pay stamp duty +VAT when I bough my house which is halved in valve.....
    They recommend a 7 year holiday from property tax from the date you paid stamp duty.

From my reading, the recommendations are quite fair

BTW Their report is a recommendation of re-balancing the tax structure. ie you add in one more fair tax and reduce an unfair or irregular tax elsewhere so that it is revenue neutral. ie get rid of stamp duty and introduce property tax, remove VRT and put the tax on usage, (ie fuel/congestion etc)

The reason you didn't see anything about expenses is that it was a taxation commission. That's like complaining that the plumber didn't wire the house.

What you can do is vote in responsible TD's, emigrate or just suck it up.

id like to pay my 40K part of the 60billion for NAMA off and waver any of these taxes lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Diarmuid wrote: »
    They recommend a 7 year holiday from property tax from the date you paid stamp duty.
    Many people paid 80,000 or 100,000 in stamp duty say 3 or 4 or 5 years ago, have made a huge loss + face paying more tax ( if not now in a few years time ) on this loss, on something they cannot sell ....the lesson is, do not invest in Ireland, invest in assets abroad. Too late for those whose lives have bneen ruined by the government , but by God nobody is now going to invest in this country again for a very long time.

• Advertisement

jimmmy wrote: »
    Many people paid 80,000 or 100,000 in stamp duty say 3 or 4 or 5 years ago, have made a huge loss + face paying more tax ( if not now in a few years time ) on this loss, on something they cannot sell ....the lesson is, do not invest in Ireland, invest in assets abroad.
    Yea that sucks.

The other lesson is not to over pay for assets. But I guess Irish people don't want to be told that the need to learn that lesson.

we must be the most taxed country as is:::
    Not by a long shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Yea that sucks.

The other lesson is not to over pay for assets.
    In some cases it was their pension. A pension now in " negative equity ".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Looks like a lot more people will be emigrating and more money being spent up north. What the hell is going on with this country and does anyone have a clue, taxing your way out of recession does not work :rolleyes: :mad:

I hope a general election comes very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

It is these people overpaying for things that caused the high taxes, why should they not pay them?

A water meter approach seems reasonable and the 7 year holiday for those that paid stamp duty is good too. If stamp duty is greatly reduced and no holiday is offered for the lower rate then this would disappear over time.

The tax commission report does not necessarily mean more taxes, a regular property tax can replace stamp duty and other changes can reduce income tax.

• Advertisement

ardmacha wrote: »
    The tax commission report does not necessarily mean more taxes
    Of course it does and you would have to be very naive to think otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Hang on a second now before everyone starts jumping on a bandwagon....

These are recommendations, not decisions. The aim of the report is to even out the tax system over a number of years so that there are not big fluctuations in the exchequer intake in future years like we had because of the property bubble.

If you want people to blame, blame the politicians who got us where we are right now with their short term outlook and big business buddies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

From the heads it appears that this CoT report is fairly tepid stuff.

There is little earth-shattering about it`s contents.

It does refocus attention back to the dreadful decisions of 1979 which in a real sense kick-started Fianna-Fail`s ill fated intercourse with the BIG Property Developers.

It`s worth remembering that our Local Government system has maintained the full Rateable Valuation and Rate Collection machinery which could (some may say Should) be reactivated at a stroke.

What does disappoint me is the CoT`s apparent decision to refrain from addressing the issues surrounding Taxation vs Social Spending.

The recommendation that Local Authority tenants be exempted from any new property tax appears to fly totally counter to any intent to make Taxation as a whole more equitable as does the repeated assurances that the "vulnerable poor" in our Society will be spared any hardship.

It`s all sounding a wee bit too Political for my liking.... :rolleyes:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Quick question. Where the hell do they think families are going to get the money to pay more taxes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tlev

I dont like this 3rd tax band business. Or the water charges. Would you still pay if you had a well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

does the report not say to basically replace the current tax system as opposed to adding ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Quick question. Where the hell do they think families are going to get the money to pay more taxes?

Quite possibly by selling the family car.
    My own father did not own (could not afford to run) a car until well into his 40`s.

Dispose of Mobile Phone/s.
    Somebody is paying for all of the angst-ridden teenage conversations on the Dart/Bus.

Divert the money from this years Foreign Holiday.....weekends in a Wexford caravan are now back on the horizon.

Divert the Golf Club/Gym/Sailing Club membership fees.

Reallocate the SKY Sport/Movie Channel subscriptions.
    Reallocate the Tray(s) of Budweiser and other Alcoholic bev costs to your tax bill.

Yep,there are many many things which we have become accustomed to taking for granted which will now simply move out of our reach...we will be UNABLE to afford them.

It`s going to take a while for that reality to hit home but it will.

However,and as alluded to by the CoT reports reluctance to deal with the relationship between Taxation and Social Welfare spending,the real issue is what the DSFA`s customers are prepared to surrender....Therein lies the crux of the matter :(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 AntiPropertyTax

AlekSmart wrote: »
    My own father did not own (could not afford to run) a car until well into his 40`s.

Somebody is paying for all of the angst-ridden teenage conversations on the Dart/Bus.

Divert the money from this years Foreign Holiday.....weekends in a Wexford caravan are now back on the horizon.

Reallocate the Tray(s) of Budweiser and other Alcoholic bev costs to your tax bill.

Yep,there are many many things which we have become accustomed to taking for granted which will now simply move out of our reach...we will be UNABLE to afford them.

However,and as alluded to by the CoT reports reluctance to deal with the relationship between Taxation and Social Welfare spending,the real issue is what the DSFA`s customers are prepared to surrender....Therein lies the crux of the matter :(

The trouble is when you take that much money out of the private sector economy , it will lead to less money for people to spend in little shops, cafes, garages, small businesses, and then these places will start to close down or reduce their staff numbers, and then those staff sign on and are on the dole, and the government not only has to pay their dole but also has to do without their income taxes. so the whole thing becomes counter-productive. you end up with a small very heavily taxed private sector , massive unemployment, a very large public service / dole bill , penal taxes and a stagnant economy - welcome back to the 80's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Is public transport really that much cheaper? My car costs e1600 a year to run, 12 monthly bus passes cost e1200 and then factor in saved time.

Weekend's in Ireland for a family can be quite costly. Nearly as cheap for a family to have a cheap holiday and at least have some fun for the year.

Without generalising i'd say those that can afford Golf/sailing club memberships aren't really worried about all this.

As for gym, do you not listen to Ben Dunne's ads?? Sure it's only the cost of a cappuccinoa per day! :D

Seriously?!

I think thats quite a simplistic view of things to just say cut out all that stuff.

From what I see a lot of people have already shed a lot of the excess spending. People aren't going out as much, getting buses home instead of taxis, not eating out etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

meh, spending less and everything is grand but having to spend it on fixing the government's ****-ups is ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Jesus my family can't afford ANY holiday, ANY membership fees and they barely drink. WTF are we doing wrong :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

You are right Alek, all we can do is ride out the storm.

But the paradox that the government wont see is that if we are taxed too much we cant spend on the luxuries (and bare essentials!) that they rely on so much for their VAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr Kamikazi

Since my thread was closed, here it is:

When I bought my house, I paid €20k stamp duty.
    Apparently that wasn't good enough, so now those b*stards are planning to take another Grand a year of me.
    No f*cking way.
    When that letter arrives I WILL wipe my ar*e with it, stuff it back into the envelope and send it back, addressed to:

C*nt
    Dublin

Bang, straight onto Brian Cowen's desk.
    With that letter will be a declaration that I will rather rot in prison than give those fat f*cks one cent.
    And I can only encourage everyone to do the same!

Mad_Max wrote: »
    Is public transport really that much cheaper? My car costs e1600 a year to run
    Really? Are you sure of that figure?
    Here is a simple spreadsheet with pretty optimistic figures (1.4l petrol, 30km per day, practically no service) and I still get to €2000. Are you sure you are not ignoring big ticket car services? I've been tracking every penny I spend for the past few years and the car cost comes out at well over €2500 pa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

It's all well and good saying cut back on spending to the average person. And i think a lot of people have already been doing that. But what about Government spending and salaries? You wouldn't see them willing to cut back on anything.

You are right Alek, all we can do is ride out the storm.

But the paradox that the government wont see is that if we are taxed too much we cant spend on the luxuries (and bare essentials!) that they rely on so much for their VAT.
    hmm, i wonder if we'll be the poorest country in the EU in the next 2 years?

Another 2 or 3 budgets like whats proposed and if implemented there really will be no point in working in ireland. While it would be nice to have a bit of optimism its completely impossible with the current government. All the proposals are simply going to stagnate the economy more and increase the level of unemployment meaning that this could last a lot longer than anyone expects.

Whats worse is if Ireland is still in recession when the rest of europe comes out and interest rates rise again, the longer this worldwide recession lasts at the moment the better off( relatively ) we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr Kamikazi

I used to be on the dole.
    Making a phonecard last months, stealing cable (put a Y piece in my neighbors), having a foreign registered car (MUCH cheaper to run), never going out, not spending anything, doing as many cash only jobs as possible, breaking into the heating system to get free heat,
    in other words, spending NOTHING and ripping the state off at any given opportunity, legal or not.
    Back to that?
    Nah, selling my house and buying one in a proper country for less than I made.
    But do it now, if this comes in, property will go down another 20%, retail will collapse and you won't get more than a fiver for your house.
    This country is currently going up like the Hindenburg.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭wasper

SeaFields wrote: »
    Hang on a second now before everyone starts jumping on a bandwagon....

These are recommendations, not decisions. The aim of the report is to even out the tax system over a number of years so that there are not big fluctuations in the exchequer intake in future years like we had because of the property bubble.

If you want people to blame, blame the politicians who got us where we are right now with their short term outlook and big business buddies.

These 'recommendations' are softeners. They are letting us getting used to the idea, before they hit us with taxes.

RonMexico wrote: »
    Jesus my family can't afford ANY holiday, ANY membership fees and they barely drink. WTF are we doing wrong :confused:
    +1

I just about get by and have no social life (can't afford it), if all these new taxes come in God only knows what me and my family will do :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Looks like a lot more people will be emigrating and more money being spent up north. What the hell is going on with this country and does anyone have a clue, taxing your way out of recession does not work :rolleyes: :mad:

I hope a general election comes very soon.

any alternative goverment which includes labour will see a further increase in taxes

Advertisement