Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A-GPS; Once-off download or not?

• 07-09-2009 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

When using A-GPS do I need to do a fresh 'download data' every time I change location? Or is it the case that this is just a once-off download when I get the phone, and after that the GPS works fine?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Its everytime you use the gps to locate your position.Helps find it faster using cell data

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

tonyj wrote: »
    When using A-GPS do I need to do a fresh 'download data' every time I change location? Or is it the case that this is just a once-off download when I get the phone, and after that the GPS works fine?

it will only use data first time and then you can change the location without closing app, and new data will be charged every time you start the Map.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 wmMagner

you can always turn if off if your worried about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If your phone supports java, you can download a couple apps that allow you to download maps off the Interweb and store them in memory. You do the download on a Pc and transfer the maps over. There is a bit of fiddling about required.

http://www.trekbuddy.net/forum/

You can get maps for it from here: gm2tb - GoogleMaps 2 TrekBuddy maps

Trekbuddy will show you where you are on a map but won't give you turn by turn instructions.

Nav4all will give you turn by turn and does download the maps, but you can download the maps while you are hooked to WiFi then set off on a planned route. They claim it uses minimal data once the initial downlaod is done.

http://www.nav4all.com/site2/www.nav4all.com/index.php

Advertisement