Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live in Dublin?

Options
  • 07-09-2009 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I'm moving to Dublin with my husband and 2 months year old baby in January. We are now trying to figure out in what area we should live.

We want to live in a nice, family friendly and secure area close to the city centre. Also it would be nice if it had a "village" centre so you have everything you need and don't have to go in to the city centre every other day.

My husband will be working in Finglas, so it shouldn't be more than 30 min by car from there.

I would be so grateful for any help we could get!!

KR
    Isse

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Isse most areas in Dublin have their pros and cons, and unfortunately none are guaranteed to be safe and secure either.

Most Dublin suburbs are self sufficient too, you'd rarely have to go into the city for anything.

Are you looking to rent or buy? Is it short or long term?

Do you prefer the idea of a house or would you live in an apartment.

Obviously you don't have to give me the answers to any of this but you'd need to have the answers for yourself before thinking about where to go.

If your husband has to be a 30 minute drive from Finglas at peak hours then you'd be limiting your area as the traffic can get very heavy.

Have a look at www.daft.ie it does both lettings and sales, have a look at places near to Finglas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Sandymount is perfect for you. It's like a little lost village next to the city centre.

(Irish people, if you've never been to Sandymount you should check it out).

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

Try Phibsbouragh, Rathmines and Lucan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭TirNaNog.

Glasnevin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Isse

Thanks a lot you guys!
    We're looking for a house, to rent.
    What are your opinions on Clontarf?
    Thanks again for helping.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Wuggectumondo

Yes I would HIGHLY recommend Clontarf and Killester. Killester would be quite a handy drive to Finglas and has a village centre. Drumcondra Road is also handy for Finglas but Clontarf and Killester and nicer.

I've just moved from Phibsborough... wasn't mad about the village at all.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Sandymount is perfect for you. It's like a little lost village next to the city centre.

sandymount is a really bad idea for working in Finglas.

Clontarf, Drumcondra/Glasnevin sound like they would be suitable for the OP.
    I'd probably lean toward Clontarf, by the sea, plenty of parks, beside the dart for trips to city centre/howth etc and only a shortish drive to Finglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

AARRRGH wrote: »

Sandymount? A nightmare to drive or get public transport to Finglas from there, nice as Sandymount is.

OP - look at Castleknock or Clontarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Research the Swords area :)
    Has a village/shopping centre. According to wikipedia has the 3rd highest populated village in all of Ireland.

Suggesting it because I live there :D

Clontarf is a lovely area it has every thing you need,but its about 50 mins to finglas in rush hour

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Isse

Thanks again that you all are taking the time to come with recommendations.

I just have two additional questions:

I've without success trying to find on the web where the village centre in Clontarf is. Is it around on Vernon ave?

Also we've been looking on Malahide as an option. Is it ok to live there and commute to the city or do you consider it to be too far out?

Cheers and have a nice evening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Wuggectumondo

Yes around Vernon Avenue and there are a few cafes along Clontarf Road, from the police station. Vernon Avenue would be that bit further away from Finglas...

Check out Home Farm Road and Griffith Avenue Drumcondra... nice family areas and not far from Finglas.

Killester and Raheny have more of a "village centre" though

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

TirNaNog. wrote: »
    Clontarf is a lovely area it has every thing you need,but its about 50 mins to finglas in rush hour

haven't done it it a few years, but it never took me any more than half that time.
    Isse wrote: »
    Thanks again that you all are taking the time to come with recommendations.

I just have two additional questions:

I've without success trying to find on the web where the village centre in Clontarf is. Is it around on Vernon ave?

Also we've been looking on Malahide as an option. Is it ok to live there and commute to the city or do you consider it to be too far out?

Cheers and have a nice evening!

clontarf village centre would prob be considered to be the seafront. Depending on where you are living the shops at killester could be closer.

Malahide is a nice place to live but it would be an awkward drive in rush hour to finglas, not horrendous though just not great.

copacetic wrote: »
    haven't done it it a few years, but it never took me any more than half that time.

clontarf village centre would prob be considered to be the seafront. Depending on where you are living the shops at killester could be closer.

Malahide is a nice place to live but it would be an awkward drive in rush hour to finglas, not horrendous though just not great.

On a motorbike!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Castleknock village wins hands down for nearby location and hospitality if you want an area thats upmarket, a short drive up the M50 to Finglas exit.(no delays to this turnoff point)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 funkyskunk

Yeah, I would definately recommend Castleknock. Has its own village, close proximity to Blanchardstown shopping, the M50 and the city centre. Quick access to Finglas. It's safe and having the Phoenix Park so close is a great bonus. Does suffer from really bad traffic congestion at peak times though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

WELL santry or glasnevin is close to finglas,theres a large shopping centre in santry ,the omni center,has a tesco branch in it.Theres a back road from blanchardstown which goes to finglas .SO blanchardstown /castleknock would be handy in regard to driving to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Santry,Castleknock, Swords, Glasnevin, Whitehall.

You should get a decent enough price in Santry and Swords. Glasnevin and Malahide may be that bit more expensive. Whitehall is quite busy, the traffic is bad at rush hour.
    Definitely research Swords. Malahide is lovely but it depends on your budget. Clontarf is a nightmare to get anywhere in rush hour, particularly across the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Isse wrote: »

Malahide is one of the nicest areas in Dublin IMO. Lovely Village with great pubs/restaurants/cafes, great amenities in the area (Lovely Park, right beside some of the nicest coastline\beaches in Dublin, great sporting facilities). Also some great schools in the area.

Commuting to the city is relatively easy as there is the Dart which takes about 25/30 mins and regular bus services which would take a little bit longer. You could drive to Finglas village in rush hour in less the 30 mins.

If you can afford it I would highly recommend living there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Raheny is another option.

A house in Clontarf may be difficult to have a decent rental property/price and I would see Castleknock the same. Killester has nice parts but I would personally think Raheny has more to offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I drove around clontarf / raheny / killester yesterday with my husband and baby and took a walk in Saint Annes Park. Love it there, was checking out the area in detail and hope to move there in a few months. My husband works in Harolds Cross so the commute will be a challenge for him but he's a very keen cyclist, ( Does 100 km cycles, owns 3 bikes) so I'm not letting his work dictate where we live.

Proximity to Saint Annes Park and the Sea make it the best part of Dublin to live in IMHO ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ZYX

gurramok wrote: »
    Castleknock village wins hands down for nearby location and hospitality if you want an area thats upmarket, a short drive up the M50 to Finglas exit.(no delays to this turnoff point)

Always thought Castleknock to be a pretty soulless place. It doesn't really have a village, just a small area with a few shops and a petrol station. Also has huge traffic problems. Near the park is good but nothing else about it would appeal to me

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ZYX

Grawns wrote: »
    I drove around clontarf / raheny / killester yesterday with my husband and baby and took a walk in Saint Annes Park. Love it there, was checking out the area in detail and hope to move there in a few months.

Proximity to Saint Annes Park and the Sea make it the best part of Dublin to live in IMHO ;)

I would agree with you on all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

ZYX wrote: »
    Always thought Castleknock to be a pretty soulless place. It doesn't really have a village, just a small area with a few shops and a petrol station. Also has huge traffic problems. Near the park is good but nothing else about it would appeal to me

I agree on all that too. My sister and a lot of school friends live in the area and it has nothing to recommend it to me. I currently live the town side of the park. Hate leaving the phoenix park ( have also considered and dismissed Chapelizod) but know Castleknock very well and would never consider it a good place to move to. That said the Educate Together Junior School there has a great reputation.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

ashbourne

fifteen minutes from finglas

a few good restuarants, some lovely pubs and has a villagey country feel to be

would highly recommend living there

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I really depends on how much you have to spend.

If you have the money Drumcondra and Glasnevin are lovely and near town as well as Finglas.
    Ashbourne is in the country (county meath) and housing would be alot cheaper so if you do not mind being far from the city it is definately worth a look.There is good value to be had there.
    Malahide is a lovely spot,the dart goes there too which is a bonus.Houses are expensive though and it is not that near Finglas.
    Clontarf and Dollymount are lovely too,near the sea and city centre.Houses would be quite expensive but so worth it!
    Castleknock is ok,the train goes through it which is handy but there is nothing special about it.

Advertisement