Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE axe "The Bill"

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Gadgie wrote: »
    Because millions of people around the world still watch and enjoy it.

I don't see why you continue to comment on something that you don't like.

As I said The Bill has been losing viewers for a very long time if ITV were in the US they would have canceled it along time ago.

I don't see the point of discussion boards when you can't have an opinion? :rolleyes: I am after all replying to your comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Elmo wrote: »
    It isn't that I can't accept that people like it, just in the same way as I have no problem people liking with Britain's Funniest Doormats etc

I am just saying that shows shouldn't last as long as they do. For example I watched The Bill in the early 1990s when it was relatively new, but it is the same old same old. Time for something new and perhaps different not as contrived or not as branded. Unfortunately no matter what the Producers do with the Bill its brand at this stage is old and damaged. Time for them to move on.

The Bill had its day 20 years ago let it die, why hold on? change is good?

Well you obviously didnt see it since the 90s, because its not the same it has changed in recent times. I bet if I named out some programmes that are still going a long time and I said that they should take them off, I would be slated aswell. The point is all programmes have a following and it must be up in the ratings since ITV have it still it on. Just because you dont like it, thats not a reason to take it off. As for us tv, not a fan of alot of the stuff that comes from there, but there are alot of people who do and thats fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Going to settle down and watch one of my favorite programmes, "The Bill":) now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

As I said The Bill has been losing viewers for a very long time if ITV were in the US they would have canceled it along time ago.

All shows have shed viewers over the past number of years, due to changing TV viewing habits and the advent of the multichannel age. The Bill has lost more than some, mostly due to ITV continually changing the format in order to capture different types of viewers. If anything, we should be thankful that ITV are not like the US networks, who cancel shows at the first sign of trouble.
    I don't see the point of discussion boards when you can't have an opinion? :rolleyes: I am after all replying to your comment.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but you're not discussing anything, just repeatedly posting the same comments stating that you don't like the show and that you think it should be axed. Do you have anything new you wish to add?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Gadgie wrote: »
    You are of course entitled to your opinion, but you're not discussing anything, just repeatedly posting the same comments stating that you don't like the show and that you think it should be axed. Do you have anything new you wish to add?

Yes actually I do :D
    Well you obviously didnt see it since the 90s, because its not the same it has changed in recent times.

As I said before due to the nature of a brand when you destroy a brand it is very difficult to build back a loyal audience. ITV with all of its soaps are taking the easy way out by not thinking about newer long running shows that might change the face of TV Drama.
    If anything, we should be thankful that ITV are not like the US networks, who cancel shows at the first sign of trouble.

I don't think this is true. ITV continue to push the same programmes because it is unwilling to take a risk on new programming. In the US they take the risk if it doesn't work it is cancel and they try again and if that does work they try again and they will end up having a certain number of shows that last for 10 to 15 years, imagine if ER or NYPD Blue were still on the air. I think they are great shows but after a certain number of years they become old and it is time to change.

The discussion is about RTÉ axing "The Bill" and tbh I don't think they should buy the show at all. :rolleyes:

Advertisement