Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for boundary fence for dog please?

Options
  • 07-09-2009 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Some of you may recall i had an issue with my young GSD who was blamed for going out to my neighbours on one occasion and mouning a bitch in heat.

Anyway after that incident i purchased a big dog pen and it works fine but i would love to also give my dog the freedom of our large garden too and not have ot be watching his every move when he is out there.

We have a very large garden about 3/4 acre and all aroun dthe boundary there are large 18yr old evergreen conifer trees (lilandae). These trees are a pretty secure boundary exept the dog can get out under the stems where there are amall gaps close to the ground.

I am thinking of purchasing a roll or two of sheep wire and placing it along the edge of these trees.

Just wondering if anyone else with dogs has carried out similar before and any ideas of costs involved? I stepped out the boundary and its approximately 300m roughly or less as there are sheds etc.

Any tips appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

My parents had the exact same kind of garden as you do - very large with a boundary of conifers. It parameter sounds bigger than yours though. We got it secured in a day but it was a lot of work!

We used:
    chicken wire (large stuff, 4ish foot tall)
    wire (a few rolls)
    metal stakes (slightly taller than chicken wire)
    outdoor staple gun
    metal tent pins

We started at the shed and worked our way around. Weave the stakes into the wire with a little left at the end then put it into the ground as close to the shed s possible. Then staple the little extra bit into the shed to secure. We cut some of the lower branches or the trees because the holes in the wire were so small that they wouldn't fit through (you probably won't have that problem if you are using sheep wire). At the tree trunks, say every 3/4, we weaved a stake through the wire and put it into the ground up against the trunk, than stapled a few times on each side of the stake to secure it up to the tree. We used the tend pins to secure the bottom of the chicken wire to the ground between stakes (used the wire roll to weave through the chicken wire to make is extra secure). We tried to put mud and stuff on the end of the chicken wire to hide the stakes. The branches grew back on the trees and now you can't even see the wire.

Hope this helps!

I didn't pay for the supplies so I can't help you with pricing the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

I there.

I have a wooden fences with a double wire fence front and back for my dog.

I can't rememer how much it cost as I have it done a few years. I always say it was money well spent.

Shouldn't be crazy money though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

Would an electric fence be out of the question for you? I mean an agri type for cows.

looserock wrote: »
    Would an electric fence be out of the question for you? I mean an agri type for cows.

Please be very careful if using the agri ones. They can give a dog a heart attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 hidden

Hi,
    i live on a site about the same size, i got a petsafe (http://www.petsafe.net/Intl/IE.aspx
    )radio fence, and it works very well, you get 100m of wire with the unit, i bought extra, place the wire around the site, the dog gets a warning tone when he's approaching the edge of the safe area from his collar and if it keeps going he gets a a mild shock(not too bad i tried it first), our dog after 1 day knew where was safe and where was not. we have not looked back. i got my petsafe from the buy and sell cost me €180, extra wire €20

• Advertisement

hidden wrote: »
    Hi,
    i live on a site about the same size, i got a petsafe (http://www.petsafe.net/Intl/IE.aspx
    )radio fence, and it works very well, you get 100m of wire with the unit, i bought extra, place the wire around the site, the dog gets a warning tone when he's approaching the edge of the safe area from his collar and if it keeps going he gets a a mild shock(not too bad i tried it first), our dog after 1 day knew where was safe and where was not. we have not looked back. i got my petsafe from the buy and sell cost me €180, extra wire €20

I had one for my dog but after a week he got wise to it. He would trot on up until the tone starts then lie down while the collar was beeping away. Battery runs down and when the beeping stops dog escapes.

I was actually rather impressed with the intelligence of him but then had to double fence.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If you can use the trees to attach the wire then that might be the most practical route. Although you'd need to use a stronger wire than, say, chicken wire, strong galvanised chainlink will last longer and is strong you'll probably need the tension wire as well. The chainlink costs 1 euro per foot if I remember correctly priced it a few months back. The tension wire isn't too expensive I think about 25 a roll depends on thickness and how much you'll need etc.

I use chainlink for the majority of the garden (3/4 acre as well) and found it works well although you have to ensure there are no gaps and then the grass tends to knot around the bottom to close off any diggy spots. If the dog is a digger you'd need to keep an eye one areas and fill them in if he digs, it usually takes a good while for a dog to dig their way out so you should be able to spot any problems before they happen.

If not thought of already perhaps think about having him neutered as well which will stop him wanting to visit the neighbours pooch.

Advertisement