Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Applicants-Introduce Yourself (see Moderator note in post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Congrats Kerry4sam...... Best of luck with it :D;)
    kerry4sam wrote: »
    Applied March 2009
    TEMPLEMORE FEBRUARY 2011 HERE I COME :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Yaaay! Nice one. And it only took two years!

Congo rats to you girl!
    Applied March 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 13 colmwills5

After 1 year and 10 months I finally got the e.mail to start training. Templemore here I come!!! Hang in there everyone you will get there!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭stretch00

Hi,

Applied July 2010, interview due FEB 2011, after that ?? Too old to join regular service, don't think I could mange the pay cut anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

stretch00 wrote: »
    Too old to join regular service, don't think I could mange the pay cut anyway :D

so your doin it for free, legend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

stretch00 wrote: »
    Hi,

Applied July 2010, interview due FEB 2011, after that ?? Too old to join regular service, don't think I could mange the pay cut anyway :D

same here, but you can make this baby work for you too..

like the company I work for love this kind of "developing another skill set" *puke*:rolleyes:

but I aced my end of year review with being in the GR and they're giving me time off with pay to do duty hours:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

lehanemore wrote: »
    same here, but you can make this baby work for you too..

like the company I work for love this kind of "developing another skill set" *puke*:rolleyes:

but I aced my end of year review with being in the GR and they're giving me time off with pay to do duty hours:cool:

any jobs for an underpaid overworked reserve colleague!?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

WilcoOut wrote: »
    any jobs for an underpaid overworked reserve colleague!?

I wish

I'll add your name to the list:D

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

Applied March 2009

Well done Kerry you will love it. All the instructors at the college are great , willing to answer any question and do their utmost to get you through the course successfully. The physical stuff is really good but you need to practise it over and over again to perfect the techniques especially on the cuff course. Had to spend my luch time going over the stuff but eventually got it down perfect.

Started my phase one in April 2010 and started phase 4 in July 2010 and graduated in Nov 2010. The time just flew by.

Am working in a really busy station , have a great unit , the skippers and inspectors are very supportive. Managed to get in a huge amount of hours and still feel there is so much to learn.Have been allowed to participate in normal duties and some unusual ones. Work with some great guys and girls. The better the unit the more experience you will get and the faster you will learn.

Remember keep answering those questions , you will be amazed at how much info you will absorb.

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

robo008 wrote: »
    I did the first interview/test in April this year, BR form in same month I had the Sgts. interview as I handed in the BR form as he was on desk at the time and had a moment spare, (wish i had known as I was just out of work still in snickers and a raggy t-shirt) Had the Supt. Interview wit an inspector, as the Supt. was on leave in early June. Still havnt heard anything regards a medical or even if I have passed these interviews! Would love to start in the reserves before next regular Garda recruitment comes round, which I have heard is this month?????? Anyone care to add any information on this many thanks...

The rumour mill has the next intake in two/three years time but maybe with a change in government on the horizion this may change

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭dentalnurse

Applied March 2009

Congrats!! I got the call for my medical!! It's the 9th of feb! :-) can u tell me what happens when I go for it? Also what date in feb are you starting?? Does anyone know what your BMI has to be!?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Congrats!! I got the call for my medical!! It's the 9th of feb! :-) can u tell me what happens when I go for it? Also what date in feb are you starting?? Does anyone know what your BMI has to be!?

thanks dentalnurse, we are starting on the 4th February.

I've copied your post in the medical thread for your medical questions to be answered over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

finnally heard back from my local station after handing in the BR form. Have to get a more recent reference and meet the sergeant and then the superintendant. Don't know how long it will be after that. Anyone know when the next intake will be stating? thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭hayzer

Interview last March...

Handed BR form in - but it was misplaced for 2 months!!

Had some officers call round yesterday just to put a face to a name!

Anyone else have this suprise visit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 joey198

Applied March 2009
    congrats best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Woodzie1991

Hi all,

I've also joined the waiting game,

-Applied in late September 2010

-Got called for interview and written examination 4-5 weeks after that

-Completed BR Form and went through it with a Sergeant 3-4 weeks after

-Had my interview with the Inspector a week before Christmas 2010/11, again 3-4 weeks after going through the BR Form with Sgt.

-Rang HQ and they said they recieved my form in very early January, and told me the vetting office had recieved it

-They said to call back at the end of Feburary if I havent heard anything

Should I? I'm kind of worried after reading all the posts about people having to wait over a year, two in some cases for a reply! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭eru123

Hi,

if they said to ring back then you should do so. They are getting phonecalls everyday regarding background checks so they wont mind updating you on your checks. They will tell you that 1 or 2 checks are not back yet, or whatever the number is. It will give you peace of mind regarding your application also.

Best of luck

Thanks a million :). I decided to call, spoke to a very nice lady on the phone, she told me my checks are still ongoing, but im at a very good stage and not to worry :). I meant to ask, Is it true that if all the processes so far have been resonably quick, that my checks should be completed fairly lively? :confused:. I would really like to make it to Templemore by Summer :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭eru123

Thats good. No the speed of your application up to now doesnt have an impact on the speed of your checks. What does impact on them is the amount of relations that you have put on your form. (they all need to be checked) and also if they live abroad or not (If they do it will take longer). If you had an address abroad for a length of time that would hold up the checks also. If you have none of tbe above then your checks should be done within a few months and you should have a good chance of seeing templemore during summer time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 CAGM9

Applied in October 2009
    Exam and interview in Nov 2009
    BR form submitted in Dec 2009
    Sgt Interview and Superintendent Interview early 2010
    Lots of relations on BR form (some in the UK)
    Only called for medical in Jan 2011
    Call today telling me that my invitation was coming for the 25th of March for phase one.

For all of ye waiting it can be long drawn out. The best way is to make sure you have no siblings, no spouse and no aunt or uncles aswell as never having left home at any stage.

If you follow those rules it should be relativerly quick, if not youcould end up like me or worse. Gald to have been called though.

Cabt wait to meet some of ye in March:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭seedorf117

CAGM9 wrote: »
    Applied in October 2009
    Exam and interview in Nov 2009
    BR form submitted in Dec 2009
    Sgt Interview and Superintendent Interview early 2010
    Lots of relations on BR form (some in the UK)
    Only called for medical in Jan 2011
    Call today telling me that my invitation was coming for the 25th of March for phase one.

For all of ye waiting it can be long drawn out. The best way is to make sure you have no siblings, no spouse and no aunt or uncles aswell as never having left home at any stage.

If you follow those rules it should be relativerly quick, if not youcould end up like me or worse. Gald to have been called though.

Cabt wait to meet some of ye in March:D
    Got called for medical today, waiting nearly year and a half! So its roughly two months after you start phase 1??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 darkmalteaser

just got the BR there god it huge. just wondering i have applied in donegal but ill have to move down to galway with girlfriend and baby because there is no work for us. is it ok do to this and transfer. Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 collig2

November 2009: applied
    February 2010: interview/written test
    March 2010: handed in b.r form
    June 2010: interview with Inspector
    February 2011: B.r complete
    March 2011: Medical

Long wait, not the longest going by what is on here, hopefully now I will pass the medical!

The february class was full and so I had to wait. There is supposed to be a class in April/may but if you ring the office they will let you know.

Dont worry, the time has flown since the medical. Invitations for March only recieved by email today. Booked into Templemore for the night before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭jc1980

Just got the mail, heading down in march!

jc1980 wrote: »
    Just got the mail, heading down in march!

See you down there. I have been in touch and organised to go down on the Thursday night. Should be a good experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ClioRose

So I'll be seeing CAGM9, dentalnurse and jc1980 on the Thursday!! We should arrange to go for a 7-up when we get down!
    Anyone getting the train from Dublin??

Cant wait to get to Templemore!!!! Looking forward to the training and meeting new people.

As Clionarose said lets meet for a few 7-ups on the thursday night.

See ye all then!:cool:

I rang HQ last week, some of my checks are back, so they said they would pull my file to see what came back, If I dont hear from them, call back in a week or two. Good idea or bad? I feel like im just pestering them! :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭lawnmower1989

I rang HQ last week, some of my checks are back, so they said they would pull my file to see what came back, If I dont hear from them, call back in a week or two. Good idea or bad? I feel like im just pestering them! :/

I know it is hard not to be ringing as you are anxious to get in, as was i. when i graduated in november the total number of reserves was 900, leaving room for roughly 500 more and about 6 or 7000 have applied for those places. So can you imagine the volume of calls the few people are getting everyday from applicants. in my opinion they are just telling people they will look into it to keep you happy. at the end of the day the people you talking to aren't the one's doing the checks, it's a few in SDU.

i know its annoying, but try and be patient mate :)

Advertisement