Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lens Hoods - Petal Shaped or Round?

• 07-09-2009 6:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭

Pretty amateur question I know, I've just ordered a nifty fifty online and am thinking of getting a hood as stated, when ordering is there any difference between the two that i should notice or is it just that the round shaped one is suited to those who are slightly more clumsy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

you could always try these before you buy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

As I understand it, petal lens hoods are for wide angle lenses because otherwise the lens would be able to "see" the sides of the lens hood. If you're telephoto the 'hood won't get in the way.

Strikes me that there should be a specific lens hood available for a prime lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

-Chris- wrote: »
    As I understand it, petal lens hoods are for wide angle lenses because otherwise the lens would be able to "see" the sides of the lens hood. If you're telephoto the 'hood won't get in the way.

Strikes me that there should be a specific lens hood available for a prime lens.

That is my understanding too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

this site has a good article on lens hoods etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If you're using a full frame camera, you'll need the Canon es-62 (or ebay equivalent) and if you're using it on a crop sensor you can et-62 which is a bit bigger and blocks more light...

Discussion here:
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/canonef50mm/discuss/72157607213166652/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭EVGR

Another amateur question: How do you turn a polarising filter with the hood on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

EVGR wrote: »
    Another amateur question: How do you turn a polarising filter with the hood on?

With great difficulty ;-)

Advertisement