Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your first day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

logic123 wrote: »
    thanks for your support leesmon, unfortunatly ive havent found anyone that really is like me, and havent really meshed with anyone else. Perhpas i just feel intimiated like you said, being tough being in a different country, are you on campus or anything? im in roebuck if you want to say hi, anyways i would feel better being cloer toh ome and really i would perform much better if that was so, i think i didnt really give it much thought when i decided to study in a diff country.
    firstly, i dont think youve given it enough time, it has only been just over a week, which really is a short time. everyone is just getting used to the place.
    yes there are groups of people who knew each other before they started in the college and it is kind of intimidating when you see groups of people talking when you know nobody.
    im lucky in that my course only has 20 people, 6 of which are mature students, so really there are only 14 of us in the same age group
    three girls in my course are from the north, one of them i havent spoken to so i dont know how shes getting on but the other two live on campus and both cant wait to get home at the weekend. so for them that helps that they can do that, i think it gets them through the week.
    i dont envy you coming over from the uk , its tough being new and not having the comfort of going home to friends and family at the end of a hard day in college.
    i was really questioning whether i wanted to go on with my course and still feel a little confused about it but tbh i think thats tierdness along with not knowing what you should be studying from lectures etc..
    trying to make friends also is quite exhausting( i sound like a granny now!!) but when your tierd from sitting in a lecture and then trying to talk and be nice is tough!
    would you not try another week? i know you dont like to drink much but maybe a drink or two and head to the student bar may help to break the ice with people in your course, im not really a drinker myself really but i will go out now and then in college and see how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

leesmom wrote: »
    im lucky in that my course only has 20 people, 6 of which are mature students, so really there are only 14 of us

???

OP maybe try giving it another week..would you consider moving to somewhere off campus [but nearby]? Alternatively, you could consider ear plugs - they work a treat. I know you shouldn't have to but its where you are stuck for the moment at least.
    A guy in one of my classes was going to stay somewhere on campus that is quiet, study orientated and you get your meals etc but he didn't end up taking it. Maybe you could look into something like that?

i didnt mean it in a bad way but the mature students stick together and the leaving certs stick together, in classes anyway, god im tierd please dont be quoting me,i wasnt trying to be bitchy although looking back it looks like that:eek:

???

OP maybe try giving it another week..would you consider moving to somewhere off campus [but nearby]? Alternatively, you could consider ear plugs - they work a treat. I know you shouldn't have to but its where you are stuck for the moment at least.
    A guy in one of my classes was going to stay somewhere on campus that is quiet, study orientated and you get your meals etc but he didn't end up taking it. Maybe you could look into something like that?
    and your idea of a quiet place is a good idea.

maybe your feeling a bit homesick too, i know i would be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

i didnt mean it in a bad way but the mature students stick together and the leaving certs stick together, in classes anyway, god im tierd please dont be quoting me,i wasnt trying to be bitchy although looking back it looks like that:eek:

No you're right - just funny reading it like that. AHHH how did I get old :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kav1892

Oh wer is that parking that u can walk from?
    I'm having real problems getting parking too like missed 2 lectures the other day cos I was an hour and a half looking for a spot.....

Any other suggestions would be really appreciated either :pac:

No you're right - just funny reading it like that. AHHH how did I get old :)
    i feel like a bitch now:rolleyes: i worded it very badly:o

Kav1892 wrote: »
    Oh wer is that parking that u can walk from?
    I'm having real problems getting parking too like missed 2 lectures the other day cos I was an hour and a half looking for a spot.....

Any other suggestions would be really appreciated either :pac:
    theres loads of parking in ucd but id be careful where i parked, saw some young guy hitting another car and just driving off today in one of the car parks.
    try going out to the toilet five minutes before your lecture starts, getting lost on the way back and being 20 mins late:p felt pretty stupid:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Had my first proper day as a postgrad. Seems strange to think I'm one of them now.

Found the experience quite hard going. I didn't recognise anyone from the undergrad in the room and it seems like most acquaintances I knew have moved on to pastures new. I found myself retreating into my shell a bit although I did strike up a conversation with one guy. The class is small so hopefully I'll get to know people eventually. Very disappointing shortage of the wimmins though.

If I'm honest I'm not 100% sure I want to be here. I'm disappointed at the lack of hours each week and feel very confused as to what I actually want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kav1892

Yeah I know ders parking there but it takes forever to get a spot like......
    Thought I heard sum1 talking of parking nearby within walkin distance where its easy to get a spot.....?

• Advertisement

a lot of people wouldnt admit to feeling how you do logic123 but be assured there are plenty who feel the exact same right now, but it does get easier,im hoping anyway:)

Kav1892 wrote: »
    Yeah I know ders parking there but it takes forever to get a spot like......
    Thought I heard sum1 talking of parking nearby within walkin distance where its easy to get a spot.....?
    havent got a clue to be honest, i get a lift so until i decide to drive in myself(although think ill have to buy a crap car for those car parks) i dont know much about parking

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Had my first proper day as a postgrad. Seems strange to think I'm one of them now.
    Ditto, after 6 years of undergrad it's rather weird having the yellow bit under my pic on my student card!

And in further proof that I'm evolving into "one of them", I've been in the library 3 out of 4 days this week...

Ditto, after 6 years of undergrad it's rather weird having the yellow bit under my pic on my student card!

And in further proof that I'm evolving into "one of them", I've been in the library 3 out of 4 days this week...

Were you told like I was that you can address professors by their first name now? I think I'll find that pretty weird.

Speaking of the library, probably something I should know by this stage but there's that section on the second floor where you can key in a code and go inside to use the computers. Who gets to use that area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

thats a bit unfair.
    it must be tough being a student from a different country.
    its tough being a new student in ucd when your from the area , never mind when you leave everyone you know and start in a new college all by yourself

Ah, I just couldn't resist. Logic123, you should give it another while. Join some societies and you'll surely make friends (or at least, I'm hoping that's how it works - I need to get to know some more people too).

Were you told like I was that you can address professors by their first name now? I think I'll find that pretty weird.
    We've always addressed lecturers by first name where I come from :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Zuffer wrote: »
    Sounds like you need to get over to the blob in the Arts building.
    I have no idea what that is. Though I think I prefer the idea of staying away from the Arts building. :pac:

I hate the smell that hits you when you enter it. It's a potent blend of food and sweat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Cant wait until week 3 when the first years realise they dont have to go to every lecture. It'll be so much quieter then:).

I'll try to go to every lecture.

I'll really have nothing better to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Davidius wrote: »
    I'll try to go to every lecture.

I'll really have nothing better to do.

I'm mature so i'm stereotypically obliged to go to them all and sit at the front :P

The funniest thing i discovered during orientation was that no-one expects people to go to lectures

Chet T16 wrote: »
    I'm mature so i'm stereotypically obliged to go to them all and sit at the front :P
    I'm too prone to falling asleep in lectures to ever sit up the front of them... even in classes with 8 people in them.

I've noticed that hardly anyone uses a laptop. I thought arts was full of laptops..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

ColmDawson wrote: »
    I've noticed that hardly anyone uses a laptop. I thought arts was full of laptops..

Depends on your subject, I suppose...

I take out my laptop while waiting for a lecture to start in the Science centre.

I play Solitaire. I only found out what exactly I'm supposed to do in that game today. I used to just click and drag cards until something happened. :pac:

Never use it in lectures though.

We've always addressed lecturers by first name where I come from :p

And they told me it was a rite of passage!
    Cant wait until week 3 when the first years realise they dont have to go to every lecture. It'll be so much quieter then:).

Think it was day 3 when I realised that. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

why are you leaving? we all have bad days in there, yesterday i just wanted to leave but today was a bit better. seriously i would reconsider, give it a bit more time and freshers week is next week:)

My feelings about it were kinda up and down this week to, since I don't really know anyone and everyone seems to be in a group.

Kournikova wrote: »
    My feelings about it were kinda up and down this week to, since I don't really know anyone and everyone seems to be in a group.

Which course/subjects do you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

Economics and Politics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Speaking of the library, probably something I should know by this stage but there's that section on the second floor where you can key in a code and go inside to use the computers. Who gets to use that area?
    I couldn't imagine not calling them by their first name, we're just weird in comp sci though.

Advertisement