Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where would you bring a visitor to Cork?

• 07-09-2009 7:38pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello people.
    I have a friend coming from Russia. She'll be in Cork for about 36 hours and I want to know where I should bring her. I think this is the best forum for asking that! I did read the sticky but I'd like people's first hand experiences if possible.

She doesn't drink, likes the outdoors and we don't want to spend too long in the car. She also doesn't like sad things so Titanic museum and possibly Cork Gaol might be out.

I was thinking of starting in Fota, then taking a stroll around Cobh. I'll have to show her around the city itself then. But does anyone have any further ideas? I'm thinking about the evening time too. I'd like to go somewhere that isn't all shut by 7pm. I think maybe small towns will stay open later than the city. Oh, and is there anywhere we could go for a view of the city?
    Also, how long would it take to drive to Kinsale (starting from the Kinsale Roundabout)??

Any suggestions would be very welcome. I've never hosted someone here before and I'm quite nervous! Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Kinsale is only around half an hour away.

Evening go for a meal or to see a play at the Opera House or Everyman.

The Lough, Fitzgeralds Park, Shaky bridge, the Glucksman museum at UCC maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Even if she doesn't drink nothing says Ireland like Trad music - try the Sin E, The Spailpin Fanach or The Bodhran. I'm sure there will be music in Kinsale as well. Shandon Steeple for a view I imagine. Could do the Butter Museum up there too. I'd skip Cobh and Fota. A wildlife park could be anywhere and the way things are going it will be raining. I like Blarney Castle but you need good weather too. You have to bring her to the English Market!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Kazbah wrote: »
    . You have to bring her to the English Market!

Definitely, why didn't I thnk of that, bring her to the Farmgate upstairs for coffee or lunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

You could take her to a Cork City match at Turners Cross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Maybe ya could check out Fota wildlife park on the way back from cobh.

C'mere how does one get a Russian girl for 36 hours?
    Can you send one my way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I'd do Fota, Blarney and Kinsale - all easily within an hour of the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I brought a friend to English market and Farmgate for coffee, showing off - sites of the city - when she sat down and said I can't eat here, I'm a vegetarian and my view is dead meat hanging up - I never really thought about that before, but so true.

I would go straight to Cobh for wander, (Skip the Heritage Centre if you don't want to view history of immigration/Titanic) lots of lovely places to eat there now. And Fota isn't like a wildlife park "anywhere" I bring my friends from all over the world there and they are enthralled that is so close to the city and the animals are in such a lovely free environment. You don't get that everywhere else.

There's Fitzgerald's Park in the City with Cork museum. The Crawford Gallery is a lovely place to wander and you could have lunch there too.

The Imperial for coffee, as it's such a quaint old place with those lovely ceilings - infact, more like a Russian Tea Room.

Shandon and the Butter Exchange - OK skip the Cork Gaol.

But you don't have to go far these days to see a lot - infact the Road to Cobh just past Fota - castle ruin, old round tower - so you'll see a "bit of Ireland" everywhere you go.

And the pubs playing Irish Music - you have to show a bit of trad to the visitors.

Have fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I would take them to the bus station and buy them a ticket to Kilkenny :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!!
    See, I have another restraint in that she's pregnant. So, althought I would love to bring her to a pub for some ceol, chances are she'll be worried of someone drunking jigging into her bump!

I'll have to try out Kinsale so. Too many people suggested it to ignore it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Go to the Butter Museum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Am I the only one then that thinks Cobh is a kip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

No you're not the only one. I wasn't impressed with it the first time I visited there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Gunth

It is a kip. QED.

Kazbah - I live in Cobh and I love it!

My friends from all over the world stay with me in Cobh and love the place. Every time a cruise ship comes into the harbour, there is an incredible buzz - and we have had several festivals this summer, market stalls etc.

Cobh is a heritage town, it is near Fota, the beaches of East Cork, there are golf courses nearby, rugby, football, GAA - a new community centre. The Haulbowline Theatre Group perform every few months. The Sirius Arts Centre holds regular exhibitions and Gigs. There is a new Art Gallery in Cobh, several harbour-side restaurants/bars. And a third supermarket will be opening shortly. Oh and another new restaurant opened last week.

So I for one would disagree with your comments on Cobh -every day I get home from work, I look at the view from my window and feel happy. I can stroll down the road sit in a harbour-side restaurant and enjoy my dinner whilst watching the ships sail by and totally chill. There are very few suburban areas in Cork where I would feel that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Maybe it is, I really don't know.

...but on a 'kip scale' that covers the city and surrounding towns it probably ranks somewhere in the nicer half. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

going to a pub whilst being pregnant isn't as fraught with danger as you make it out to be! It's not as if all of us Irish punters in pubs are bouncing around like Michael Flatley jigging baboons.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

going to a pub whilst being pregnant isn't as fraught with danger as you make it out to be! It's not as if all of us Irish punters in pubs are bouncing around like Michael Flatley jigging baboons.

Ah I know. Just paranoid I guess. This is no time to be getting on the wrong side of Russia.
    And I know Cobh well, I also do not think it is a kip. So I might as well pop along there for some coffee seeing as I'll be in Fota.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

The only thing wrong with Cobh is the amount of scobies and teenage mothers. (Only kidding - kndof) When ever I meet a girl from Cobh I often joke about and say "Where's the pram?" However, I was caught out the last day when 2 of the 4 Cobh girls I had been introduced to, actually had unplanned pregnancies :o whhoooopsie
    Oh and the sheer amount of ginger people... what's that all about?

After your wander around Fota head to The Watersedge Hotel, the bar food is lovely - or you can just go in for coffee/cake - and sit at the waterside out on the balcony. It's gorgeous there, when the sun shines. Also "The Quays" has a waterside beer garden to sit in - and if it rains, part of it is sheltered.

Also, if you're heading east this weekend - there's a Food Festival in Midleton, so should be a lovely carnival atmosphere there.

Enjoy your weekend when the sun shines, Cork can feel continental! J

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Judes wrote: »
    After your wander around Fota head to The Watersedge Hotel, the bar food is lovely - or you can just go in for coffee/cake - and sit at the waterside out on the balcony. It's gorgeous there, when the sun shines. Also "The Quays" has a waterside beer garden to sit in - and if it rains, part of it is sheltered.

Also, if you're heading east this weekend - there's a Food Festival in Midleton, so should be a lovely carnival atmosphere there.

Enjoy your weekend when the sun shines, Cork can feel continental! J

I prefer the Quays. The Waterside seems to be picky about using its outdoor space - "ooh you can't go out there, opening the door will cause a draught..."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭GwayGal

I would take them to the bus station and buy them a ticket to Kilkenny :D
    So would I, lol:D

Advertisement