Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise on heating/electricity bill

• 07-09-2009 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi all,

Myself and a friend are just after moving out for the first time to live closer to college, we're starting to rent a reasonable size, modern 2 bed apartment with storage heaters in the living space and hall (electric heaters in the bedrooms) half way through the month.

We'll be living in the apartment mainly in evenings and nights as during the day we'll be either studying or working.

Can anyone give us an idea what the ESB bill would cost a month on a place like this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Esb have a appliance calculator that could help you work it out.

https://www.esb.ie/esbcustomersupply/residential/energy_efficiency/appliance_calculator.jsp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Myself and a friend are just after moving out for the first time to live closer to college, we're starting to rent a reasonable size, modern 2 bed apartment with storage heaters in the living space and hall
    Shouldn't be that much.
    (electric heaters in the bedrooms)
    Ah. The things you plug into the wall? You know those things eat your money, yes? You put those things on, and watch as all your hard earned cash turns into, well, debt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I doubt the electric heaters mentioned are plug in affairs - many apartments have a standard set up of storage in the hall and electric (i.e. you have full control over them and can just whack them on at any time) in the bedroom. OP I'd be surprised if your living room heater isn't a cross between storage and electric, you should be able to switch this on directly.

As it happens I have an ESB bill from my old 2 bed apartment with this exact set up, it was €188 for late Sept to late Oct. Bear in mind this also heated the water for showers every morning, which as a student you probably won't need (ZING). It also included all other applicances and lighting of course.

The other wildcard to factor in is that some places seem to leak heat, whereas some retain it. It is hard to gauge how well an apartment is insulated (my place was cold). Some people also suffer mysteriously high ESB bills, the reasons for which are hard to gauge. But I think you can expect your bill for 2 months to be in the €140-€200 range for the winter months if you're not shy about using the heating. If you want to skimp and stick on an extra jumper I'm sure you can cut it quite a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

bugler wrote: »

It is hard to gauge how well an apartment is insulated (my place was cold).

how so ? Its a legal requirment to have a BER rating for all rentals these days.

Advertisement