If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips 7404 and 8404 updates

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭phili_g

Hi Ash,

When are you expecting delivery of the 7404s?

Cheers
    Philip

• Registered Users Posts: 14 smohapatra

Hi Ash..

Thanks for the update..
    I will be visiting your shop tomorrow to finalize the deal and hope fully collect it.
    Do you know where we can park the car to collect the TV..you are located right in the heart of dame street..

Cheers,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Phili_g

These I'm expecting the 42PFL7404H in this week - I'd say they'll be in with us Thurs/Friday.

Would you like to be added to the reserve list???

Cheers
    Ash

AshMiller wrote: »
    Hi Phili_g

These I'm expecting the 42PFL7404H in this week - I'd say they'll be in with us Thurs/Friday.

Would you like to be added to the reserve list???

Cheers
    Ash

Hi Ash,

I placed an order for one of these last week so was hoping I'd already be on the list?!

Philip

:oHi Philip

You are right - you have one on order!
    Sorry my mind has gone into Boardie melt down!

I see you on my list!!!

Sorry about that
    Actually I've been chasing a few Boardies with the 42PFL7404 on order and none have come back to me so I'll release one of those to you - I'll mark it up now and you can collected when ever it suits you.

Cheers
    Ash

• Advertisement

Hi Smohapatra

I take it your going for the 42PFL8404??

If you call between 10 and 12:30 you can park right in front of the shop.

Cheers
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 33 RGMR2

Dear Ash & John,

The 42PFL8404 landed yesterday and is now sitting in it's place. This is some piece of kit. Beautiful picture from the Blu-Ray. Not at all bad off the SD Sky box either:) The ambilight is fantastic. Just adds so much to the whole experience. Just switch it off (only for a minute) to see how great the effect is.

Spent way too long messing with all sorts of setups. Probably explains the bleary eyes this morning.

I've used the setup Ash posted for the football tonight so I can't wait to have a look.

Thanks for the great service and value. I've Dealt with the Philips shop and Richersounds now and I can't come up with a single complaint. I will definitely be back.

Cheers:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Scrum001

Hi Folks,

Another very satisfied buyer of the 42pfl8404h here, and thanks to Ash and John for a great service. Hoping to pick some brains here. My router is not close to my tv or phone point. Has anyone any gadgets for overcoming this? I have a spare router and was wondering can I connect the ethernet cable to the spare router and configure the routers to connect wirelessly? Hope this make sense:confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

Posting the model number of the spare router will help to determine if it can behave as a bridge. This forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=86 can help you setup a wireless ethernet bridge. Otherwise you could get this https://www.expansys.ie/d.aspx?i=156998 it can take its power from the USB port on the side of the TV.

LK. (Recent 37PFL8404 purchaser)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Scrum001

Thanks for the reply.The spare router is a Netopia 2247 NWG. There seems to be a setting under the LAN connection on the router homepage to enable bridging? Will this work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

Scrum001 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.The spare router is a Netopia 2247 NWG. There seems to be a setting under the LAN connection on the router homepage to enable bridging? Will this work?

Looking at the following thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=86 I don't think you can. If you have futher questions I'd suggest you use the wireless forum instead.

LK

Hi Ash,

Picked up my 42PFL7404 on Tuesday and after 2 nights of champions league football with it I have to say I'm very happy, picture is excellent on Sky although I haven't had a chance to tinker with the settings much.

To think that this time last week I was watching RTE from an aerial hanging from my curtain rail on a 15" LG!!!

Thanks also to Ian for helping me carry it half way up dame street

Cheers
    Philip

Nicola on behalf of Ash

Hey Phili g,

Great to hear! Glad your a happy camper. It is a brilliant TV but so glad you're happy with it.

Will pass on to Ash and say thanks to Ian for you.

Thanks again, Nicola.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 lambenate

RGMR2 wrote: »
    Dear Ash & John,

The 42PFL8404 landed yesterday and is now sitting in it's place. This is some piece of kit. Beautiful picture from the Blu-Ray. Not at all bad off the SD Sky box either:) The ambilight is fantastic. Just adds so much to the whole experience. Just switch it off (only for a minute) to see how great the effect is.

Spent way too long messing with all sorts of setups. Probably explains the bleary eyes this morning.

I've used the setup Ash posted for the football tonight so I can't wait to have a look.

Thanks for the great service and value. I've Dealt with the Philips shop and Richersounds now and I can't come up with a single complaint. I will definitely be back.

Cheers:D

Hi RGMR2/ASh

can you post the setup for the footie on an 8404 please

regards
    L

Hi Lambenate,

Below is listed the setting that Ash posted a few weeks ago. Found them to be pretty good. Must have messed up with the timing yesterday because a match seemed to last 97 minutes;). Sorry the lot below isn't in the quotations thing. Must learn how to do that but at the moment, work must intrude. Hope it works well for you.

42PFL7404H settings - try these as a starting point
    Hi Folks

Had a little play about with our shop demo 42PFL7404H and have made note of the setting. As the 42PFL8404 is the same TV these will apply for it as well.

Now keep in mind our showroom is a little brighter than the average living room, so the Brightness, contrast and colour settings will need adjusting to suit your viewing room....

so here we go

Go into SETUP on the TV

Select INSTALLATION ->PREFERENCES -> LOCATION and select HOME

Now go into -
    SMART SETTINGS selesct PERSONAL (VERY important - change away from Vivid or any other preset mode - PERSONAL will let you set up each input optimally for each source - your settings for DVD will differ from the ones to get the best from Blu-Ray or NTL etc)

Now go to
    PICTURE settings (this is where all the fun is to be had)
    Contrast = 77
    Brightness = 60
    Colour = 47
    Sharpness = 1 (very high out of the box, around 6 - makes things look a little "peaky" turn it down)
    Noise Reduction = OFF (try ON for NTL etc)
    Tint = Normal

PIXEL PRECISE HD settings
    HD Natural Motion = Minimum
    100Hz Clear LCD = ON
    Advanced Sharpness = OFF
    Dynamic Contrast = Minimum
    Dynamic Backlight = Best Picture
    MPEG Artefact Reduction = OFF (on for older DVD's or NTL/Sky boxes)
    Colour Enhancement = Minimum

So there you go, simple!!

Try these as a starting point and fine tune from there. Keep in mind that the various settings used for your BR Player will differ from those needed to get the best out of a DVD player or your Sky/NTL did boxes...Dont even think about plugging a VHS machine into these - they looked rubbish on a 21" TV and you should be embarrased to be using VHS in 2009 (retro is Cool with LPs NOT VHS...)

Please feel free to post up setting that you find work for you so other Boradies can fine tune their TVs

FINAL WORD

Please DONT rely on the FACTORY SETTINGS - the TV is capable of SO much more. Spend time twesking and it will reward you for years to come.

atb
    Ash

Hi Ash,

Just wondering when I should expect the warranty documents for the 42PFL8404? Love this telly.:D

Cheers,

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

RGMR2 wrote: »
    Hi Ash,

Just wondering when I should expect the warranty documents for the 42PFL8404? Love this telly.:D

Cheers,

RGMR2,

Thanks for the post and I'm glad you love the 8404 - isn't it a beauty.

We have sent the warranty application off on your behalf already and I would expect that it will take about 3-4 weeks before you get the warranty docs as I understand that Philips towers are snowed under (the 74/84/96 success has caught us all by surprise :eek:)

Keep me posted if you don't have them in the next couple of weeks and we will get Ash to put his horns on and start making a menace of himself!

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 20 lambenate

Hi RGMR2/ASH

thanks again for posting the setting and they have made a big improvement but i'm still getting this type of "halo" effect on the players when the camera is showing a distance shot of the game.. clarity is perfect when you get a close up when say players are making takles.

tried tweeking "HD natural motion" as recommended by a previous poster but still facing same issue

any ideas please?

regards
    L

PS.. supply is standard ntl digital

Thanks John.

Hi Lambenate,

I haven't exactly noticed that watching football but I have while watching SD DVD. I need to sit down for an evening and see if I can get any improvements. I'd be interested as to how you get on.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Ozzie

Hi Ash and co...

Whats the bottom line price atm for the 42" 7404 for a boardie...

Thanks,

Ozzie

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Ozzie wrote: »
    Hi Ash and co...

Whats the bottom line price atm for the 42" 7404 for a boardie...

Thanks,

Ozzie

Would also be interested in bottom line price for the 32" 8404.

Thanks,

cgc5483

Hi Guys

cgc5483 We sell this TV in store for €799.99. You can take the Boardies 10% discount of this, reducing the 32PFL8404 to €719.99 with 4 year warranty - very nice TV tht is as well

Ozzie, The Boardies price on the 42PFL7404 is €809.99 after the 10% Boardies discount has been deducted (Its €899.99 in store) with a 3 year warranty. This has been a popular choice with Boardies

Lambenate, Have you tried with the HD Natural Motion switch off, some folks seem to prefere sport with this disables (others like it on - personal choice I guess!)

Hope the this works

Ash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

a

Hi Tomcollins97

answered your question in your other post.
    Ash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 james00x

Hi Richer Sounds guys?

Would you please quote me a good price for a 47PFL9664? I am also looking at a Blueray player - a bundled option would be fantastic!

Looking forward...
    Cheers

James

Hi James00x

I think I've answered this earlier today elsewhere but I can't seem to find my answer to you???
    You asked after a 47PFL7404 and 47PFL9664? - or am I going mad..........

anyway...

The 47PFL9664H is in our SALE at €1799.99 with 5 year warranty (the warranty offer ends 31st Jan) Down from €1999.99

An ideal Blu-Ray player to match the TV's quality would be the BDP7500
    see spec..
    http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/b/bdp7500sl_05/bdp7500sl_05_pss_eng.pdf

This is a very slick BR player and is priced at €224.99 in our SALE - thats down from €249.99.

Together these will make an excellent package thats sure to keep you grinning with pleasure!

How does that sound?
    We have these both on display in store and i'd be happy to run you through them both.

Cheers
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

New Firmware updates available on philips.ie for 7404 tvs and more. Up since 19/01/2010

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.