Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this rifle a restricted firearm???

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

So if I had the rifle and I hacksawed off the stock, I'd be go from restricted to unrestricted;) (Yes, I know, I'd be changing a rifle into a pistol with all of the ensuing licensing issues, I'm just trying to highlight the illogicality of the whole thing)
    You'd also have to shorten the barrel to less than 30cm and make sure the thing overall wasn't more than 60cm, then it'd be OK. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

rrpc wrote: »
    You'd also have to shorten the barrel to less than 30cm and make sure the thing overall wasn't more than 60cm, then it'd be OK. ;)

Right, so it is easier to license an evil pistol that the Minister blames for the rising gun culture in Ireland than it is to license a rifle in the same calibre:confused:

Right, so it is easier to license an evil pistol that the Minister blames for the rising gun culture in Ireland than it is to license a rifle in the same calibre:confused:
    I wouldn't use the word 'easier'. There's nothing 'easy' about licensing here. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

What we are seeing here is the inevitable consequence of people with little or no knowledge (and a similar amount of interest) of the subject of shooting and firearms, attempting to formulate the prejudices, ignorances, irrational fears, and PR requirements of their masters into law, and then trying to micromanage that law down to the finest detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Rovi wrote: »
    What we are seeing here is the inevitable consequence of people with little or no knowledge (and a similar amount of interest) of the subject of shooting and firearms, attempting to formulate the prejudices, ignorances, irrational fears, and PR requirements of their masters into law, and then trying to micromanage that law down to the finest detail.

I reckon what you are seeing is, in fact, a concession on the Browning Buckmark pistol. I don't think it was originally on the non-restricted list posted here a few weeks ago but it is on the list in the guidelines. So someone gave way and made a concession and they get thanked by being labelled ignorant and disinterested. :confused:

Though there are clear illogicalities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

BornToKill wrote: »
    I reckon what you are seeing is, in fact, a concession on the Browning Buckmark pistol. I don't think it was originally on the non-restricted list posted here a few weeks ago but it is on the list in the guidelines. So someone gave way and made a concession and they get thanked by being labelled ignorant and disinterested. :confused:

Though there are clear illogicalities.
    My apologies if my post appeared to be a slight on the person or persons who managed to get a bit of common sense injected into the list of acceptable/non-dangerous/less-evil pistols; that was absolutely not my intention.

For the record, whoever you are, I doff my hat to you and say: "Well done."

The bit about "prejudices, ignorances, irrational fears, and PR requirements" was aimed at the minister and sundry others in positions of 'Authoritah' who saw an opportunity to write into law their own personal belief that 'guns = bad, m'kay?' or that they are the only ones 'professional enough', and who saw Irish gun owners as a convenient vehicle with which to promote themselves as 'doing something' and 'getting tough on crime'.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,358 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You see, I don't think that would fall into the general purpose of a bullpup which is to shorten the rifle without over shortening the barrel. Having the action just behind the trigger is only going to shorten the system by a few centimetres whereas putting it all in the stock can reduce overall length by up to 20 or 30cm.

If you're going to add a telescopic stock, then you'll have to sacrifice most of the length savings that the bullpup design gives you.
    Sorry, I wasn't clear on the sniper bit. I wasn't talking about adding a tele-scopic sight. I should of used a better word that telescopic style (I never meant it was telescoping, but rather that minimal metal style). I'm refering to guns that don't really have a full stock, and are true bull pup. Is there a way to word it that covers them?

found a pic
    Falcon_den.jpg

Obviously, its restricted for a number of reasons (caliber to say the least). But its just an example, of a bullpup, that has an unclear stock.
    If we're agreed that the Buckmarrk rifle is not a bullpup design, then stating that it's the action and mag behind the trigger still keeps it in the bullpup box because the action is behind the trigger even if only just behind it.
    Completely agree, I've never said it was other than for the purpose of the SI def.
    Thinking about this more, I think your def is near perfect. And gun that slips under is likely to be restricted by other means. So unless manufacturers start making bullpups that by pass the restricted list :D its never going to be an issue.
    +1 signature to have it amended :D
    Been a few,and are mostly crud.Due to the problem of trigger linkage,one of it's design faults..Not to big a problem on an assult rifle or somthing of that nature,but orrible on a sniper rifle.It would be a pointless exercise to put a telescoping stock on a bull pup rifle as the whole concept is a short action enclosed in a stock,without doing away with barrel length..Maybe you saw spacers on the stock to increase the pull length for the user???
    Not spacers, just me being unclear and poor choice of words.
    As above, not telescopic, but that minimal framed style. I'm sure there is a better word that I can't think of. Surely somebody here knows the correct phrase.

Not knowing a whole alot about the mechanics behind the trigger. I'm a bit lost by "flaw" behind linkage in snipers. Care to explain for me? I've a curious nature with all that stuff, the more the better. Via pm or here is fine. thanks

Bananaman wrote: »
    They are NOT a bullpup (shorter overall length as the action is so far back) so they are not restricted.
    read the posts above yours, we all agree its not a bullpup.
    But it is legally defined as one, just like a crossbow isn't a firearm, but legally defined as one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

With regard to the problems in a bullpup trigger design, it's because to reach the action, there's a long trigger linkage to connect the lever unit at the grip, to the mechanism behind the chamber. This has a large tolerance, and leads to a heavy trigger, often with a lot of creep and relatively inconsistent pull weight, due to the broad tolerances. This is a problem in precision shooting where crisp triggers with consistent pull weights are essential, hence why a bullpup trigger linkage in a sniper rifle would be somewhat disastrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I'm a bit surprised noone's ever tried using an electronic trigger to get round that trigger problem...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I belive it has been tried Sparks,just that electronics at the moment are too delicate to be "GI Joe issue" in a rifle.Not to mind not very EMP proof either,or "field fixable":)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

EMP proof? I was more thinking of a bunny-whacker or a gallery rifle type of thing, not a service rifle :D

Sparks wrote: »
    EMP proof? I was more thinking of a bunny-whacker or a gallery rifle type of thing, not a service rifle :D
    Realistically, the design is more suited to a service rifle than a bunny basher or gallery rifle. That's where it came from after all.

Plus the fact that gun design normally starts off in the military and then finds its way to the civilian market.
    I'd say its possible to do it DIY Sparks :D

I dunno Mellor, I hesitate before going near any project that involves electronics and firearms. Being shot in the face (by an exploding transistor) once is enough :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Realistically, the design is more suited to a service rifle than a bunny basher or gallery rifle. That's where it came from after all.

Aye, and with an electronic trigger, the horde will be coming over the dunes, and you'll go for your trusty service rifle, swing it up, flick the switch to rock and roll, and go to unleash the fury, only to hear some pompous recorded Austrian voice near your ear informing you of your "low battery".

Kind of been done ,bar the electronic ignition[?]with caseless ammo in the HK G11.A design years ahead if it's time.
    Now,do we hang around long enough to wait for the ALIEN m4A1 pulse rifle with grenade launcher???
    Or the Terminators phase pulsed plasma rifle in the 40watt range???
    ..:D:D:D:D:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Kind of been done ,bar the electronic ignition[?]with caseless ammo in the HK G11.A design years ahead if it's time.
    Now,do we hang around long enough to wait for the ALIEN m4A1 pulse rifle with grenade launcher???
    Or the Terminators phase pulsed plasma rifle in the 40watt range???
    ..:D:D:D:D:D

I'm sure the 40watt range has been banned you can only get energy savers now.:D:D:D:D

Those effin Greens get in everywhere!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Those effin Greens get in everywhere!:D

Green light for city cycle path, 10 million:D

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090909/tuk-green-light-for-city-cycle-path-e1cd776.html

John%20Gormley%2013.jpg

• Advertisement

COW eh??Could also mean Complete Overt Waste.:rolleyes:

PJ Hunter wrote: »
    Green light for city cycle path, 10 million:D
    Well, in fairness, I know a few lads who cycle that route right now with the traffic, and they think it's exceptionally dangerous at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

Well, in fairness, I know a few lads who cycle that route right now with the traffic, and they think it's exceptionally dangerous at the moment.

first things first. dangerous, teenage girls not getting the anti cervical cancer vaccination, costs 10 million:mad:

And ye think there's not enough money wasted out there to cover that? Hell, the news today is talking about €600,000 that FAS spent for which noone can remember what they got for it; There's €270,000 missing in the Oireacthas budget because of an addition error; Our ex-Minister for Sport has expenses that'd make you cry (almost €500 for a limo from Terminal 1 to Terminal 3 - which is a free three-minute bus ride; €120 for a hat for his wife; five-figure sums to a car hire crowd called "Cartel"...); I mean, if you want €10 million in our country, you don't need to go after projects that serve some good...

Is it just me ...Or should we replace a few national emblems?Like the Shamrock with a bunch of Banannas or the Harp with a Fiddle??:(
    Wasnt that 600k for an advert that was never aired on TV??FFS!!There have been Oscar award winning films made for less than that in the last ten years...:mad:

No the advert was a seperate €600k.
    I mean, I could understand the advert - maybe after it was produced, the budget for advertising was cut and they couldn't then buy the air time. But actually losing €600k? Feck's sake...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

And ye think there's not enough money wasted out there to cover that? Hell, the news today is talking about €600,000 that FAS spent for which noone can remember what they got for it; There's €270,000 missing in the Oireacthas budget because of an addition error; Our ex-Minister for Sport has expenses that'd make you cry (almost €500 for a limo from Terminal 1 to Terminal 3 - which is a free three-minute bus ride; €120 for a hat for his wife; five-figure sums to a car hire crowd called "Cartel"...); I mean, if you want €10 million in our country, you don't need to go after projects that serve some good...

Any other country in the world and these idiots would be chased out by an exceptionally angry mob of people , instead here we get " but he's our corrupt t.d. from our town and he's a great fella " and the sick thing is even after all of the revelations some of these jokers will be re-elected :mad:

I thought it ironic that Mary Coughlan said she'd accept their resignations if they offered them :D

An Irish TD,minister or CEO of a semi state resigning???Novel and quaint idea!!!:rolleyes:
    An ad for that price...Must have hired in Stephen Spielberg to consult on it...Usually you buy airtime first,and fit the ad around it.Bassackwards as usual.

• Advertisement

Well, it's a novel situation Grizzly. It's not just the wasted money we listed above, it's things like never ever controlling their budget, listening to their consultants or... well, you read it. Just don't be drinking coffee when you do or you'll have to clean your screen afterwards. There are tens of millions lost to atrocious management.

Advertisement