Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you have guessed?

• 07-09-2009 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭

Hooring my blog might be another name for the thread! Just thought some of ye might be interested in this. Two photographs taken exactly four years apart. One with a 10D another with a 5D Mark II. No point really I suppose except that if you are not printing your stuff it makes feck all difference how much you pay or how up to date your SLR is. The great equaliser: your computer monitor :D

http://porchfield.com/2009/09/07/deja-5d-mark-ii-gleanleam-part-two/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Thats cool. I much prefer the compostion on the 5d shot. I recently visited the place of my first 'landscape' shot also on the header of my blog, www.rachelfoxphotos.blogspot.com actually twice, once to do my own trash the dress shoot and another to do with a client which is the second shot down in the blog. It does feel great to revisit a location and get something different to what you have done before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

it's funny the way the goalposts move (at the manufacturers whim I might add). When I bought my first DSLR, a 300D, 6 megapixels was enough to print up to A3. Nowadays you need at least 15 :pac:. The sad thing is that we as consumers are constantly falling for it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

it's funny the way the goalposts move (at the manufacturers whim I might add). When I bought my first DSLR, a 300D, 6 megapixels was enough to print up to A3. Nowadays you need at least 15 :pac:. The sad thing is that we as consumers are constantly falling for it :(

Ah I think the 'my camera is bigger than yours' scenario plays a part too.

Would you believe someone actually said that to me once:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

But nobody would buy a 5DmkII just to put pictures on the internet?

I'm sure you all have walls covered in A3 and A2 prints............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

From the blog:
    Now if I didn’t tell you that would you have guessed?
    mmmmm.......probably, as the sky in the top left corner (on the 10D shot) is showing some pixelation or noise of some kind. But you certainly got the most outa that 10D (and not just this shot), fantastic stuff !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Nope. You are wrong entirely. The big difference is that the 5D can remove sea weed in your shots. It is the new must have feature don't ya know.

There now, let's put that one to bed.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

nilhg wrote: »
    On the first point, it seems that many people do and on the second, a few but not enough though, I am selling a steady stream in the local gallery of late which I am printing myself :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

nilhg wrote: »

I know a guy who bought one and just takes photos of his home network in his bedroom...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

how did u get lucky with the boat ? :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

I currently use both a k100d (6mp) and k20d (14.6mp). The k100d will happily produce 18"x12" prints if there's no cropping required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I know a guy who bought one and just takes photos of his home network in his bedroom...

:D
    TJM wrote: »
    I currently use both a k100d (6mp) and k20d (14.6mp). The k100d will happily produce 18"x12" prints if there's no cropping required.

I was curious as to how far you could push a 6mp image.

I recently recovered an old shot for my son and did a poster print for him. It was originally shot with an *ist DL (6mp) with no cropping applied. The poster print I went for was A1 size which I think is about 23" x 33". It was far from perfect but having said that it was darn good. I was very impressed. I remember stcstc saying previously that you don't view at 1:1. You stand back from it, etc... and tbh to the ordinary eye it works just fine. Get up close and you can expose the flaws quite easily. It was however fit for purpose.

I have pushed the 10D to A3+ on a few occasions and it is very acceptable. I find the big advantage of the extra pixels is the ability to do a serious crop if necessary and still have a printable file.

I certainly miss the speed of the smaller files, these 21 Megapixels raws can be cumbersome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

thats an excellent blog!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    I remember stcstc saying previously that you don't view at 1:1. You stand back from it, etc... and tbh to the ordinary eye it works just fine. Get up close and you can expose the flaws quite easily. It was however fit for purpose.

This is very true. The only people who stand too close when viewing a photo print are pixel peeping photographers. :) How much resolution you see is based on how close you are to the image. The human eye has a 60° field of vision. According to the late Bruce Fraser, someone with theoretically perfect vision 20:20:20 (20:20 vision on a 20 year old :))can resolve the following definitions:- 8" away @ 480ppi, 10" away @ 360ppi, 12" away @ 300ppi, 18" away @ 240ppi, 24" away @ 180ppi. The typical viewing distance of an image is usually twice the diagonal. So it's not inconceivable that an image taken with the 10D can be printed to A3 dimensions. The important things are the upsize method and output sharpening.

oshead wrote: »
    This is very true. The only people who stand too close when viewing a photo print are pixel peeping photographers. :)

You took the words out of my mouth :)

Valentia wrote: »
    You took the words out of my mouth :)

Reminds me of that song... Must have been while..... yuck.... :D

Btw Danny. Just curious. What printer you using?

I'm using an Epson 2100. A bit old but I have a stock of ink (Epson) to use before I think of upgrading. I usually print matt. It's grand, well maybe better than grand. I haven't looked at the newer ones in case I'd annoy myself ;-)

It's an excellent printer. Apparently Epson are doing some loyalty program thing for the 3800. I was tempted but I don't have so many good images to print. :)

oshead wrote: »
    I was tempted but I don't have so many good images to print. :)
    There's a word but I wont use it! Never read such crap in my life :rolleyes: I can think of a few dozen off the top of my head................

PS. They have just announced the 3880.

• Advertisement

Yeah. I confess to being a bit gullable when it comes to new gear promotions.

They obivously want to get rid of some old stock before the 3880 comes out.

Advertisement