Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ability to have hyperlinks in thread titles?

Options
  • 07-09-2009 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭

No idea if this is feasible or not, but hear me out. :)

In a couple of the forums I mod we have some very long threads. Given the nature of the threads, sometimes things can get a little out of hand leading me or one of my fellow moderators to issue an on - thread warning. Now, in a fast moving thread this can be three pages (using 40 posts per page) back within 24 hours. And as we all know, people have a tendency to simply read the last 40 - 80 posts before posting stuff - often meaning that a warning becomes obsolete.

Now, we have been adjusting thread titles so that they note the post number of a warning. So, in soccer it might be "Liverpool Discussion thread [Please note mod warning post #3658]". The problem is that the more a thread moves on, the more awkward it becomes for someone to find the post number and check the warning before posting. Yes, I know that one can find any post in a thread if they really want to, but as we all are aware - any extra effort is frequently too much effort for our users (and rightly so).

Sooo, if we were able to have a hyperlink to the post in question within the thread title it would mean that someone has one click to make before they post. Seems like it would be a huge help for any lengthy threads that can sometimes get a little heated. I prefer (and I assume every mod is with me on this) to use warnings / infractions / bans as means of last resort. And on thread notes can be effective - but only if they are read before people post.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

How does that work when you click the thread title though? Which part is the link and which part is the link to the title? Or do you mean that the thread title isn't of the thread - but to the post that you have assigned as the dominant post?

Interesting thought making the title a mod-decided post within the thread as opposed to the actual thread though. I don't think it comes as standard on Vbulletin though, unless I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Edit the first post and include the link there?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Ah yeah Gordon, I see why a thread link and individual post hyperlink wouldn't work. So maybe if there was some way of redirecting the thread link so that when you click it it opens the thread on a pre - selected post?

So we have a warning on post 12456 in a 20k post thread, and set the thread link so that when you click to enter it, it automatically opens the thread on 12456, and the user needs to make another click to "last page" or "first unread"?
    Edit the first post and include the link there?

Nah, doesn't work in huge threads because people will always click on either "last page" or "go to first unread" when they enter a thread with thousands of posts.

Could you include a hyperlink in prefixes, such as the ones in this forum? For example, you could include a prefix on the thread in question, but have it as a hyperlink to the post with the most recent warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Or another option (not sure if it's feasible either) is to have a sticky post which always stays at the top of the thread which could be the first post. I think other bulletin board systems have this option but not sure if vbulletin does. But that could be an easier way around it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Gordon wrote: »
    Or another option (not sure if it's feasible either) is to have a sticky post which always stays at the top of the thread which could be the first post. I think other bulletin board systems have this option but not sure if vbulletin does. But that could be an easier way around it.

Yeah, that would work as it would mean that a user is forced to see it no matter how they click into the thread thus making the warning worthwhile.

Here's a thought:

Can admins change the date and time of a post? If they can, couldn't you have a warning in a post, and set the time of that post some time into the future, that way, it'll always appear as the newest post in the thread. If you wanted to update the warning, you only have to edit the post.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement