Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Damien Duff & Kevin Doyle

• 07-09-2009 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭

Given Eduardos recent punishment for diving, does anybody feel that the two diving incidents warrant a two match ban or will they be conveniently ignored?

(p.s i'm not an arsenal supporter)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I presume they will be conveniantly ignored considering the such incidents hadn't much an effect on the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ANTIFA!

Will be ignored.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

The Eduardo thing was a farce imo and this is just an example of how. They made an example out of Eduardo and very very rarely are you going to see anything similar dished out. Already in the few weeks since Eduardos dive you could pick out a number of examples like it im sure where a similar punishment wasnt handed out not just Doyle & Duffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭venividivici

I presume they will be conveniantly ignored considering the such incidents hadn't much an effect on the game.

I don't think we'll be seeing anymore bannings 'til we hear FIFA's final stand on this. It's only a matter of time before it's made clear to referees what the exact procedure is for such incidents. I also don't think that Eduardo will end up serving that ban but we'll see...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Neither did eduardos penalty in the grand scheme of things

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

orourkeda wrote: »
    Neither did eduardos penalty in the grand scheme of things
    How can you say that? It's like saying Team A should be 4-0 up because they missed 4 great chances. Goals change games. Celtic were doing ok up to that point and as Mowbray said if it had been 0-0 at half time things could have been much different.

I very much doubt Celtic would have got a win but that goal ended Celtic's hopes and the game was over then.

I don't remember a dive from Doyle btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I don't think we'll be seeing anymore bannings 'til we hear FIFA's final stand on this. It's only a matter of time before it's made clear to referees what the exact procedure is for such incidents. I also don't think that Eduardo will end up serving that ban but we'll see...

I thought the final word came abotu 3 or 4 years ago when refs were told to book anyone who dives. The regularly wave players away when they dive with no sign of a card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Anyone got videos/gifs of the incidents? Missed them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭venividivici

Stekelly wrote: »
    I thought the final word came abotu 3 or 4 years ago when refs were told to book anyone who dives. The regularly wave players away when they dive with no sign of a card.

All true but after the Eduardo incident they're gonna have to make it crystal clear to everyone what exactly there NEW procedure is. I'm sure next year we'll have an even newer updated version though so totally agree with you..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Dave! wrote: »
    Anyone got videos/gifs of the incidents? Missed them

2njlirr.gif

• Advertisement

^^^ Big difference between that and cheating.

"It happened straight in front of me. There was a very tired footballer there. The referee has to use a bit of a game knowledge. (It was a] very poor decision. The half-way line is not the place to try and simulate a dive and gain an advantage."

The choice:
    1. Run with the ball and attack down the line into the opponents half.
    2. Go down and win a free kick at the half way line.

I think it's safe to say McGeady went down to avoid the challenge otherwise he'd have taken the advantage and ran. Watch McGeady's right foot a few times. That is a leg moving away from a challenge, not trying to make contact.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    ^^^ Big difference between that and cheating.

The ref sent him off for it so at least he obviously considered it cheating.
    Diving is cheating anywhere on the pitch, not just somewhere that you can gain an attacking advantage.

Frisbee wrote: »
    The ref sent him off for it so at least he obviously considered it cheating.
    Diving is cheating anywhere on the pitch, not just somewhere that you can gain an attacking advantage.
    Diving is cheating, yes. But what sense does it make for McGeady to dive in that area of the pitch? Assuming, as you must think, he would have beaten the foul and been free to run down the wing with the ball. Come on, common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

is this going to happen every time someone dives or even looks like they may have dived?

ffs.

seriously.

uefa officially have a lot to answer for; ruining the boards soccer forum.

But what sense does it make for McGeady to dive in that area of the pitch?

Because he knew was about to lose the ball maybe?
    Or that he'd put it too far ahead of himself and he hadn't the legs to catch it?

Frisbee wrote: »
    Because he knew was about to lose the ball maybe?
    Or that he'd put it too far ahead of himself and he hadn't the legs to catch it?
    Then you shouldn't be posting that gif because if you don't know the answer to those questions. He would have been in control of the ball had the challenge not come in. Anyway, it's not important. I'm not bothered about McGeady's ban. Just his reputation. Another Celtic player, Killen, made a blatant dive in that match. A player I couldn't care about his reputation tbh (he'd probably be booed the next time he plays Arsenal for such a petty little incident against Hibs).

Then you shouldn't be posting that gif because if you don't know the answer to those questions.

I posted the gif because Dave! asked if anyone had a video or gif of the incidents because he hadn't seen either of them.

If you're not winding me up you've completely baffled me.

Either you're winding me up or you've completely baffled me.

Maybe there's wires being crossed here?

You said i shouldn't be posting the gif if I cant answer the questions you asked.

The only reason I posted the gif was because Dave! asked me to.

McGeady was never mentioned in this thread before you posted the gif. It's about Duff and Doyle's supposed dives.

• Advertisement

McGeady was never mentioned in this thread before you posted the gif. It's about Duff and Doyle's supposed dives.

Ha, my bad.

Completely misread it even though I've clicked on the title about 8 times now.

Apologies, it's been a long day.

No problem. After all that I can actually remember Doyle's now. Definitely a dive from what I remember and he complained to the ref afterwards. There was contact with Duff I think, or he made contact, but I don't remember there being any contact with Doyle.

remember, remember, remember...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Duffs always been pretty good at Diving, Hunt less so. he just looks comical when he goes flying.

Advertisement