Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

U.D.R. Training ?

• 07-09-2009 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

I realise the old U.D.R. has merged with the R.I.R. and the part-time element has been disbanded , I'm just curious to know what sort of training did the UDR undertake during the 'troubles' , did they train on anti-tank weapons , NBC suits for example , or did they just train in security work . In otherwords were they trained in the same way as the rest of the British Army ?
    BTW no hidden agenda here - just curious :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭pmg58

I realise its not completely reliable, but the wikipedia page is fairly informative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭troubleshooter

delancey42 wrote: »
    I realise the old U.D.R. has merged with the R.I.R. and the part-time element has been disbanded , I'm just curious to know what sort of training did the UDR undertake during the 'troubles' , did they train on anti-tank weapons , NBC suits for example , or did they just train in security work . In otherwords were they trained in the same way as the rest of the British Army ?
    BTW no hidden agenda here - just curious :)

They under went standard TA infantry training, which included NBC training,then further training to suit their home security role. One battalion also did an oveseas tour on one occasion. Many NCOs were full timers.

They had access to standard infantry weapons, inc the Carl Gustev and had access to Lynx choppers and rigid raiders for patrolling carlingford lough.

The RIR has a TA battalion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 mrangryishere

they used the SLR and sterling and 80's in later years,few stens knockin around too,bit of an odd lot as regards weapons-someone once told me that they had walthers as side arms,dunno how true that is? dunno bout NBC but ive seen pics of em in s10's prob for gas baton rounds during public order. anyone work with them during op banner?

Advertisement