Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charging a new phone... '8 to 10 hours' ?

Options
  • 07-09-2009 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

I was given this advice when I bought my new phone from O2 - To let it discharge completely and then charge it for 8-10 hours the first time. I've also had that advice from Vodafone.

I can't see with modern batteries how this makes any difference, as they don't have a charge memory. But, more importantly, when the phone is finished charging after 2 hours it stops sending any more charge to the battery. Leaving it connected for 6 more hours won't make any difference.

Does the '8-10 hours' advice hold any validity?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

You are correct tony. Newer phones stop charging when the battery is full and this usually only takes a couple of hours, anything more than this will actually affect the batterys ability to hold a proper charge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

tonyj wrote: »
    I was given this advice when I bought my new phone from O2 - To let it discharge completely and then charge it for 8-10 hours the first time. I've also had that advice from Vodafone.

I can't see with modern batteries how this makes any difference, as they don't have a charge memory. But, more importantly, when the phone is finished charging after 2 hours it stops sending any more charge to the battery. Leaving it connected for 6 more hours won't make any difference.

Does the '8-10 hours' advice hold any validity?

This question comes up quite regularly and is, as you mentioned, due to mobile operators' staff advising customers incorrectly. The best advice is to follow the manufacturer's manual which generally states to charge your new handset for 2-3 hours, or until the handset indicates that the battery is fully charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

They're Ni-Cads living in a LI ion world mannnnnnn!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

...and 8 months on :)

Anyone know if there is an application available that alerts the user when the phone is fully charged..? Normally a low beep is emitted but wouldn't it be handy if the phone could start an alarm tone or something..?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,238 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It usually says it on the phone screen, please unplug to save power, fully charged etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

if a low beep aint enough to draw his attention, a 2sec message on the screen hardly will

:) Yep, we can see it's charged by looking at the screen, or having the phone close-by in an almost silent room so that little beep can be heard :D Would like an option to select a particular tone to play once the charge cycle has finished, once heard I could then get up off my ass and disconnect from the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

CaSCaDe711 wrote: »
    :) Yep, we can see it's charged by looking at the screen, or having the phone close-by in an almost silent room so that little beep can be heard :D Would like an option to select a particular tone to play once the charge cycle has finished, once heard I could then get up off my ass and disconnect from the wall.

Not much consolation but new nokias can tell when its charged, or battery low etc. You type into the phone what you want the phone to say,,, 'Charge me'; 'Unplug me' pr whatever

Davy wrote: »
    Not much consolation but new nokias can tell when its charged, or battery low etc. You type into the phone what you want the phone to say,,, 'Charge me'; 'Unplug me' pr whatever

"Full to the hilt, no more juice, pleeeeeaaaase..!!!" :D Must check my handset (5800XM) for that option. Thanks for the info Davy, might be exactly what's needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

"Full to the hilt, no more juice, pleeeeeaaaase..!!!" :D Must check my handset (5800XM) for that option. Thanks for the info Davy, might be exactly what's needed.

I dont remember seeing the option on a 5800 :(

• Advertisement

Davy wrote: »
    I dont remember seeing the option on a 5800 :(

:( Good thing I have a Plan B: I'll learn how to program in Java, and create an app for the 5800 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

:( Good thing I have a Plan B: I'll learn how to program in Java, and create an app for the 5800 :D

Wonderful please do let me know should you develop such an app,tnx..

Advertisement