Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

removing vista and uploading xp

• 07-09-2009 8:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

Hows things,

I've decided to take vista off my computer as its become stupidly slow and barely has the memory to run it properly anyway.

So, here's the deal, how do I go about doing it?? I've lost the restore disks etc for the computer. Also, is xp available to download or anything anywhere? I think I have it on disk here im my house somewhere but couldnt be bothered looking for it.

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

If you're talking about a consumer-level computer, you're out of luck. XP is no longer available at retail (though you might be lucky and find somewhere that's selling old boxed copies). It's not legitimately available for download either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

really? Dam. Must have a look for that disk then. So how would I go about taking vista off the computer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

you need more then a disk, you also need to buy a €80 licence key, and once you use it, it can only be used on that pc

check out the link in my sig, its what i do on every vista computer i sit at, takes about 20mins and they fly for years afterwards

cheers for that! one question tho... how do I know whats a non microsoft item??

its a setting in autoruns, if you view the full thread, i added that bit today, can't edit post anymore

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

thehamo wrote: »
    really? Dam. Must have a look for that disk then. So how would I go about taking vista off the computer?

To be honest there's not much point removing it before you've got a plan for what to replace it with. If you're replacing it with XP the easiest thing is to just go through the XP installation process and re-format the partition that you currently have Vista on (when you select where to install it you'll see there's already a C: drive - you can delete this partition, then create a new partition for installing XP).

That being said, it's worth spending a bit of time tweaking Vista to see what you can get out of it. When it first launched it was bloody dire, but these days it's possible to turn it into a decent enough environment with a bit of time and effort.

i've followed mukki's directions and it seems to be running a lot smoother and faster thank god. Graphics have taken a bit of a hit but its a comprimise im willing to make!

Cheers for the help!

thehamo wrote: »
    i've followed mukki's directions and it seems to be running a lot smoother and faster thank god. Graphics have taken a bit of a hit but its a comprimise im willing to make!

Cheers for the help!

god?

:p

Advertisement