Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Event Gaming and game voting

Options
  • 07-09-2009 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭

Just putting this out there, not that its happening or anything but as a question.

Would you support event gaming?

Where instead of forking over 60 quid for a 8 or so hour single player game and a multiplayer element

would you instead fork over say 10 quid to take part in a 2 hour one of kind event game.

What I mean is if the development focusing on supporting something that would be too expernsive to run all the time or an ad hoc basis) but instead that it will run for 2-3 hours only.

Say like a FPS with over a 1000 players that runs one big match for 2 hours that you paid for a place for that event at a specific time and not to keep the game as permanent piece of your collection.

Of course certain elements would come available before hand, such as a training element to get a feeling for the map and the weapons etc and of course an extensive hook up element for people to get into squads etc before the match.

Would people take part in such a thing (and it doesnt have to be FPS?) or would they shirk it off as a waste of money.

Like a concert of gaming. You'd try it once at least.

I wouldnt see it as something to replace the current model gods no! But as a compliment.

maybe instead of add on packs the new COD MW2 would have event packs every month or so. Would you pay the 10 euro to go play cod with over a 1000 players on a map designed for those numbers and a gamestyle to suit it (an extended form of domination maybe?) and also get the vote to nominate a gamestyle for the next event (or even a specific battle if its WW2 themed)

Speaking of voting, I see Xbox live's new rating system is in place, would people like to see that taken further? would you pay to play a demo but not only do you play the demo but you vote after you completed it on what you liked and disliked about the game.

Say for example Sega allowed 5 different developers do their own interpetation of how the sonic series should change and this was released as one xbox live (and playstation store) item for 800 points maybe? Which after you played all 5 demos you vote what from each you liked best in different catagories.

I think you would need to charge for it for two reasons (and I know people wouldnt like to pay for a demo)

1. If it was a product that would generate an income then the publisher can give the developers more support in the development financially etc to put forward 5 tight demos (all requiring specific elements, 2 levels 2 bossess and a multiplayer component maybe?)

2. It puts a stronger weight on the vote, sort of like buying a sega citizenship, your vote counts, rather then people trolling the vote because it doesnt cost them anything.

comments?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

ich dont think so

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

The event gaming sounds interesting but I'm not sure it would work. Games that can cater for large groups of people tend to always allow players to play on that scale. Lag is one reason to avoid playing with 999 other people (ah! and your ping would probably be the same :D). Would you pay for a game of "1 vs 100". Many are of the opinion that seems as they have a Live subscription / Gold sub, it should be free. Also, the €60 that people have paid out for CoD4 / Halo 3 has come back to most in spades with the amount of online hours they have pumped into the game.

I think developers are milking downloads and an event could make it even worse. Tiger Woods 10 - you can pay to unlock every item and course in the game. New courses were available as DLC as soon as the game was released! Microsoft charge excessively for themes, pictures, avatar clothing and everything else they can. Developers would find ways of franchising an event scheme and gaining everything they could from it.

On your second point, I would never pay for a demo. If I'm paying 800 points for a demo, I better get it (or a game of equal value) for free if I don't like it.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

10 euro for 2 hours ??...but would we get to test this game beforehand. I'd be bitterly dissapointed to pay and then hate the game

Would you then be charged 10 euro for each event after that in the same game ? ...because obviously after 4-5 such events you have paid the price of a full game.

Then..if this were to be successful...developers would no doubt release a full DISC version to cash in, yet I've just paid a full price worth for 6 events.

I can't see it working tbh.

And as mentioned by sabre...most of the games ive paid for I've got my moneys worth. E.g COD4 - 400+ hours, TF2 300+ hours BF2 - 900+ hours, Mohaa 900+ hours...and thats only a few games for me personally..which totalled maybe 120 euro.

Advertisement