Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closest Surf Spot to Dublin

Options
  • 07-09-2009 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi
    I have surfed at Tramore plenty times but would rather a better spot. I live in Dublin and was wondering which beaches would be quikkest to get to for a day trip?
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

If you put the boot down you can make Sligo in 2 1/2 hours. You'll find much better waves there than in T-Bay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Burgerman55

any updated suggestions on this?
    anything going on around wexford for example??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 donga_perkins

I'd also like to know this...especially for next weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Check out http://magicseaweed.com/ for the surf reports but honestly Sligo is your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Burgerman55

sligo ffs??

closest to dublin? not 'avin it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭conman78

Loads of spots close to Dublin..if there are strong southerly's or onshore easterly's the whole east coast has waves! Use a map be creative and you'll find the sheltered areas. Wexford has quite a few good spots, especially if Tramore is looking like blown out with SW winds...means offshore in Wexico...cant tell you the best spots though I'm afraid but use your map and explore you wont be too disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

sligo ffs??

closest to dublin? not 'avin it

I'd much rather spend 2 1/2 hours going to Sligo or Bundoran than 2 hours going to Tramore. There's probably some small waves closer but the good surf is worth the extra drive.

Although i've only done the day trip once. I generally try and make a weekend out of it.

Why not just find a small lake, bring a few sticks of dynamite and surf the wave of the explosion! I would link the youtube video of this, but in work so Youtube is blocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 gcdwebmaster

Yes Wexford and Waterford have options to surf, within 2hours of Dublin, although I would advocate going to Sligo, Donegal or Clare and spend the extras hour or so getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I am in the same field. I could borrow my housemate's board and wetsuit, but I would not drive with that far from Dublin. And driving to the west coast promises waves almost every time, however I spend at least 5 hours behind the wheel and €50 on diesel. And another few yo-yos on renting the gear. And last time in Inishcrone, there was not gear rental at all :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

NothingMan wrote: »
    Why not just find a small lake, bring a few sticks of dynamite and surf the wave of the explosion! I would link the youtube video of this, but in work so Youtube is blocked.

I just had to look that one up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR_naKxLEPc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 mr board

Take a look at this link. I know the guys in the clip, so I know its real. Mostly taken on white rock beach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm8bv_xKfXs&NR=1

Advertisement