Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rubbish players in great teams.

• 07-09-2009 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭

I was listening to The Guardians podcast last week and they were talking about how sometimes awful players manage forge there way into great teams. The examples they used where David May in the United 99 treble winning team Christian Karembeu in the great French and Madrid squads.

Wondering if anyone else have players to add. My ones are Kleberson in the Brazilian world cup team, Raul Bravo for Madrid and Nelson Vivas for Arsenal- trually terrible!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

David May wasn't a rubbish player by any means, he actually put in some good performances for United, and had one particularly good season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Tyranax

That was lazy from them about David May. Everybody suggest him because of his gurning when we won the Treble, but he always covered well for us.

I'm going to go with Massimo Ambrosini. Surely the most useless player to have won a Champions League with AC Milan. Just ran seemed to run about a bit. Terrible passer. Poor technique. That and he unjustly sent Milan to the final in '05 with his late, late goal. That's a what if to ponder I think, what would have happened if Istanbul had been contested between PSV and Liverpool that year?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭eoin99

Djimi Traore in Liverpool's Champions League winning team of 2005

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

eoin99 wrote: »
    Djimi Traore in Liverpool's Champions League winning team of 2005

The topic is great teams ;)

Harsh topic tbh. While some players will be less talented than others I'm sure they contributed in some ways. For example Kleberson had a good world cup in 2002.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ANTIFA!

Kleberson was good in the world cup was he not?

Hahah Raul Bravo. Real Madrid have had a few who somehow manage to make their team. I mean Bravo must have been alright to come up through the ranks but yeah he was terrible. He went on loan to some English team I remember and he was even more useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭eoin99

Unearthly wrote: »
    The topic is great teams ;)

Harsh topic tbh. While some players will be less talented than others I'm sure they contributed in some ways. For example Kleberson had a good world cup in 2002.

I was going to put in a disclaimer that they may or may not have been a great team:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ANTIFA! wrote: »
    Kleberson was good in the world cup was he not?

Hahah Raul Bravo. Real Madrid have had a few who somehow manage to make their team. I mean Bravo must have been alright to come up through the ranks but yeah he was terrible. He went on loan to some English team I remember and he was even more useless.

he was

first name on the sheet according to Scolari

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

They were. But Traore was rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Two Words - Francis Jeffers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Clarence Seedorf, how that man has won all them CLs with different teams is beyond me.

• Advertisement

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Two Words - Francis Jeffers.

I raise you Dong Fangzhuo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Tyranax

Des wrote: »
    Clarence Seedorf, how that man has won all them CLs with different teams is beyond me.

Whoah now! Let's not say anything that we can't take back later on. I know that Seedorf often looks to be doing nothing, but he's a lovely smooth passer of the ball. Has often come up with the goods when it really mattered too, Bayern away in the CL in '07, the second against United the same year, it was the goal that killed the tie.

I've thought of another one. Stefan Guivarc'h. I know that he played a vital role in the team, holding the ball up and that, but Jesus, he could have had a hatrick in the final, he fluffed great chance after great chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

obvio sarcasm yeah? these sort of things fly over my head :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Karembeu is a good shout, as is Traore. Though I was the president of a cult following of his. Djimini Jillikers.
    Headshot wrote: »

He played in a great team? 1 app? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Come off it, the United reservists are not a "great team"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ANTIFA!

Oh almost forgot, Matt Gregg-Bohemians

Francis Jeffers the worst player so far then :P.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Karembeu is a good shout, as is Traore. Though I was the president of a cult following of his. Djimini Jillikers.

He played in a great team? 1 app? :o

3 appearances in 4 yrs

Dong made his competitive United debut against Chelsea in May 2007 and came on as a substitute in December's 1-1 Champions League with Roma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Eric Djemba-Djemba.

Dong made his competitive United debut against Chelsea in May 2007 and came on as a substitute in December's 1-1 Champions League with Roma
    Minimum of 5 apps :P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

Alan Shearer - always was lucky with his choice of teams!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Guti, gago. Ambrosini. Mikel. Messi :p

Mmcd wrote: »
    Ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

Giles Grimandi - I always thought was useless at arsenal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Can we stick to great teams here folks and the players have to be at least semi-regulars. I'm afraid that means no Liverpool players for the last 20 years:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Rubbish players in great teams, I don't think Fangzhuo or players like that come into account.

More so players who were regulars in the great team, and won plenty of silverware like Traore did despite being complete and utter ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Eric Djemba-Djemba.

lol tbh I don't think we had a great team around the time of Djemba Djemba, there was the likes of Miller,Bellion, Kleberson etc.

We were a great club then though but doesn't suit the OP's post imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Mmcd wrote: »

Speaking of lucky..........

This guy won the Copa Libertadores in 98 in a Palmeiras team which at the time was by far the strongest in S.America

Champions League in 2003 with AC Milan

and the World Cup in 2002 wih Brasil

I give you.................... Roque Junior!

_39389876_roque_get200x245.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

MrStuffins wrote: »

_39389876_roque_get200x245.jpg

Forgot he won the CL, didn't get injured in that final after they'd used the subs and just hobbled around?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

If ANYONE mentions John O'Shea in this thread I will personally have them beheaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Stéphane Guivarc'h, lack of strikers for France in 98, and 2 good seasons meant Stéphane Guivarc'h was the starting forward for the World Cup winners.

Went onto join Newky and then Rangers - but only played about 20 games in 2 years for them.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Speaking of lucky..........

This guy won the Copa Libertadores in 98 in a Palmeiras team which at the time was by far the strongest in S.America

and the World Cup in 2002 wih Brasil

I give you.................... Roque Junior!

[IMG]http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39389000/jpg/_39389876_roque_get200x245.jpg[/I MG][/img]

He's definitely in. Let's try get a full team going. I think bravo, Roque Junior, Ambrosini and karembeu are in so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Nelson Rivas for Inter. Still baffled he lasted until the end of the transfer window to finally being shipped out.

Ambrosini is there exactly for the reason mentioned. He ran and ran and ran which pirlo and seedorf cant do hence why he is in the team.

Trippie wrote: »
    Nelson Rivas for Inter. Still baffled he lasted until the end of the transfer window to finally being shipped out.

Ambrosini is there exactly for the reason mentioned. He ran and ran and ran which pirlo and seedorf cant do hence why he is in the team.

Don't know if the inter team is good enough despite their titles but Rivas is shocking.

Surely there was enough running in Gatusso!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭daniel91

Eric Djemba Djemba- Man Utd.
    David Bellion- Man Utd.
    Nunez-Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Victor Valdes - Barcelona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Eric Djemba-Djemba.

damn right

how he got into that burnley team ill never know

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Sylvain Wiltord - Arsenal
    Oleguer, Gabri - Barcelona

dfx- wrote: »
    Love This Guy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

apparently that goal won loads of trophies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

Don't know. Wiltord has quite a few goals to his name. He wasn't that bad.

Very harsh tbh. I thiught he did quite well. Plus he was responsible for that goal at Old Trafford in 2002 :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Shaneomac

Jordi Cryuff. Every team he was ever in he was the preverbial passenger

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

John O Shea

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

ANTIFA! wrote: »
    Oh almost forgot, Matt Gregg-Bohemians
    He was the keeper right? Wasn't that bad was he?

CHD wrote: »
    John O Shea

Get the machete Bobalicious

CHD wrote: »
    John O Shea

:)

nice try

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Victor Valdes - Barcelona

he's won the zamora twice in the past few years, very underrated keeper. very good shot stopper and fast off his line. just a bit suspect in the air.

was offered a new deal in the summer too btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Wiltord rubbish, you guys are insane :eek:

going to go with sander westerweld, liverpool won five trophies in 2001 despite the fact he was in goal, he was total rubbish in the fa cup final only for sami hyypia to save his ass on about 10 occasions

• Advertisement
Advertisement