Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rubbish players in great teams.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Tom10 wrote: »
    Giles Grimandi - I always thought was useless at arsenal

He was the John O'Shea of his day, the kind of utility player every team needs, good in a fair few positions, but great in none.

I think Grimandi is a bad call tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Dida for Milan and Brazil.

How a keeper that bad managed to be first choice for Milan and Brazil for so long I'll never know.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    he was total rubbish in the fa cup final only for sami hyypia to save his ass on about 10 occasions

Is that the match where Hyppia played as a second 'keeper? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Possibly The Worst Footballer In The World Never Mind Rubbish Players In Great Teams..

bi_francis_jeffers.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Jerzy Dudek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Des wrote: »
    Is that the match where Hyppia played as a second 'keeper? :pac:

henchoz did a good impression of a goalie that day alrite, hyypia though was immense that afternoon clearing off the line on four occasions

Headshot wrote: »
    Jerzy Dudek

dudek was far better keeper than westerweld

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

What's peoples views on Pascal Cygan? He actually played a surprising amount for the unbeatables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Dirk Kuyt!!!

I know he isn't on a great team (don't think l'pool won a cup since he joined but may be wrong) but he has a good work rate but no skill whatsoever!!! He only scores the scrappy goals... the tap ins, the ones from 2 yards, the fumbles, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Dirk Kuyt!!!

I know he isn't on a great team (don't think l'pool won a cup since he joined but may be wrong) but he has a good work rate but no skill whatsoever!!! He only scores the scrappy goals... the tap ins, the ones from 2 yards, the fumbles, etc.

run for the hills jack ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Sorry if I offend anyone by that remark
    Dirk Kuyt!!!

I know he isn't on a great team (don't think l'pool won a cup since he joined, they went close but great teams gotta win the cups/leagues) but he has a good work rate but no skill whatsoever!!! He only scores the scrappy goals... the tap ins, the ones from 2 yards, the fumbles, etc.
    but imo he is a very poor player technically!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Barthez.He was ok for a while but developed into a huge liability.

Does Taibi count?Played very little but so terrible he deserves to be mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

This will turn to a "rubbish man utd vs rubbish liverpool players" thread eventually.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

DoireNod wrote: »
    Don't know. Wiltord has quite a few goals to his name. He wasn't that bad.

In an unbeatable team with (if I remember correctly), Henry, Pires-Ljungberg, Bergkamp, Vieira, Kanu you'd imagine he would score a few though. Even Lauren scored..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Are you sure he was part of the starting XI Invincible side?

• Advertisement

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Dirk Kuyt!!!

no skill whatsoever, you obviously missed his chest down for torres goal like last week at bolton ;)

only from last year, certainly all are not tap ins, from 2 yards, or fumbles, some fine goals there

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Are you sure he was part of the starting XI Invincible side?

according to soccerbase (not sure how accurate) he only played in 12 league games that season, he was given a free transfer at the end of that season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Taffarel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

according to soccerbase (not sure how accurate) he only played in 12 league games that season, he was given a free transfer at the end of that season
    Yeah wasn't a starter by any means - Toure & Campbell was the first-choice centre-back partnership that year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Dida and Seedorf definitely. The former for just being awful and the latter for being one of the laziest feckers in the game.

I'm gonna say Paul Doolin when he was finishing his career at Shels between 98 and 01. Jeez he used to infuriate me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Zenden, I have no idea how he got to wear a red shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I can't believe anyone putting forward Seedorf here.

Seedorf was/is an amazing player. Had he played in the Premiership he'd probably be higher regarded here.

Fabio Capello signed him for Real Madrid once, he had an excellent season and helped them win the title in his first year. The following season he was instrumental in helping Madrid to win the European Cup, especially in the final against Juve.

A year later he then joined Inter for 15 million pounds. I remember he scored some amazing goals for them and made a habit of it against Juve.

For some reason though, along with Pirlo, they allowed him to move over to their city rivals for next to nothing, and since then Milan have added 2 more European Cup while Inter continue to fail in Europe.

Also, Capello isn't known to be a great admirer of ''lazy'' players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Speaking of Pele, remember his 125 best players of all time list from like '04? I know it's not a great team but it is a great list....except for the odd rubbish player....El Hadj Diouf and Javi Saviola spring to mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Niclolas Bentner of Arsenal F.C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

nuxxx wrote: »
    Niclolas Bentner of Arsenal F.C

Up to the start of this season i'd agree....

But from what i have seen he has started very well, a marked improvement,

scored a cracking goal for Denmark at the weekend too.

Lets see if he can keep it up.

Ok I think I've been convinced on the Dida issue but there's no way seedorf is in! This team has got a bit of a ac Milan/Brazilian slant so far

......................... Dida...................

Bravo........... R Junior.........?............?

.....................Ambrosini..................
    .............?...............?.........Karembeu
    ................?.......................?.............

Considering some of the others such as Cruyff and Diouf but don't think their teams at the time fill the grade such as players above. Keep em coming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Jesper Blomqvist

Made 29 appearances in the treble winning season.

Jesper Blomqvist

He wasn't rubbish tbh. He was as good, if not a better winger, than Park currently is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Des wrote: »
    He wasn't rubbish tbh. He was as good, if not a better winger, than Park currently is.

My memory must be **** then, because I hated seeing him near the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Jesper Blomqvist

He was veyr good for us that season. Not first choice material week in, week out, but his performances were above competent and he provided us with a few goals and assists over the campaign. He was a very good squad player for us that year, it is a shame, imo, that injuries ruined his career in the end.

Himself, Berg and especially May are very under-rated by some fans with regards to their contribution that season at least.

Eboue As A Right Mid For Arsenal!
    Was Good At Right Back Though.

Blomqvist was an excellent player. If he wasn't injured he'd have done much more.

Christopher Wreh with Arsenal in 1998.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

jesus, do some people know what great teams are?

can anyone tell me the great teams that eboue, jeffers, kuyt, bendtner, zenden, bellion etc played in?

event wrote: »

can anyone tell me the great teams that eboue, jeffers, kuyt, bendtner, zenden, bellion etc played in?
    Arsenal, Man United And Liverpool have always been great teams imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Headshot wrote: »
    I raise you Dong Fangzhuo

/end thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Redzer7 wrote: »

ah no, i think what the OP meant though was truly standout teams in the history of football, not necessarily just great clubs with tradition.

Brazil 1970
    Liverpool 1984
    Argentina 1986
    AC Milan 1992
    Brazil 1994
    Arsenal 1998
    Real Madrid 1998
    Man United 1999
    Brazil 2002
    Arsenal 2004
    Barcelona 2009

These, for me, are examples of stand out teams, and it would make for a much more interesting discussion, rather than just chucking out crap players big clubs have signed through the years.

SlickRic wrote: »
    ah no, i think what the OP meant though was truly standout teams in the history of football, not necessarily just great clubs with tradition.

Brazil 1970
    Liverpool 1984
    Argentina 1986
    AC Milan 1992
    Brazil 1994
    Arsenal 1998
    Real Madrid 1998
    Man United 1999
    Brazil 2002
    Arsenal 2004
    Barcelona 2009

These, for me, are examples of stand out teams, and it would make for a much more interesting discussion, rather than just chucking out crap players big clubs have signed through the years.
    Ok then jeremie aliadiere Arsenal 2004.

event wrote: »

He played in the unbeaten season!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Dunga playing for Brazil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Not a 'great' team, but a very good team - Jesper Gronkjaer in the first season of Chelsea's big spending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

they have in me arsé

were liverpool a great team in 99 when they finished 7th?
    what about arsenal in 96, finishing 5th?

great clubs maybe, but not great teams
    He played in the unbeaten season!

no, he was on loan at everton that season IIRC, only played in the charity shield as a sub

syngindub wrote: »
    Dunga playing for Brazil

:eek:

Without him as a holding player they wouldn't have won in 94 imo (Mauro Silva helped as well of course).

Ok then jeremie aliadiere Arsenal 2004.

I think the fact that this man even played enough games to collect a medal that season should give him a good shout for the team.

It's starting to look like John o shea's versatility could come back to haunt him here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Frank Le Bouef, world cup in 98

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

bullvine wrote: »
    Frank Le Bouef, world cup in 98

As far as I remember he was one of the EPL's best defenders at the time , far from "rubbish" anyway

Well its a matter of opinion really, he had some shocking games for Chelsea as well but because he played the ball on as Libero he got away with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Xavi6 wrote: »
    :eek:

Without him as a holding player they wouldn't have won in 94 imo (Mauro Silva helped as well of course).

hoding players are big strong and rubbish

Dunga was one of the key men in that team in fairness, I remember he smacked in a lovely peno in the shootout.

Don't forget Kevin Mcdonald in the Pool 86 team though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

syngindub wrote: »
    hoding players are big strong and rubbish

actually quite a lot of them are fairly little guys oddly enough, Makalele, Mascherano, Lass Diara, Gattuso etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement