Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rubbish players in great teams.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

bullvine wrote: »
    Frank Le Bouef, world cup in 98

na your man up front, Guivarch was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Trilla wrote: »
    na your man up front, Guivarch was it?

The lad who scored 43 goals in the two seasons before the World Cup? Yeah that's him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

Juan Eduardo Esnaider.

Played striker, in 16 performances for Juventus he scored : 0 goals

In 30 performances for Real Madrid he scored : 2 goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I find it amazing that Eric Abidal is the first choice left-back at Barcelona. For a team that prides itself on their attacking capabilities, he's terrible going forward. In defence, he's not much better!

Michael Carrick at Manchester United is another player that stands out. When you look at the great central midfielders in the world like Xavi, Fabregas, Lampard, etc; you see just how inadequate and inconsistant Carrick really is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Personally, i think this guy shouldn't have been anywhere near he Milan 03 CL winning team.

But i guess he DID have his moments like playing well at Euro 04.

However, Milan Baros was top scorer that year so i give you................

Jon Dahl Tomasson

249_big.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Redzer7 wrote: »
    He played in the unbeaten season!

Jaysus sir you are obsessed with Jeffers :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Carsten Jancker for germany

Had a few bright spots to his career (well, only really his spell at Bayern), but all in all a poor footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭daniel91

Kezman when he was with Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Jancker is a great call!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Titus Bramble when he was at Newcastle.

Alves at Boro.

Nani at MU.

Voronin, Babel, Lucas, Dossena @ Liverpool. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Titus Bramble when he was at Newcastle.

Alves at Boro.

/looks at thread title :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭villager

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Two Words - Francis Jeffers.

when did he ever play in a great team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

bullvine wrote: »
    Frank Le Bouef, world cup in 98

he doesnt care, he won the world cup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

SpAcEd OuT wrote: »
    Juan Eduardo Esnaider.

Played striker, in 16 performances for Juventus he scored : 0 goals

In 30 performances for Real Madrid he scored : 2 goals
    he was a star in champ manager tho!! world beater!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Carsten Jancker for germany

Had a few bright spots to his career (well, only really his spell at Bayern), but all in all a poor footballer.

Great call, exactly what I'm looking for. He was a big hefty piece of crap and was part of a very successful Munich team at the time. He was a poor mans Jan koller! Definitely in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Victor Valdes - Barcelona

Couldn't be more mistaken here tbh, key part of Barcelona's treble winning season, and the other CL + 2 league titles.

I find it amazing that Eric Abidal is the first choice left-back at Barcelona. For a team that prides itself on their attacking capabilities, he's terrible going forward. In defence, he's not much better!

I actually disagree in that his attacking is much better than his defence, he is ok at overlapping with Henry, but in defence he is only seen as capable because of his pace. He is definitely Barca's fastest player, and it looks good when he makes recovery tackles, whereas a defender with half a brain wouldn't be put in that situation in the first place.

Anyway, Abidal wouldn't be rubbish imo. Oleguer Presas on the otherhand, how he played so consistently in a team that won the CL and two leagues is beyond me... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Steve Nichol

What's peoples views on Denilson? He has a Copa America medal in his cabinat as well as a world cup runners up and winning medal. He also once said ' I choose to wear number 20 for Brazil because I'm twice as good as a number 10'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Rekop dog wrote: »
    What's peoples views on Denilson? He has a Copa America medal in his cabinat as well as a world cup runners up and winning medal. He also once said ' I choose to wear number 20 for Brazil because I'm twice as good as a number 10'.

He was brilliant when he wanted to be but he just didn't have the head for it really. Very very skillful player but obviously a bit mad. Love the quote about number 20 though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I know people will not agree with this but in my opinion I think Michael Carrick is currently one of the most rubbish players playing at Man United. I don't know how he gets away with it, I know it doesn't really fit into this perfectly but my god he annoys me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I think the next person to mention a team which didn't win the CL, World Cup, national title 70 years in a row or didn't even win the bloody League Cup the year the player played should be tied to a chair and made listen to Jamie Radknapp's punditry for 3 days straight!

Who said Boro and Newcastle? Holy Sh1tballs!

GREAT teams, teams which achieved something!

Speaking of great teams, the treble winning Barca team of 2009 and their €18m signing who made 23 apps and 0 good impressions....................

Martin Caceres

Seen here, having trouble man-marking a tree
    Martin_Caceres.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

bruno cheyrou...igor biscan...also about 50% of other players bought under gerard houllier:pac:

Y.N.W.A

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Smegball wrote: »
    Jaysus sir you are obsessed with Jeffers :pac:
    He really is shíte :P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    actually quite a lot of them are fairly little guys oddly enough, Makalele, Mascherano, Lass Diara, Gattuso etc

..and Keane
    marko91 wrote: »
    bruno cheyrou...igor biscan...also about 50% of other players bought under gerard houllier:pac:

Y.N.W.A

Can you understand the phrase Great team? Last time Liverpool were a great team I nor You were alive.

Now, Darren Mansaram and Harpal Singh in the all conquering Bohs team of last year. Shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ANTIFA!

That massive Australian with AC Milan, Kalac.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

LOL at saying LeBouef, how is that spelt?!?

Gronkjaer. Now thats a donkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

CHD wrote: »
    Gronkjaer. Now thats a donkey.
    good shout. He wasn't a bad dribbler, but he couldn't cross his legs!

In fairness though if it wasn't for that goal against Liverpool, in 2003, Roman wouldn't have bought the club, and we would probably be where Leeds are now.

What about Jody Morris, De Lucas or Jokanovic?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I know people will not agree with this but in my opinion I think Michael Carrick is currently one of the most rubbish players playing at Man United. I don't know how he gets away with it, I know it doesn't really fit into this perfectly but my god he annoys me.

There is an epicly continuous disagreement on the United thread about how good or bad he is. I wouldn't go as far as to call him rubbish but i totally agree that he doesn't deserve to be a United first team player.

Dida with Milan stands out for me. The classic goalkeeper who is a shot stopper and nothing else, he was very lucky to be part of such a great team. Also Seadorf had completely lost interest by the time he was getting to CL finals with Milan, it's amazing how little effort he was putting in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

blue-army wrote: »

In fairness though if it wasn't for that goal against Liverpool, in 2003, Roman wouldn't have bought the club, and we would probably be where Leeds are now.

Yeah he got that goal which to be fair has us where we are today but still he's a donkey.

They were terrible too. Bogarde was a money grabbin b*?"rd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

..and Keane

Can you understand the phrase Great team? Last time Liverpool were a great team I nor You were alive.

Now, Darren Mansaram and Harpal Singh in the all conquering Bohs team of last year. Shocking.

great team you say?i think we have a great team right now...well we have a great starting 11 but we dont have the debth to have many super subs come on and win a game for us!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

syngindub wrote: »
    Dunga playing for Brazil

You've just highlighted to me that you know nothing about football. Dunga was a great player and for me possibly Brazil's most under-rated player in generations. Go back and watch some of the matchs he played in. While the strikers took all the plaudits the team just didn't move or tick over when Dunga wasn't on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

A lot of people saying Gronkjaer, has he ever played in a great team?

Also Frank LeBoeuf was a very good defender and while in the chelsea squad was possibly the best passer in the premiership back then.

I'd have to agree with Dida and Jeffers. Wouldn't say any Liverpool player as I wouldnt' class them as having a really great team since the 80's. Roque Junior was my thought but someone already brought that one up.

Now I know it was slightly before the '99 team but the guts of that squad was there in '97 when a one Karel Poborsky strutted his woeful stuff across the old trafford turf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    This will turn to a "rubbish man utd vs rubbish liverpool players" thread eventually.
    I hope it doesn't... I'm not a man u fan anyway...

I have much respect for Liverpool... They are a very good team... I just think dirk kuyt doesn't deserve to be there... I have no problem with any other liverpool player... alongside players such as gerrard and torres and masherano he looks pretty poor...

MrStuffins wrote: »

GREAT teams, teams which achieved something!

Speaking of great teams, the treble winning Barca team of 2009 and their €18m signing who made 23 apps and 0 good impressions....................

Martin Caceres

Jesus didn't know he cost that much. He was really poor whenever I saw him play last year. He's in

I decided to let Djimi Traore in too because he actually won everything apart from the EPL with pool and although the team where far from great, I'll make exception for him due to his ability to score a great own goal.

Team
    .................................Dida.............................
    Bravo..............R.junior............Caceres..............Traore

................................Ambrosini................................
    .............?.....................?.......................Karembeu.....

...................................Aliadiare..............................
    .....................................Janker.................................

Nearly there. Surely there's a couple of midfielders that fit the bill out there we haven't mentioned yet.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The lad who scored 43 goals in the two seasons before the World Cup? Yeah that's him.

Ye, the one out and out forward they played that didnt score one goal in the World Cup, sold by Newcastle after 4 games to Rangers... and only 1 goal, ONE goal for his Country. World beating Country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Paul Parker was a useless player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Christian Panucci seemed pretty usless & played for some great teams in his time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

igors stepanovs - arsenal

seba veron, Jordi Cruyff, Karel Poborsky, Diego Forlan, Djemba-Djemba, Kleberson, Silvestre - Utd

BTW - Paul parker was one of the best full backs in England in his heyday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Veron, Poborsky and Forlan were great (maybe Poborsky is just good)players who didn't fit in one team.

Jonathan Zebina is one for me. absolute muck but got in Roma's Serie A winning team (and greatest ever) and then 2 of Juve's Serie A wins (albeit Calciopolli removed) their Serie B team and then kept his place for a while when we returned. He's still there FFS

Michele Padovano was part of the Juve team that got to 2 Champion's league finals in a row and even scored the in the penalty shoot out but was a nothing player. Moved to Crystal Palace after Juve, a true barometer of his talent

Max Power1 wrote: »
    i
    Jordi Cruyff

In fairness, he cost feck all and didnt play that frequently. 7.5m for him, Porbosky, Van Der Gouw, Solskjaer and Ronny Johnsen. Great business by United imo
    BTW - Paul parker was one of the best full backs in England in his heyday

Agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Paul parker was one of the best full backs in England in his heyday

I am a Man U fan and I used to be petrified when they passed the ball to Parker, he always panicked and gave the ball away, he could defend but his basic footballing skills were awful (passing, controlling a ball etc). Did you actually ever see him play?
    If I am Brutally honest, Skillwise, Steve Bruce wasn't much of a player either :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭GymJim

blue-army wrote: »

But Chelsea were only average pre-Abramovich so doesn't really count. You just pointed out 3 poor players in an average team.

Think he was mentioned before but Michael Carrick. He's almost like the guy who posed in the CL final picture all those years ago...no one knows why he's there really.

Milito for Barca too I reckon...very poor defender but I suppose that doesn't generally matter to Barca

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

GymJim wrote: »
    But Chelsea were only average pre-Abramovich so doesn't really count. You just pointed out 3 poor players in an average team.

Think he was mentioned before but Michael Carrick. He's almost like the guy who posed in the CL final picture all those years ago...no one knows why he's there really.

Milito for Barca too I reckon...very poor defender but I suppose that doesn't generally matter to Barca

Ah I don't think he's that bad now - not worth €16 million but he's not bad. Plus he's always injured so that doesn't help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

iregk wrote: »

Also Frank LeBoeuf was a very good defender and while in the chelsea squad was possibly the best passer in the premiership back then.

Pretty damn good at free-kicks as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ANTIFA!

BERNARD LAMA, he probably wasnt bad but i just thought he looked bad whenever i seen him in goal for france.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

GymJim wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    The season before Abramovich, 2002-03, Chelsea were the tenth-biggest club in Europe in terms of revenues.
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/chelsea/article4281997.ece
    Revenue doesn't mean much, but no way in hell were we ever just an "average club". West Ham, Spurs, Everton, Newcastle etc.. are 'average clubs.

We also secured a Champions League place for the 2nd time in 4 years, the season BEFORE Abramovich took over.

We won the Uefa Cup Winners Cup AND the Super Cup in 1998. FA Cup in '97 and '00. Runners up in '94 and '02.

We came 4th in 1998, 3rd in '99 and tbh I can't remember the last season where we didn't get UEFA Cup football at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Bernard Diomede, and his world cup winners medal in 1998

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Kess73 wrote: »
    Bernard Diomede, and his world cup winners medal in 1998
    Very good call

The definition of great teams in this thread is laughable though

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

Eric Abidal was good 3 years ago before his injury but he just is not good enough for Barcelona.

Also Guti how he has lasted 10 years at Real Madrid is a joke

• Advertisement
Advertisement