Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PROBLEM STARTING BMW

• 07-09-2009 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi , I have returned to biking after many years. Got myself a bmw k1200lt. Due to the weather and work pressures I am not getting out on it as often as I would like. Twice now I have had to put a charge on the battery ( brand new) to start her. Is this common with grand tourers, it is in a garage when not in use. Is there any way of stoping the lights coming on before starting as I feel this is putting pressure on the battery. Is there a jump-start device that can be plugged in to the mains to start the bike in low battery situations. :confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

I assume you have an alarm on it, which would be draining the battery?

Some alarms have winter/holiday mode which reduces the battery power consumption, but effectively only leaves you with an alarm only if the key is used.

I've gone 2 weeks with the alarm fully on so far without needing the charger but I don't think I'd get more then that. I did once drain my battery in 1 night when messing with my alarm settings. It did say though to unplug the headlight fuse before starting :rolleyes:

If you have access to the fuses you can pull the headlight fuse in order to try to start her up when you know it's been a while.

Your best bet is to regularly maintain your battery. Maybe ensuring it gets a full charge cycle every weekend or something similar. I've got one of these http://www.accumate.co.uk/it010003.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

What ^Dorsanty^ said, but I also had similar problems with the factory battery on my GS. Battery was constantly down (most likely due to the alarm). Got tired of it eventually, and replaced the battery with an Odyssey battery, and I have never had a single problem since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

It could also be that the battery's not getting proper charge when the engines running, leaving the electrics to drain the battery. I'd get a voltmeter and check your battery and make sure its getting enough charge from the alternator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

Just get an Optimate like above. It comes with a connector that you leave on the battery permanently (leave it under the saddle or somthing). When you park up just plug it in, and leave it. Will always start then.

The Optimate is designed to leave on the battery for long periods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

If it's left for long periods, the battery will not last, so, as mentioned, get a floating charger for it - Optimate or similar.

+1 on the Odyssey battery - even if that does go down, it's good for recovering.

With regard to the K's - if the engine does not exceed a certain rpm under cranking, the engine won't fire - it's part of the ECU's programme, iirc. That's why battery condition is so important.

As for the lights on thing, well, the K should have a load-shedding relay, so if you look, you'll find that the lights come on with ignition, but as soon as you hit the starter button, they cut out. This is a std German practice for yonks (23yrs in the case of K's !! )

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 justhedog

galwaytt wrote: »
    If it's left for long periods, the battery will not last, so, as mentioned, get a floating charger for it - Optimate or similar.

+1 on the Odyssey battery - even if that does go down, it's good for recovering.

With regard to the K's - if the engine does not exceed a certain rpm under cranking, the engine won't fire - it's part of the ECU's programme, iirc. That's why battery condition is so important.

As for the lights on thing, well, the K should have a load-shedding relay, so if you look, you'll find that the lights come on with ignition, but as soon as you hit the starter button, they cut out. This is a std German practice for yonks (23yrs in the case of K's !! )
    Thank s for the info guys, I take it that it is not necessary to disconect the bike leads from the batt. when using the Optimate. Is there a device for jump-starting from mains electric.:confused:

Saw jump leads for sale at $20 on www.bikersden.com . Are these available in Ireland or the UK.:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ya could unplug the coffee maker from the bike. Haw haw haw

seanybiker wrote: »
    NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT THAT SEANYBIKER, gob****e:cool::cool::cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

seanybiker wrote: »

lmao :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

justhedog wrote: »
    Thank s for the info guys, I take it that it is not necessary to disconect the bike leads from the batt. when using the Optimate. Is there a device for jump-starting from mains electric.:confused:

The BeeEmm has a charging socket on it as standard, no need to disturb anything. If the charger you use doesn't have the BeeEmm plug, just change the plug. 5 min job.

No need to move the coffee machine...;) ...they're just jealous....:p

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭Dutch_Druid

EDIT

PROBLEM: OWNING BMW

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Just a quick question do I need a multimeter or voltmeter to check the rec/reg and how do I check the thing? Not sure if the battery is ****ed or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

get a metre thingme bob and check the battery. Then will know.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭naulpolan

Had the same problems with my GS and sorted it with the Oddessy battery (from Nippy Normans) I also invested in an Optimate and plug it in regularly through the aux power socket.

The best bit about owning a BM is the anxious few seconds just before she starts:o I love it!!!!!!

Advertisement