Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Declining a masters?

Options
  • 07-09-2009 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

I applied for a masters mid August and got accepted today. When I applied I didn't really think too much about financing it. I don't think I will be able to do so sufficiently, but would like to come back and do the masters next year. If I decline it, will the department of the uni look on an application next year, unfavourably?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mr.interested

It depends on a university. Generally speaking, you can accept a course, pay a deposit, and defer the course.

However, if you turn the offer down, you will have to make another application next year. Therefore, if you have money for the deposit, and you are sure that you will undertake the course next year, I would suggest to accept the course and defer it.

(In spite of non-refundable character of the deposit, you can always change a course within a university, and the deposit will be transferred on account of the new course.)

PS. How many Master's degrees you want to do next year? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 doughnut

Just be honest and tell them of your financial situation... obviously it was taught masters, can u defer?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Contact the department in question and see if it possible to defer and take up your place next year instead. Explain the reasons why. Most departments are understanding, but it will depend on the university policy. However, as mentioned above, you will probably have to pay a deposit to secure your place.

Advertisement