Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs in old age

Options
  • 07-09-2009 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭

I have a really old shih tzu and she has recently started going to toilet in the house even though she has been good all her life. Has she reverted back to pre training or is senile??

She drinks a lot more water too but we put her out the back and also bring her for walks and she goes to the toilet but she just goes when she comes back too.

Anyone experience the same with there dogs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Unfortunately, as dogs get significantly older they can to loose some control of their pee and poo. Sounds like a symptom of age to me but might be a good idea to bring her to the vet just to make sure she doesn't have a kidney/bladder infection (would be concerned about the increase in water drinking). However, sometimes with older dogs it's just one of those things. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

yeah we dont want to bring to vet incase he says to put her down - rest of family including myself would be distraught and very sad when she does go!

She has the lumps and stuff from cancer on her body - she is still a goer though ha ha

5492_126565668383_623843383_3064719_1515750_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭li-evo7

yeah we dont want to bring to vet incase he says to put her down - rest of family including myself would be distraught and very sad when she does go!

She has the lumps and stuff from cancer on her body - she is still a goer though ha ha

5492_126565668383_623843383_3064719_1515750_n.jpg

She is a lovely dog. I do think it would be better to take her to the vet though and get her checked out.I know its very hard to lose a dog but it could be something minor.Rather than have her suffer which Im sure you wouldn't want.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Oh please bring her to the vet, it could be a simple kidney infection, but its not fair to leave her in pain if she does have one. You need to think of the dog first and put her feelings and health before your feelings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

andreac has it.
    Gorgeous dog btw, and I know how heartbreaking it is to be afraid to lose her, but if it's just a simple kidney infection, you could get it sorted now. If you leave it it'll get worse and there'll be no coming back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Aw, she's a little beauty! A simple dose of antibiotics could be all she needs, if she does have a kidney infection.

Also, if it's just old age, perhaps try some puppy pads indoors so that she has somehwere to go if she can't make it outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Puppy pads?? We do leave down newspapers but she doesnt use them.

Will take the advice on here and will bring her to vets - cheers

Advertisement