Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line Stats

• 07-09-2009 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Im currently on an Eircom 3mb package, am thinking of switching over to vodafone, they are offering a 7mb package for less than what im currently paying to eircom...

From looking at my stats can anyone say if my line is capable of 7mb....!?

max allowed speed 3072 384
    SN Margin 25.30 19.00
    line attenuation 17.00 8.00
    CRC Errors 0 0

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Im currently on an Eircom 3mb package, am thinking of switching over to vodafone, they are offering a 7mb package for less than what im currently paying to eircom...

From looking at my stats can anyone say if my line is capable of 7mb....!?

max allowed speed 3072 384
    SN Margin 25.30 19.00
    line attenuation 17.00 8.00
    CRC Errors 0 0

Your lines capable of 21 megs with an ADSL2 provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Spear wrote: »
    Your lines capable of 21 megs with an ADSL2 provider.

Could you please explain how this is computed?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Simi

http://www2.farina1.com/adsl/

Using a calculator like this. As you can see, if you enter your stats, your line is easily capable of handling 7mb. Lucky you!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Could you please explain how this is computed?

Thanks.

I use this capability checker.

http://kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Cheers for the replies and the websites for the explanation. My house is roughly around a 1km from the exchange, so all good for me !

I live in County Monaghan, are there any ADSL2 providers up here or are they all city based at the moment !?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If your exchange is small and recently enabled then it is an ADSL2 exchange , does eircom allow you to order their 24Mb package by any chance ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

You can see if your line is on an ADSL2+ exchange or just a normal ADSL Bitstream exchange by going to Smart Telecom's website checker:

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/line_checker.aspx

Not in Monaghan , that checker does not seem to do Bitstream exchanges .

The best bet is to see if eircom or BT appear to let you order 12mb or 24mb which are ADSL2 exchange only packages .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Not in Monaghan , that checker does not seem to do Bitstream exchanges .

The best bet is to see if eircom or BT appear to let you order 12mb or 24mb which are ADSL2 exchange only packages .
    It does check Bitstream exchanges. Mine is one, for example.

Not mine , odd that :)

"Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection. Parameter name: index "

It does the exchange nearby which is Bistream , deceifer is generally right . Soz:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,956 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Not mine , odd that :)

"Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection. Parameter name: index "

I got the same result although I'm sure that test used to work for me and give a positive.

Advertisement