Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading DDR3 RAM - What manufacturer....

Options
  • 07-09-2009 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

So I'm looking for people's recommendations. I currently have OCZ Platinum PC6400 DDR2 RAM, 2GB. I am looking to upgrade to DDR3. My Mobo is a Gigabyte GA-P35T-DS3P, P35 Socket 775.: http://www.gigabyte.eu/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2622

I also have a Intel Core2Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz. I am looking into either 4GB or 6GB of DDR3. Probably max speed is 1333Mhz as this is the max FSB of the Mobo. I have seen Crucial, OCZ, Transcend, G Skill. I would either go for Crucial or OCZ but does anyone else have opinions.?

Thanks boardsies

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

My opinion is... none of them.

You already have 4GB of reasonably quick PC6400, timings aren't too shabby, so why blow €60-100 on DDR3 which will only be a little faster and much of the additional edge will be blunted by radically increased latencies? Some apps and many games won't thank you for the latter :(

To add injury to insult you have another reason not to upgrade: a good DDR2-8500 kit will be cheaper than a DDR3-8500 kit and have much tighter timings (usually CL5 vs. CL7). And AFAIK DDR3-8500 is as high as you can go - 1066MHz DDR3 for a 1066MHz FSB. At stock a Q6600 will limit your mobo to FSB1066 regardless of the mobo's potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

Hi Solitaire,

Thanks for that.

I wasn't sure if the CPU would limit the FSB to the CPU max FSB as opposed the max FSB of the Motherboard. So in my case CPU FSB max is 1066Mhz, Mobo FSB maz is 1333Mhz. I did notice that the CL timings of the DDR3 is around CL7-CL9
    I actually only have a total of 2GB RAM PC6400 CL 4-4-4-15 in my current PC, should have made that point a little clearer.

I came across this http://www.memoryc.ie/products/description/4GB_OCZ_DDR2_PC2_8500_Platinum_Series-5_5_5_18-Dual_Channel_kit/index.html

Ah, so you want/need an upgrade either way?

But is there no way to install an identical kit to the one you already have? 800MHz@4-4-4-12 is good stuff :)If there are two more DDR2 slots on the mobo you might be able to pick up a second similar 2GB kit for €30-40, just keep an eye on rated voltages! (needs to be the same as your current batch)

If not then both stock-voltage 800MHz CL4 and overvolted 1066MHz CL5 is available in 4GB (2*2GB) kits for €50-65. Yeah, DDR2 prices are starting to rise... but DDR3 has also gone up. Its hard to find a decent 4GB kit under €80 now, although there are a few good deals around. Problem is there's no point spending the same amount on higher-latency 1066MHz DDR3 and you'll need to OC your PC before trying to run 1333MHz (plus most of the offers on low-latency CL6/7/8 4GB kits are gone).

Well yeah, I would like to increase the RAM. I was going to replace my current RAM.
    Being honest I didn't think of adding 2GB more of the same. You mentioned voltages.
    Q1 - The current RAM has a 2.1V, most of the RAM I've seen is 1.65V-1.8V. Would that be an issue..I think it may be...

My mobo has colour coded RAM slots 2xDDR2 and 2xDDR3 slots. But the spec on the Gigabyte url above states
    "4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 8 GB of system memory (Note1) ®Dual channel memory architecture ®Support for DDR3 1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules"
    Q2 - Does it matter which slots I use. Also, can I put DDR2 800Mhz into all 4 slots

Q3 - Your 800Mhz CL4 link is for G.Skill. Have you used them before or are they any good?

Cheers

Any advice on the G.Skill RAM or adding all new RAM??

• Advertisement

What mobo do you have? There's no such thing as a "DSP" and the "DS3P" is DDR3-only. You sure that's not a DS3R? Or something else altogether? And what DIMM slots does it have? 4*DDR2 and 2*DDR3? or the other way around? Or 2 of both? :confused:

Gigabyte mobos that support DDR2 are marked GA-*P35-****. Ones that support DDR3 are GA-*P35T-**** Ones that support both (like yours) are GA-*P35C-****.

batman2000 wrote: »
    My Mobo is a Gigabyte GA-P35T-DS3P, P35 Socket 775.: http://www.gigabyte.eu/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2622

It's a GA-P35T-DS3P. Yet I am running DDR2 RAM (The 2GB-OCZ PC6400)....[Edit]:See post #10 oops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 oneway

We use Crucial.com or Kingston.com - both have configuration sites that pick the best memory for your system. Recently crucial have had the edge as their postage rates are better. Always fast and properly packaged (I'm not commercially associated with either :-) )

Have fun

Oneway

Thanks oneway.

I must apologise to Solitaire. My shipping docs for my PC showed DDR2 OCZ PC6400 1.5V.
    When I double checked I noticed and opened my case I found 2x 1GB Crucial DDR3 PC8500 CL7 http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CT12864BA1067.

So to add, do I need to match the voltages of the new DDR3 RAM?????

Yes you are right Solitaire, obviously, that the DS3P can only support DDR3.......I feel like a right plonker !! ;-)

Knew it had to be one or the other... :D

Well, fast DDR2 is out of the question. You're stuck with DDR3. Slow DDR3 to boot. Did I mention you should OC your CPU? :P

If not, then just get a couple of cheap standard 1Gb DDR3-8500 DIMMs - JEDEC-compliant ones should have stock timings of 7-7-7-20 @ 1.5V, which is what you already have.

• Advertisement

Yep its PC8500 (as the FSB of the CPU is that 1066Mhz).

By OC the CPU - I have a option in the Mobo to adjust the BIOS setting and set the CPU to Criuise, Sport, Full Throttle etc.. (MB Intellegence Tweaker- MIT)Seems to be the same as this funky youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kf_hSIpa0A

or thishttp://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-240001_11_0.html

On the Youtube video the author reduces the CPU voltage control, in the Toms Hardware he mentions to increase it. Which is correct.?

Nope, I really meant sticking the FSB speed up to 333MHz ;) Of course, seeing as this would have your Q6600 bouncing along at 3.2GHz you'd probably need to increase its voltage a bit, and would probably need something better than the stock cooler to boot thanks to the increased heat output. But at least you could run 1333MHz DDR3 :D

Obviously not very practical unless you having "the inclination" along with some decent cooling... :o

True thanks for that, It seemed to be overheating during the hot weather (June !!) at 2.4Ghz (266*9). I did change the DEC# to 333 to see and it is now running at 3.0Ghz. Can you OC RAM?

Also, I know this is slightly Tweaking and Modding. But do these CPU Core temps seem high? (OC@3.0Ghz) Also added Fan speed

Back down to stock for now. Then either just get some extra DDR3-8500 and live with it, or (if you need improved system performance) get a better CPU cooler as well as a 2*2GB DDR3-10600 kit (a half-decent one isn't much money compared to DDR3, depressingly enough :() and see what happens with the 333MHz bus ;)

Do you any recommendations for a good CPU cooler..?

Cheers

Only if you're up for it, but... if budget or case clearance are limited try the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro. Very quiet and boasts full-tower performance in a mini-tower cooler :) If (and only if) you're willing to go the whole hog then look out for cheap, effective full-towers such as the Xigmatek S1283. There's plenty of others out there, it kinda depends on what's decent, affordable and on the same website as the prospective memory modules ;)

Plus, if you don't have any thermal paste either get some or at least make sure a prospective cooler has some included (the former is best but it adds €5-10 to the overall price of your upgrade)

Thanks, the Artctic Freezer Pro 7 is only £18 on Overclockers UK..Nice.
    Apparently it comes with the thermal paste pre-applied

Amazing how £18 turns into €40-50 when you figure in Irish VAT, shipping, currency conversions et al :P

Advertisement