Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens to all the puppies....

Options
  • 07-09-2009 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Something's been bothering me. I was planning on getting a puppy but thewhole family wasn't in agreement and since it's a family commitment we've shelved the plan for the moment.

But it's got me thinking. I had rung about a puppy and keep wondering and hoping all the puppies in that litter got good homes. I know shelters are chocka with unwanted puppies.

Are many 'planned' puppies - the pure breds and the designer 'hybrids' left unhomed and what happens to them?

Am I being very naive? Or do I really know or want to know what happens to them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Is that why you can't sleep.... 'Insomniakk'???:D
    It depends on where the 'planned' pups are coming from I think... The back yard breeders or hobby breeders who are crossing breeds to get the hybrids and designers seem to have no problem selling. And neither do the puppy farmers...it's why there are so many pups for sale- they're keeping ahead of the demand.
    A lot of the pups in rescue are from unplanned litters, or from dingbat owners who bought one and didn't do their research, or didn't realise the pup would cry at night or pee on the carpet....
    Pups bred at farms or by hobbyists that end up in rescue, are lucky to be there- at least a loving and suitable home will be found for them, and until then they'll be well taken care of. I'd be more worried for the ones that were sold.

But a pup from a reputable breeder that doesn't get sold on has nothing to worry about cos the reputable breeders are the ones who will either keep the unsold pups themselves, or rehome them free- and because they're reputable, they'll homecheck and vet the adopters to ensure the pup will be cherished in its new home.

Advertisement