Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vibram Five Fingers

Options
  • 07-09-2009 11:49pm
    Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,250 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

Has anyone used these? I'd never heard of them before(although they've ben around a while now??) and saw them in a shop when i was in the states last week, almost baught the one with the neoprene for kayaking. I'm a little sceptical that they'd be much use for hiking as they dont look to provide much ankle support.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

i have a pair. they are great fun, but not meant to replace hillwalking shoes or boots. they are a new species of footwear entirely. i wear them sometimes as they are like going barefoot but your feet dont get cut and have good traction. they are "fun shoes" not practical. but they are super great fun and quite cheap too. just make sure to get the sizing right. also dont set off on long trips without something else to put on when your feet get tired, and dont try carry loads while wearing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

Mickeroo wrote: »
    http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

I'm a little sceptical that they'd be much use for hiking as they dont look to provide much ankle support.

The idea is that you are suppoesd to be able to walk around without ankle support (we did it for millions of years before shoes).

If you are used to hiking with boots, then you wouldn't be able to go hiking with these straigth away, but if you walk around, and maybe start running with them, you will develop the muscles that are currently not being used, and then you should be able to go hiking.

They are supposed to make you walk/run in a better way, for your back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

i have a pair. they are great fun, but not meant to replace hillwalking shoes or boots. they are a new species of footwear entirely. i wear them sometimes as they are like going barefoot but your feet dont get cut and have good traction. they are "fun shoes" not practical. but they are super great fun and quite cheap too. just make sure to get the sizing right. also dont set off on long trips without something else to put on when your feet get tired, and dont try carry loads while wearing them.

I also have a pair, and I agree very much with what irishlostboy has said.

I don't wear boots much when hillwalking, trail runners generally do me. But I'd be hesitant to try wear the five fingers across uneven terrain I can't see - the sole is fairly light and not rigid at all.
    But I'm glad I bought them, they are nice to have. Basically, like has been said, best used any time that you'd normally go bearfoot, but might be afraid of getting pricked by a thorn or getting something nasty on your feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 The_Jabberwock

I'm looking to get a pair in Cork, does anybody know where they might be stocked? I'd buy them online, but I'd like to get the sizing perfect first.

• Advertisement

I'm looking to get a pair in Cork, does anybody know where they might be stocked? I'd buy them online, but I'd like to get the sizing perfect first.

i bought mine in new york as i couldn't find any in ireland at the time.
    there is a sizing chart on the fivefingers site that tells you how to get the right size. use a tape measure, and do it right. you want your sizing to be as close as possible on these. everyone has two different sized feet too, so one always feels different to the other in fivefingers. its pretty wierd, but they are stretchy enough to allow for this slight difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jconn

anyone know if the fivefingers footwear are available in Galway or Limerick, would like to try them on before purchasing online. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Absolutely
    Would love the Sprint ones but cannot seem to find them anywhere - even online they appear to be sold out in most places.

Any tips - except for ebay :)

http://sites.google.com/site/primallifestyle/

I'm pretty sure that's where I got mine, shipped from UK, seems to be the official distributor, mine were in good nick.

Thanks fergair.

I found a german vibram website late last night.
    Have ordered from them - though the payment method is weird - had to put it through my bank to an IBAN - no paypal / visa options.

Will hopefully get them shortly. Even ordered some socks :)

Here is the site - I used Google translate for each section as when I used the auto-translate feature I never got as far as the checkout.

Internet: www.vibram-fivefingers.de

• Advertisement

man, those prices are terrible. i got mine for 60usd in newyork. (a friend picked up a pair for me while he was there about a year ago) i have the kso ones, with the full upper and strap setup. over 100 euro on that german site! that is some mark-up. :eek:

man, those prices are terrible. i got mine for 60usd in newyork. (a friend picked up a pair for me while he was there about a year ago) i have the kso ones, with the full upper and strap setup. over 100 euro on that german site! that is some mark-up. :eek:

Agreed totally there.
    But not just the German site - check some of the English sites selling them. Actually more exp when you convert to Sterling.

Hey - if you are popping back over to the states pick up a few for the rest of us here :)

Not to go off on a tangent, but the prices for 'nicer' outdoor gear in europe as a whole are woeful compared to the states. I used be over and back to states on business, and one of the perks was being able to go into REI in california, and the north face outlet store. I've bought nice, new, north face trousers there for 20$ (on sale) that cost 90euro here; similar discounts on shoes, packs etc - the price of all the nicer more upper end gear and equipment in particular can be very different - the differences in tent prices too, insane.
    What can you do though? I occasionally buy stuff in from REI and get it shipped, but you don't get as good deals as if you can browse the store and pick up stuff in the sales, especially with the cost of shipping added on.

I'm not sure why the huge differential in prices. I know that there are some issues like better wages here (good) and import duties (less good).
    But I also think that there's a good bit of inefficiency over here - there's no real equivalent to, say, REI, which is setup as a co-operative. There's also less bulk due to a smaller market.
    But I also think a bit of a problem here is that the higher end outdoor sports gear is almost a fashion accessory/prestige thing, and that pushed up prices; certainly some of the prices in dublin shops came across as little more than pure price gouging - you might see a jacket for 350euro that costs 150 in the states, or 200 online here - its hard to argue that markup in terms of added costs of running an efficient business.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,250 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

fergalr wrote: »
    Not to go off on a tangent, but the prices for 'nicer' outdoor gear in europe as a whole are woeful compared to the states. I used be over and back to states on business, and one of the perks was being able to go into REI in california, and the north face outlet store. I've bought nice, new, north face trousers there for 20$ (on sale) that cost 90euro here; similar discounts on shoes, packs etc - the price of all the nicer more upper end gear and equipment in particular can be very different - the differences in tent prices too, insane.
    What can you do though? I occasionally buy stuff in from REI and get it shipped, but you don't get as good deals as if you can browse the store and pick up stuff in the sales, especially with the cost of shipping added on.

I'm not sure why the huge differential in prices. I know that there are some issues like better wages here (good) and import duties (less good).
    But I also think that there's a good bit of inefficiency over here - there's no real equivalent to, say, REI, which is setup as a co-operative. There's also less bulk due to a smaller market.
    But I also think a bit of a problem here is that the higher end outdoor sports gear is almost a fashion accessory/prestige thing, and that pushed up prices; certainly some of the prices in dublin shops came across as little more than pure price gouging - you might see a jacket for 350euro that costs 150 in the states, or 200 online here - its hard to argue that markup in terms of added costs of running an efficient business.

Couldn't agree more, the prices over here are nothing short of extortion. I was in syracuse recently, and picked up a pair of north face hiking trousers on sale for 23 dollars, would easily have cost between 50-70 euro over here. It's gotten so theres no point shopping here unless theres a clearence sale on or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

you can also get them on Amazon www.amazon.co.uk

Taltos wrote: »
    Thanks fergair.

I found a german vibram website late last night.
    Have ordered from them - though the payment method is weird - had to put it through my bank to an IBAN - no paypal / visa options.

Will hopefully get them shortly. Even ordered some socks :)

Here is the site - I used Google translate for each section as when I used the auto-translate feature I never got as far as the checkout.

Internet: www.vibram-fivefingers.de

So ordered them on the 23rd - and they arrived today... :)
    Feel very weird on - looking forward to getting out for a run in them next week.

105 for the sprint
    9.90 for shipping.
    so not too bad really - not anywhere near as cheap as the US but not much of an option with no trips coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Nialloooo

Hi All
    Im a distance runner half marathon, marathon and ultra coming up (i hope ;-) ) , are these good for road running? has any one tried them on this, reading a book called bprn to run AND it clames there good to prevent injury

Howdy.

Am planning to run a 1/2 marathon with them next April; with maybe a marathon or an ultra later in the year.

Ran 17k last week with them - worst I got were some slight friction burns on the upper part of both feet and some blisters on one toe.
    Got in touch with Vibram and to stop the friction burns they recommended the socks - wore this this week for a 6k run and worked a treat.

Would not recommend you put them on and just go out for a long run.
    Ease into them - you will find your style of running changes.
    Also be careful with the sizing - you want them to fit not squeeze - and listen to your feet - for me around the 6k mark was getting a pain in 2 toes on each foot - but now growing a callus there so it is improving - week by week - but slow process... DON'T OVERDO IT.

Running Style Change:
    I run now with more weight on the front of my feet, less heel to toe unless I am v tired.
    But ran a few weeks ago on concrete - and my heels killed me the next day from the impact. Will be staying off concrete from now on.

Stick initially to grass or softer surfaces and ease into it.

Personally I love the feel - brings me back to running barefoot as a kid.
    Be prepared for the stick from mates.

So for me - grass / offroad / tarmacadam - will use vibram
    For concrete - need to find something else - still looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Taltos

What socks did you use? was it the injini socks and if so where did you get them? I bought a pair of the vibrams a few weeks and tried them out on the track last week and on grass, preferred them on grass, they do look pretty freaky. I've been wearing them around the house just to get used to them but I my feet end up really cold as I've no socks.

Know what you mean about getting cold - but after a while I stopped noticing this.

The only reason I wear the socks now is to stop friction burns on runs over say 6 or 7k.

Got the socks from the german website where I bought the shoes - not sure what they are called - but they are just as funky.
    Definitely prefer the look of the shoes without the socks - as they just look like pop socks to me....

• Advertisement

Here's the link to the socks I got.

Still find the shoes a little tight with them on - but they do reduce the burns.

http://www.vibram-fivefingers.de/Zehensocken.php

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Nialloooo

just opened my xmas present from my girlfriend and yesssssssss its a pair, cant wait to try them out ... one problem ill have to with till new year they sent her two right feet :-( ill keep you posted

Start out on grass - and try to focus on shifting your foot placement to the front of your feet.
    Otherwise your heels are in for a hell of a time.
    Went out today for an 8k trot - good - but cold. Tried the grass but it was all mud and could not get a proper grip.

Also picked up a pair of runners (I know) for the off days as after a run in Djouce last week feet were a little sore from all the stones - ice - frost :)

Still loving them - hope you enjoy yours too.
    Don't forget the socks for say distances over 10k - otherwise you may get friction burns on parts of your feet where the skin in quite thin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Goat Mouth

I was wondering about something, I'm hoping to buy some off kayakshed.com
    but i've mesaured my feet and they're roughly ten inches which is fine, but i have collapse arches... would it be recommened i use these?

I've found when my feet are killing me the best thing for them is to walk about barefoot.

Not sure about the arches - you might need to seek medical advice on that.

Really though the only difference between wearing these and going barefoot is that your feet are a bit more protected from stuff on the ground.
    They do feel a bit strange between your toes - and the first few times they are a nightmare to put on - but it does feel great wearing them out and about. They are also a bit stiffer than barefoot - as you would imagine - but they are as close to walking/running barefoot as you can get while wearing shoes.

Had planned to wear them for a 1/2 marathon - but in training recently at around 16k my feet just got too sore - running on tarmacadam - so no cushioning. Will continue to wear them for 10k runs - and even hiking.

Let us know how you get on though.
    ps not that it matters - but I have over-pronounced arches :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Goat Mouth, I got my pair about two years ago from The Kayak Shed, and they're still going strong. I use them for kayaking, when I'm not in a boat big enough to take a pair of Tevas, as well as going on the odd plane journey. They feel like you're wearing nothing at all (nothing at all, nothing at all), and I'm glad to see the prices are comign down a bit, but for somethign made in Italy, you'd think the European prices would be lower than the stateside ones...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Guya

http://www.toesocks.co.uk/Light_Runner_Black-p-529.html?cat_sel=266_162_345

I got a pair of these this week and they are really comfy. A lot more cushion in them so would be ideal for anyone with the sprints. Thicker too so better for keeping the toes warm :)

Anyone who finds the Sprints tough on the sole might be interested to know that the KSOs have a thicker, softer insole. Vibram don't make that clear at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Finn Media

jconn wrote: »
    anyone know if the fivefingers footwear are available in Galway or Limerick, would like to try them on before purchasing online. thanks

They are stocked in Mahers and John Buckleys in cork however barefoot.ie are the Irish Vibram Fivefingers distributors so if you go to their website, it should give you a full stockist list in Ireland.

Regards

Denis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Has anyone purchaced from this crowd?

http://www.vibramfivefingersdublin.net/

Any info would be appriciated

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Phew thanks all,

Thought it looked a little too good to be true.

Cheers
    Patrick

Advertisement