Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats next?

• 08-09-2009 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi guys/gals

Long time snooper, first time poster (here)

So, I recieved a Sony Alpha 230 SLR with a 18-55 lense today, (Thank you Molly) and I've never been so excited in my life! Been looking to get into photography for a long time!
    I've charged the battery, everything is working just fine, but I'm wondering are there any basic rules I NEED to know?
    For example, I heard from someone that changing or removing the lense is a very serious procedure, I must insure that no dust gets in? This right?

Any other basic tips. I'm really nervous with it, I don't want to break it on the first day!

Also, with it I got two extra lenses
    • Telephoto Lens 2.0x 52mm
    • Wide Angle Lense with Macro 0.45x 62mm Filters
    Forgive my ignorance but when I 'used' them (tried them out) I didn't notice much difference, but bear in mind, I'm only just beginning, its like learning to drive a car or something "What does this do", "What happens when you press this"....

Any first timer tips would be great!
    Thanks, hope to start snapping soon and pop a few up here!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Just keep snapping and posting on here to get some feedback and learn more. the extra lenses you got sound like screw on adapters for your 18-55 lens if I'm not mistaken? They probably aren't the best quality glass in them but they can still be fun to use.

Changing lenses can cause small pieces of dust to fall onto the sensor but once you get used to changing lenses (having the camera turned upside down so dust cant fall into it) to try to prevent the dust you should be fine. You'll have to learn some photoshop/post processing skills too (which I think is as important a skill as taking a good picture!) to remove any dust spots from the picture. Sensors can be cleaned too so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Free software can be downloaded like GIMP which is supposed to be pretty good too.

Try to shoot on the highest quality you can too. Preferably RAW format...it can be harder to edit/photoshop/post process as you have more work to do but the end result is generally better. I'm sure the jpegs from the camera will be absolutely fine until you learn how to use your camera more. The more you use your lenses themore you'll learn what they are more suited for.

The best advice I can offer you is to bring the camera everywhere and take as many pictures as you can, of everything, with every setting so you have a steeper learning curve. Everything comes with experience so the more you shoot, the faster you'll learn and everyone on here are really nice/friendly and will offer advice and help the best they can. Everyone started somwhere and made the same mistakes along the way. Thats how we learn.

Keep posting on here. It's great motivation to shoot lots and it's good to get feedback and learn more!

Pete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Welcome aboard and enjoy your journey where ever it may take you.

For starters have a read here. Some good stuff in there generally done in a light hearted manner.

One additional tip to the above - Don't be shy and just join in.

Shout out to any one else lurking - we don't bite. Join in the discussion/debate. It don't matter whether you are film, camera phone, point and shoot, SLR or dSLR. That's what we are here for.

Advertisement