Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where were you when 9/11 happened?

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I was working at home and walked into town to meet my boss. I bought a Loop the Loop and asked the girl what was up. I was pretty annoyed when I found out it was Muslims.

I had one of my best days ever on 9-11 (knew 2 people who might have been there but when they weren't it was cool) and not JUST because of the cool filmic quality of the television.

MM
    hard luck fella!
    I know a girl who was sacked from the Roof of the World a few days earlier. She was badmouthing the manager later but I'd say she was a terrible worker.
    It doesn't horrify me.
    I am horrified by the upcoming tenth anniversary and the fact that it is practically a thoughtcrime to point out that Cantor Fitzgerald were the world's biggest lobbyists for continuing the thrid world debts of the 70s. They didn't care if they killed people to make money but I am supposed to weep for them?

Bad things sometimes happen off camera too. Read a book.
    No Thanks.
    Maybe I should have devoted my life to something other than money.
    False lots of Jews were killed on 9-11. That is a nasty lie but I have no idea who made it up :o
    Yes the CIA must be delighted. An aeroplane cannot destroy a skyscraper, that was proved in Milan a week later in the copycat attack.
    Terrorism is the surgical strike of the oppressed. If the claim that it was Muslims is true then they were hoping to kill 60,000.

I am a bit surprised that no one's nuked Manhattan.
    Brave is another way to put it.

And the award for the most posts on one page goes to.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

SV wrote: »
    It hasn't affected me in any way.
    I know the world the exact same way I knew it then.

Do you drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

You were never allowed bring on pressurised containers because the cabin is pressurised, it has nothing to do with terrorists.

Pedantic.

1. You may not have been allowed to but I did many times before 9.11

2. Even if I hadn't, you still know exactly what I mean.

Nothing better to do with your time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Buffy the bitch

Terrorism is the surgical strike of the oppressed. If the claim that it was Muslims is true then they were hoping to kill 60,000.

I am a bit surprised that no one's nuked Manhattan.

If they were hoping to kill that many why not drive the plane through something like a baseball, Soccer, American football stadium where they could have killed that many with one plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    You still had a 50p coin in your pocket 2 years after the euro was introduced :confused:

pretty sure it wasnt used till 2001 or 2 though..i think..
    but i was in 4th class at the time just strolling home from school..mam runs out saying a plane has crashed into the twin towers

thoughts at the time:...twin towers??what the hell is that

but i no now!!..didnt care at the time though still dont really...1000's of people of die everyday i dont dwell on them why should i on this particular event

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

If they were hoping to kill that many why not drive the plane through something like a baseball, Soccer, American football stadium where they could have killed that many with one plane.

and i totally agree...they werent going for numbers when they attacked...it was merely hey america look how 'untouchable' you are now..a kinda if we can do this with ease imagine what else we can do to ya

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I was in school junior cert year I think, there was a few whispers going about but nobody new or really cared, got home and my brother who was in college was still on his holidays was freaking out - crazy ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

kraggy wrote: »
    Do you drive?
    I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

At school, got home to my ma watching the news. Sat and watched the news then for the rest of the evening. People in school the next day were saying WW3 would break out :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

People in school the next day were saying WW3 would break out :P

My gf at the time wanted to come home from boarding school so we could be together incase the world ended :rolleyes:, the bitch cheated on me after.

• Advertisement

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    You still had a 50p coin in your pocket 2 years after the euro was introduced :confused:

Euro notes and coins were introduced in January 2002; but it began trading on the international markets in 1999.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

I was working in South William St at the time ,about two hours after it all happened i was on the way to the nearest pub to see it on their telly

Outside the Bankers Pub some bright spark barman rubbed out the chalkboard sign with the lunch menu on it to "WATCH WORLD WAR 3 HERE LIVE ON SKY NEWS"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 mountainview86

I was in third year in supervised study when i got a text saying 'World War 3' has just begun off one of my friends. I hadnt a clue what that meant, but when i got home and saw what had happened, i knew what he meant. His prediction was a little off though.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 mountainview86

One of my friends reactions the next day was interesting. we were discussing it in school and he was delighted that America had finally got its comeuppance for their decades of perfidy and warmongering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

In woodwork class in 2nd year i think, after school I listened in on the radio, then I think our TV was on for the next two days on the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I had just started first year. Came home and my mam was glued to the couch watching it. I thought it was a joke at first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 in two minds

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Was on holidays from college, at home, just after fininshing breakfast and watching Neighbours when BBC News came on with one of those 'we interrupt your programming to bring you breaking news.' And I sat for the next 4 hours in my boxers and dressing gown staring in a mixture of awe and horror at the television.

How come you were just finishing your breakfast, surely it was afternoon when the news broke taking into consideration the time difference?? Or was it a late breakfast? I was abroad and we didnt find out til the evening due to the time difference where i was, so hence i'm a little confused with the timings!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

Was on hols, lounging by the pool, beautiful island of Kos, Greece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

where was i?

Same place i am for almost every November the ninth and/ or september eleventh... work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Was on lunch hour at work when I heard it. We all huddled in the staff room for ages, then we got told there were lots of patients waiting outside! So the poor patients were gathered in the waiting room unaware of the drama! One by one, I told my patients, and they all gasped with shock, one girl refused to believe the Twin Towers were rubble because she'd only been at the top of one of them 6 months before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

On my rooftop in Williamsburg Brooklyn watching the second plane go in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Paddo81

Watching it at home, the day before i started college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

On holidays in Spain. Was at a water park that day, going down rides, playing crazy golf etc... got back to our apartment, went down to the bar to get some water, and the TVs were on Sky News. Stood and watched for a bit, at this stage it had all happened, was just repeats, didn't know at the time though. Ran back to apartment to tell my wife and her sister that a plane had crashed into the Twin Towers, then ran back and saw more had happened, then went back and got them ("you have to see this!") and we saw the full scale of the attack. Watched it all for a good few hours till they turned it off, started playing music etc. Thought it was a bit insensitive but then again there were lots of kids there.

I remember next day feeling really weird, we were on a bus tour of Barcelona and I just couldn't get into it... people on the bus were all reading papers full of pictures, it was just really disturbing. Got to our hotel later that day and turned on BBC World and watched for a few more hours. Of course on the flight home I was suspecting everyone on board of being a terrorist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I had the day off, was listenin to 2fm and Gareth O Callaghan was saying, "quick, run to a TV and turn it on, extraordinary scenes in New York".

Was a worrying time as my brother was in NY that day, was at a safe distance though I wasnt to know that til much later that day.

Most horrific thing for me, being afraid of heights, was the people having to jump to their deaths. I still cant get my head round that to this day.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I'd have been in sixth class, parents are american so it was a big thing with relatives being over there etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

when it happened i was in religion class in 2nd yr of school. i only heard when i got home, my mam told me over the phone. was in denial until i turned on the tv, i remember turning over to MTV for a bit to take a breather from all the looped footage of the planes, but MTV were telling people to turn over to Sky News!weird!

can't believe it's been 8 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

I was in 5th class in school, teacher came in and told us to pray for the people of America, we hadn't a clue what she was on about. Went home then and saw it on TV.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

i was in primary school. I got home at about 3 and just sat there for hours watching the TV once i got home. It was the same thing over and over again but i was still compelled to watch it. If i remember correctly EVERY TV station was just rolling news coverage of it.

I actually asked a couple of my mates where they were on the 11th and everyone remembers where they were. No one didn't kno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Coming off the field in 6th year after P.E. I remember I even made a joke about it because I thought it was nothing serious, some two seater had hit it or something!! I remember going home that day and just feeling like ****e watching it because what I had said. I sat there from 3.40 that day to maybe midnight because I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Even when I see it now, I cant believe it. Was in New York last year and still couldnt believe it had happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

in the bath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

I was in school, only a couple of weeks into first year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

me too! I remember listening in on the radio on the way home from school. I was just so shocked at what I was hearing and then when I got in the door and turned on the news and seen the images of the planes smashing into both towers, the disturbing image of people jumping and then the image of the towers collapsing, I just couldn't believe what I was seeing! That day will always live long in the memory!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how the world changed after 9/11.
    My world is the exact same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

82%?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I was on a sicky that day so watched it all. But I remember having a funny conversation about the worst thing you masturbated to, (that's for another thread!) and he said he was pleasuring himself to some slutty bird on the Jerry Springer show, he got bored so he flicked the channel to SkyNews and saw the footage of the aftermath of the first plane strike. Well he started so he had to finish, so went back to Jerry Springer and did just that.

He's a disgrace of a young fella

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I was on a sicky that day so watched it all. But I remember having a funny conversation about the worst thing you masturbated to, (that's for another thread!) and he said he was pleasuring himself to some slutty bird on the Jerry Springer show, he got bored so he flicked the channel to SkyNews and saw the footage of the aftermath of the first plane strike. Well he started so he had to finish, so went back to Jerry Springer and did just that.

He's a disgrace of a young fella

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/americans_observing_9_11_by

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

I was 14 and had just come home from school. It was a tuesday,and my school normally finished at 3:45pm,but for some reason I'm almost sure it was about 3:30pm when I heard,so maybe we had our last class off that day for some reason.
    Anyways,I was only in the door about 10 mins or so,when my house phone rang(my mobile was broke.)It was my best friend telling me that "World War 3" had started,and to turn on sky news straight away. I didn't believe her,but stayed on the phone and went and switched on sky news.
    The first image I saw was the replay of one one of the planes flying into the building,and the writing at the bottom of the screen saying"Terrorist Attack In America" or something like that.
    I was gobsmacked,we chatted for a few minutes more and I remained watching the tv.
    I was so terrified,because I really believed that it would be the start of World War 3,and that even though Ireland was neutral,that we might get bombed aswell.
    My mum used to wake me for school,and then leave for work early,but for 2 days I got up when she called me but actually dossed of 2 mornings of school,as I was glued to Sky News. I remained glued every evening and night for about 2 weeks,and would check it every day for about 1 and a half months.
    I vaguely remember about 3 weeks or a month in, some of the first arrests being made of people suspected in secret terrorist "nets". It sounded like something from a film,they were saying that police were striking 7 different targets/places from 7 or 9am that morning in raids,in broad daylight to catch them offguard. Don't know what happened to them after that?
    I remember when america first started bombing,and all the footage of the bombs going off at night,illuminating the darkness.
    I watch all the 9/11 documentaries,and the victim's families always make me cry.
    The haunting image of the planes flying into the buildings,the brave firefighters and civilians who saved people,the thought of people having to jump and die,the stories of the victim's(about to get married etc.),and the complete sense of shock around the world that America had been attacked,are things that I think I will remember forever.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Had just got back to work that day after what I thought was a pretty tricky plane journey back from Tolouse. Then I spent the afternoon on the BBC news site and the pub next door to watch the TV, then the other plane went into the Pentagon and I was tasked with trying to call my brother in DC as the parents couldn't get a phone call to connect any further than the 001 before getting an engaged tone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Watching live in sitting room,I had gone to get the bus forgot something in the house went back.The tv was left on by mistake and it was on sky news.Watched live as second plane hit :(

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

DigiGal wrote: »
    I was in Primary school, 4th or 5th class and I saw it on the ESB tellies outside Crumlin Shopping Center while my mam was paying the gas bill.....
    Don't think I fully understood what was happening

Ya I'm the same. I was 11 when it happened and i don't think i really understood the magnitude of what was happening. If it happened today i would probably be much more shocked about the whole thing but back then it was kinda like "oh thats a shame. They've been going on about it on the news for an awful long time though." That hostage situation in that Russian primary school hit me a lot harder and that only happened about 2 or 3 years after 9/11. So it would seem that age has an awful lot to do with your reaction to it.

Oh and i found out about it when i got home from school at about 3.20 and my mam told me. It was on the tv in our house all night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I'm sick of these 9/11 related threads and discussions!

For frick sake when will people forget this event!!!

No one speaks about the tsunami disaster, no one speaks about the people dying in Dafur, no one speaks about the massacre in Rawanda but 9/11 keeps coming up over and over again just cuz it happened to frickin America and a few thousand people died!!!!

More people are dying every frickin week as a result of america's "war on terror" in Iraq and Afghanistan, than they did during 9/11.

Yet we still have to mourn 9/11 every fricking year as if it was the biggest attack on humanity ever!!!
    Why?! Just cuz it was a bunch of white americans and no one gives a **** about coloured Arab, Palestinian and Afghan guys!!!

What a load of hypocrisy!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

In was in my 3rd year history class. Our teacher came in and told us all about it. He told us that the US were definitely going to war over it, and that it'd quite possibly lead to WWIII.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭madmaxi

I was sitting in work when the news broke of the first plane going into the first tower and watch on a tv as the second happened, the whole office went numb.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No one speaks about the tsunami disaster, no one speaks about the people dying in Dafur, no one speaks about the massacre in Rawanda but 9/11 keeps coming up over and over again just cuz it happened to frickin America and a few thousand people died!!!!

So other than the tsunami, what were you doing when you heard about each of the other events then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

I would have been about 9 at the time and I remember a couple of boys from school were fighting over me and one of them had given me a doll that day....nothing to do with anything really but sure....and I remember all of us at home that night watching it all on the news and eating burnt lamb chops....i still remember how they tasted. It was kinda surreal for me , I didnt really understand why everyone was so upset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

here....what happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

ah I was i school, i think 2nd year. Remember it like it was just over 8 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

was in school and came home and was all over sky news...
    didnt even hear of the twin towers before it happened:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

was in kusadasi turkey.....that morning we were to go to the waterpark but i was dying of a hangover....so the then girlfriend left me in a huff...spend the day hanging around the beach recovering, while getting the hair of the dog noticed everybody glued to the tv....at first i thought it was a documentary....it was then i noticed a large american battleship that had docked the day before heading back out to sea....reality then started to sink in

• Advertisement
Advertisement