Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jig saw?

Options
  • 08-09-2009 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

Anybody feel like lending me a jigsaw next weekend? I promise I'll be careful with it - I'm just putting a cat flap on a storage chest, which I believe is made out of particle board. I have to wait for the cat flap to get here though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Haha, took me about 5 times reading it to cop on what you were talking about! Duh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Xiney wrote: »
    Anybody feel like lending me a jigsaw next weekend? I promise I'll be careful with it - I'm just putting a cat flap on a storage chest, which I believe is made out of particle board. I have to wait for the cat flap to get here though.

Jesus, I thought you meant the Boardsie who tried to follow a girl down to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Title amended
    Freud-FJ85K-6-Amp-Top-Handle-Jig-Saw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Xiney, I have one you can borrow. I'm in Doughiska too, PM me to collect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I got a few but they are all 110 V.
    But a jig saw is pretty useless trying to cut through a hardwood door,as the blade has a habit of going off at unwanted angles. bore the corners through with a drill first, it will help make a neater job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

yeah, I'm going to start the thing with a drill. And it's not hard wood, it's a pine chest. Although I will admit it's gotten a bit more complicated in the meantime 'cause I bought this one from argos and the sides are actually individual pieces of wood. So I'm going to have to buy some extra wood to make a frame around the hole I'm going to cut so that the thing stays together. But still...

(Why do my DIY projects always end up so complicated?)

I'll pm you Zzippy in a minute, thanks a million!

actually, I may not start the thing with a drill.

I may just cut the individual pieces of wood up before nailing a reinforcing frame around the hole and building the chest. In fact a regular saw may do a better job, but I'm lazy and I want a power tool :P

I think the cat flap will have some forgiveness based on its construction, it seems to have a little lip that goes around the edge of the cut out.

This is what the first chest looked like before myself & Mr Xiney put it together (this one is to keep the pets out of the rubbish/recycling/compost bins)

pinechestbefore.jpg

and after:

pinechestafter.jpg

Seriously, when I opened the box and saw all those individual pieces of wood, I nearly cried.

Actually, just thinking that I'm going to have to build another one is making me want to cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So I guess you're not going to add "furniture assembly" to your list of services-offered then?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

If you do this a lot, Atlantic Homecare have a Ryobi starter pack with battery drill and jigsaw. There are 2 rechargable batteries in it, which fit most other ryobi products.

Quality is very good, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

What was the original thread title? I'm intrigued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

The Galway Jigsaw Massacre :pac:

What was the original thread title? I'm intrigued.

It was just "Jigsaw?" which I guess is the name of someone who used to post here...
    Fey! wrote: »
    If you do this a lot, Atlantic Homecare have a Ryobi starter pack with battery drill and jigsaw. There are 2 rechargable batteries in it, which fit most other ryobi products.

Quality is very good, too.

I've already got the drill, and I'd really only ever use the jigsaw about once a year if I got it. Frankly, it's a good thing I didn't have it last year since if I had I would have tried to alter a couple of particle board bookshelves from Argos (to make them narrower) and I doubt it would have worked out...

Advertisement