Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Help?!!

Options
  • 08-09-2009 1:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

well i was just wondering yeah, im on the dole and starting college im getting 200euro a week i was really looking forward to getting a place with the bird the rent is 500 a month a one bed apartment. i already broke all the costs down. between food i said about 50 euro a week between 2, the rent is 125 a week ok so thats 175 yeah, 25 left a week esb should only cost about 80 most so thats another 10 a week, i dont drive anyway the apartment is in the city center so im grand just wondering is that a very risky idea now or do ye think it could be dont alot of other things id need money for i know like credit for phone but im with meteor so thats 20euro a month so thats 5 extra a week ??? really need another expierienced opinion leaves me with 10 probaby johnys or something i need a second opinion fast please thanks!!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

will she not be contributing financially to the household?

That is too tight a budget to live on. You have no money for discretionary spending or emergencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Can you get the dole while attending college??

If you are the sole source of income, then no, renting the apartment is probably too risky. As the poster above says, you have no way of being able to budget for any unexpected costs.

You haven't budgeted for things like social activities (drinks, meals), presents, holidays, insurance. Or even the cost of college!

Unless your girlfriend contributes in some way, there's no way you could comfortably afford to rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 LimerickBloke

Well
    I'll probably be getting some type of rent allowence which would be probably be about an extra 100 a month hopefully, might even get a house worth 400 euro a month ,ya theres a back to education coming out ,You can get full dole 200 euro if your out of school 2 yrs or on the dole 2 yrs your entitled to get it, na shes going to college herself and has no income, Theres no difference her being there all that money id have to pay myself anyway she'd just be eating dinner with me you know, i dont even know if she'll be allowed move in with me , sur moving in with the bird for a year would be my holiday and sur if i need money incase of a emergency i know my parents would help me out iv helped them out enough, i have a medical card and **** so im sorted for most things medical wise, need more replies what you think, honest opinions now....!!!
    Limerick Bloke

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

i dont even know if she'll be allowed move in with me
    Best to check this out first, in case living with her means you get less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 LimerickBloke

yeah i should really check but id still move out myself and my name would be on the lease she could be over all the time!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Honest opinion: Stay at home, have your mum do your meals, laundry etc. That allows you to focus on your college studies, hopefully get a good job at the end and then be in a much better position to be able to rent your own place.

I think you're totally underestimating the cost of living, especially the cost of attending college (books, exam fees, library fines, food, etc). I also think your primary motivation for moving out is female... so you're not thinking with your brain. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

i already broke all the costs down. between food i said about 50 euro a week between 2, the rent is 125 a week ok so thats 175 yeah, 25 left a week esb should only cost about 80 most so thats another 10 a week
    Actually, 100 for 2 people is f**k all for food. And that's with buying a lot of Tesco home brand stuff.

I assume you don't have electric showers, and that you don't have any electic heaters? This will push it over 80 a month, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

the_syco wrote: »
    Actually, 100 for 2 people is f**k all for food. And that's with buying a lot of Tesco home brand stuff.

I assume you don't have electric showers, and that you don't have any electic heaters? This will push it over 80 a month, I'd say.

his budget is way off theres no way he can afford it

that said 100 for food for 2 people is more than doable. My average weekly shop is about 65 euro for 2 persons. I shop in Aldi and its about half the cost of when I do a similar shop in Tesco

And our ESB bill is normally around €130 for 2 months that said I dont have storage heaters and rarely use the immersion

Advertisement