Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SF4 - Ireland Online - Evaluation Tread

Options
  • 08-09-2009 3:12am
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Right, so I watched almost the entire WCWarzone via the supplied Stream and it kicked arse, enough to make me want to crack out SF4 and punch people in the head.

Had a few matches then I notice Leimrod on Friends list with an open PvP session so I joined in and we started beating the crap into eachother on a sexy & consistant 5-bar completely lagless connection.

Anytime I'm in a fight, I'm recording via FRAPS - Not because I'm hoping to capture something worthwhile, but because I can't actually play SF4 when I don't have lowered FPS via FRAPS (Weird, innit) so when I mentioned to Liem that I had recorded the fights we had, it turns out we both would liked to have re-watched them for evaluation and note taking, so I'm currently uploading 3-out-of-8 of them as we speak.

This led me to a very VERY simple idea - It seems that any SF4 related forum I go to there are ALWAYS people asking for recorded matches for evaluation, so I figure why not start an Irish Evaluation thread and see if we can get players to hook up with eachother online and just have some casual / friendly matches for recording and note-taking as well as allowing the Irish SF4 community to pitch in their own tips and helpful comments so that we can all get some feedback on our styles and help eachother out.

I learned quite a lot from our games tonight as I'm sure Leim probably will when he sees them - So whaddya say, folks?

Anyone up for this?
    All it'd take is for willing participants (some of which hopefully have recording devices or use FRAPS) to hook up with other Irish players and just have some casual fun, experiment or just try to beat everyone up, then if you want it evaluated, pop it into this thread and see if any of the community can offer up any advice or tips on the matchup, mistakes etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

This is a great idea.

Capcom are bleeding idiots for not including an ingame recording feature. The problem is, fraps can have a negative impact on fps. Having said that, Im probably going to try and record my next few matches with Azza.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Leimrod, that ultra you did in the second match was quality. Enjoyed that one:p
    RopeDrink wrote: »
    Any tips, by the way? :P

Well I'm no ballrog expert...so take from my advice what you will. I think you should bulldog more. Take a few steps forward, then block. Few steps forward, then block. You were doing this well in match 06. A good bit more than the other 2.

If you do it right you can close the distance without risking being hit. It seemed to be that the only way you were closing in was to jump in on him or TAP him. They are both fine and both work, but if thats all you do you will get figured out and your opponent will know it is coming, and punish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

eh... I think I'm the one that needs the advice here. I have no Balrog game. I don't want to play a run away game, but even from reading on the srk forums it seems to be the recommended approach to this matchup.

Basically for Akuma they recommend
    1. Use TP through Balrog to break his charge
    2. Consistantly use FADC at full screen to lock down Balrogs single hit charge windows
    3. Fireballs, lots and lots of fireballs

Now I'm sure this works, but like the Gief matchup, it's incredibly boring. But I really have no ranged game against Balrog. Pretty much everything goes under airfireballs, that sweep punch :mad:

Any kind of jump in can be met with a headbutt, and if Balrog has even 1 bar I can't attempt any meaty as his EX headbutt will beat it out and open up a window to land the Ultra.

Should I just be staying at full screen against Balrog?

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Good idea. But rather than have 2 separate replay threads I'll merge this with the regular replay thread and if you want evaluation from the community simply put evaluation above the replay in bold.

I won't merge the threads for a while. Let people become aware of the concept by reading this thread and then merge it in a couple of days.

Leimr0d wrote:
    Now I'm sure this works, but like the Gief matchup, it's incredibly boring. But I really have no ranged game against Balrog. Pretty much everything goes under airfireballs, that sweep punch

Lower to the ground airfireballs. Don't do them till your near landing from a jump rather than at the jumps apex. He can't dash under them but he can ex.through them. EX.Airfireball should stuff his ex.dashes though.

Cross Balrog up on knockdown with j.mk, his buffalo headbutt is rubbish on wake up, whiffs alot of cross ups. Look to bait it on wake up. Rog's wake up options are poor.

FA his regular dash punches.
    If he full screen EX.Dash Punches through a regular fireball you might have time to FA the second hit, his ex.dash punch will have lost one hit of its move so won't be armour breaking.
    Redfireball and ex.fireball wil stuff EX.Punches.
    His dash punches can be stuffed with your roundhouse kick if you time it right.
    Close starting dash punches can be thrown, even the ex ones.
    No fireballs at close range when he has charge. He can headbutt or tap through em
    TAP should be safe at level 1. Anything after that should be punishable.
    Tick throwing is not great against Balrog jump to his machine gun light jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Just from those three matches I'd say you should neutral jump those full screen fireballs more, especially when you have a life lead.

Akuma has to get in on you when he's losing and Balrog has great defensive options in TAP, Headbutt and his many good normals.

You kept forward jumping fireballs which gave him an opportunity to do damage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Isnt akumas stupid fast heavy kick really good against balrog?

Leim often sweeps the split-second I went for this on a string of occasions (most likely random sweeps, unless of course he adapted to it), which wasn't fortunate for me >.<

I've found people have like an internal 3 second countdown timer. After 3 seconds they'll attempt something, so I sweep. It's not safe and I've got to get out of that habit, as Azza tends to have more patience than me and will punish my whiffed sweep with that goddam scissor kick combo. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Great idea.

I know I'm pretty crap but there is one piece of advise I have to give. I did a whole lot better last saturday I thought because I improved my wake up game. I didn't even practice once since the last meet up I just watched dave sirlin's videos on super turbo and took pointers off it and tried them out on saturday and it helped immensely.

When you get a knock down you's should really try and get close because you have a huge advantage. You can bait a shoryuken or headbutt, mix up crouching jabs with overheads or cross up on wake up or bait a throw. Akuma especially has a really good wake up game and has the tools to get back to safety if it's successfully blocked.

It's really improved my game and I find it far more helpful than learning combos (which I still can't get most of the time :/) and I think you's should watch the video and learn your overheads and cross ups.

bush wrote: »
    Isnt akumas stupid fast heavy kick really good against balrog?

If it whiffs you are leaving yourself wide open. All Balrog needs is a window for a jab to set up the headbutt into ultra.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

good idea, not sure how i can tape

i play on my pc monitor, i can also play via my video card on pc but im paranoid about any sort of extra lag

• Advertisement

If any move whiffs it leave you wide open Leimr0d. Akumas roundhouse sets him up for a high damge combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You mean online?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

What I recommend for a Akuma v Balrog match up, is;

Bate with firballs, if Rog does his punch threw the fireball, Srk at the right time always works!
    you dont wana get to close to rog, or stay far away, for obvious reason... The Akuma player should stay with in a hard kick's lenth or rog!

Rog hasnt got much of an air defence, but what he does have is an air-ultra defence which kinda sucks. But before Rog has an ultra bar try demon flips when he least expects it, and thry a combo.. Keep him under presure! Its a non stop presure game in all fairness!!

Plus im well up for recording matchs on the 360 if anyone is up for it, or if someone wants to record ya know where to find me :)

This is me playing some decent games...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43bKEPkgK5A

Bate with firballs, if Rog does his punch threw the fireball, Srk at the right time always works!

It's good to know about the srk. Will have to go into training and get a dummy to do a number of rogs dashes to get the timing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

No don't do that it wont work. Don't listen to him, he's stupid.

Rog hasnt got much of an air defence,

I dunno about that, hes got his uppercut and standing mp along with the headbutt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Yeah standing mp is pretty good but it usually trades for me and does feck all damage anyway. Crouching hp is bollocks. Never comes out in time, you have to be psychic to get it to hit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Creature wrote: »
    Crouching hp is bollocks. Never comes out in time, you have to be psychic to get it to hit

I'm a sucker for this I get caught all the time!!

Sagat06 wrote: »

Ye, I think its a great anti air.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Sagat06 wrote: »

Me too, every time. A couple of jump ins met with CR HP and few pokes and your dizzied!
    Don't know why I keep trying to jump in despite getting hit by it, like the thick that I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

pfffft rog's alright what about

tiger [blocked]
    tiger [blocked]
    tiger [duck]
    tiger [jump up]
    tiger [Focus]
    tiger [block]

***** sake*

JUMP IN

tiger uppercut !

FAIL

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭joconnell

What I recommend for a Akuma v Balrog match up, is;

This is me playing some decent games...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43bKEPkgK5A

Must say I ****ing hate blankas as a shoto.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

joconnell wrote: »
    Must say I ****ing hate blankas as a shoto.

:D:D Beast slide for the win :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Creature wrote: »
    No don't do that it wont work. Don't listen to him, he's stupid.

Agreed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

balrog cr.hp is imo best antiair normal in SF4

What tool do you use to record again RopeDrink?

y need tips on as Boxer are BLANKA (They say this match doesn't favour Blanka, but I'll be damned if I can see it, though that maybe just because I suck)

Its balrogs easiest match and probably blankas hardest. Basically all you have to do is hold down back, uppercut or headbutt if he jumps in, jab him out of balls and rush punch if you block a ball. If he tries to hit you with rainbow roll just focus and punish it. Don't bother trying to attack him, its boring but it works.

Well thanks for that - I often don't try to jab the balls as it often trades or I end up eating the attack

Just mash it, its impossible for the ball to get through mashing jabs and I dont think ive ever seen it trade.
    Ya do need patience alright. I think ive only played 1 balrog that knew how to play this matchup properly and its almost impossible to win. The majority of balrogs have no idea how to play it.

Tried fraps before but I could not get any sound with it. Xfires record feature seemed good but sound went out of sync with videos I recorded with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Red350

Currently using registered FRAPS.
    It's solid and easily configurable though unless you've a beast-machine the FPS is going to suffer by at least 10-15 frames (A non-issue for comps that can run SF4 beyond 60).

Whenever I use FRAPS, my in game FPS display stays at a constant 60, but what's actually displayed is around 20-30. Anyone know of any better software?

Advertisement