Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SF4 - Ireland Online - Evaluation Tread

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Try Xfires inbuilt recorded. Seems less of a resource hog and the games should be playable with it running, but for me sound went out of sync in all my recordings. Could be a sound card issue for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Red350

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Possibly a display codec issue? What do you watch the files in? Considering the filesize of recordings I won't be shocked if some players are incapable of playing them back at the recorded FPS. If what you record is steady at 60 during gameplay, that is most definately what you should get when viewing them.

I proof-watch them via good ole Windows Media player without problem - DivX player is alright but that player bugs the hell out of me and can be damn awkward at times. I'm going to assume that if you're recording at 60FPS solid then you're probably the type who has a beast of a comp with max GFX settings and a HUGE resolution to boot... The bigger the res the bigger the filesize and if the filesize (which is going to be well over 4gigs per 2-3mins) then this might be causing your player to struggle a bit?

What I record plays back at 60, but during recording the game runs at around 20 FPS. This would seem normal, except that the in game FPS display still says that the game is running at 60 FPS.
    Maybe it's just the FPS display bugging out, but I'm fairly certain my PC should be able to record without losing as many frames as it does.
    Just a thought - (You're Ryu Red, aye? Sorry I didn't get to play you today - After the games With Neptune, Azza and a bloke off the Gootecks forums I pretty much had to stop as I was getting a headache from mass-smoking cigs thanks to Azza beating on me... Yeah, thats right, imma blame you for EVERYTHING! :P)

No worries, played a good few games with Neptune instead, and yea, I play Ryu, though since getting my stick I've been mostly using Chun. Good to finally get off the bandwagon :D
    Azza wrote: »
    Try Xfires inbuilt recorded. Seems less of a resource hog and the games should be playable with it running, but for me sound went out of sync in all my recordings. Could be a sound card issue for me.

Cheers, I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Would lowering SF4's resolution help?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Would lowering SF4's resolution help?

It helps with the in game stuttering for me. But it doesn't decrease the size of the files for some reason. I think when it records at half resolution, it records at half your desktops resolution and not half the in game resolution.

I'd like to be able to just turn on recording when I start up SFIV then forget about it. But it's eating up about 4GB's every 3 minutes. If I play for 2 hours that's 160GB's of video that I'll then have to cut up into matches and compress. I'll be getting 2 more TB drives at the end of the month, but right now, even though I've got around 6TB's of storage currently I'm sitting on less than 20% of that being free :(

It would half the file size if it would allow me to record at 30fps but for some reason that caps my in game FPS at 30fps.

I wish someone would hack the in game facility to record matches. Then I could playback the matches and look at my inputs also.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Again: why the fvck didn't Capcom use a simple keystroke recorder?

• Advertisement

Have you set FRAPS to record at 60 FPS?
    L31mr0d wrote: »
    It would half the file size if it would allow me to record at 30fps but for some reason that caps my in game FPS at 30fps.

Well that would explain it, I hadn't realised that the fps you recorded at was the fps the game played at.
    Recording at 60 causes way to much slowdown though, the highest resolution I managed without slowdown was 800x600, and that's with fraps recording at half-size. Think it's time to buy a video camera.

The game will slow down to whatever FPS you set it at, hence the best method is to get an idea of your current FPS without recording, take away in arounds 5-15 FPS in advance then set that as the FPS level for FRAPS. If you have 60 FPS normally then it's probably best to set FRAPS to record at 50. Any lower and it'll force the game down, too high and it'll try to push it up, which wont work and risks problems.

FRAPS used to be very unstable for me on older computers but since my new one has a spare External Drive, getting FRAPS to save recorded footage to it has solved so many previous FRAPS problems and was a recommended solution on mostly every FRAPS site that attempted to give help and tips on smooth recording... Not exactly a help to those with one drive, but it's common these days to have more, so if you do have a spare drive connected, be sure to get the programme to save the recordings there, and NOT on the main drive.

I tried the spare drive trick, didn't make a huge difference, though I think that's because it's my GPU that's bottlenecking.

Playing at anything other than 60 fps would probably throw my timing off, so for now I think I'll leave FRAPS be, cheers for the help though. Anyway, I think I've steered this thread a bit too far off course :D

Either way I've seen your Finals Replay vs a Boxer and you seem like a patient Ryu. Same deal applies - If you honestly think it'll be of any benefit to have forum members see you in action more than the replay, we could get some recordings sometime, though I'd like to think there'll be more than me with an itchy-FRAPS finger, especially as my FPS and GFX settings suck - Would love to see how some of my fights are in 60FPS with sexy GFX settings - The one of me and Azza drops down to 5-10 FPS at times :/

Yea I've actually gotten messages off complete strangers suggesting I play more aggressively, I find it very hard to do with Ryu though. I'm up for playing some matches with you recording, message me next time you're on.

On a quick side not, does anyone have any suggestions for a good, but not too expensive, video camera?

Some matches I had against a Gen player. He won far more than I did for the majority.

If anyone has any tips against Gen I'd appreciate it.

Main thing I know I need to work a lot on is hit confirming before pulling out the HP srk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

The majority of the gens online are **** and revolve their whole game around crossups. If you can stop them doing that they have no idea what to do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Leimr0d, as I said a few times before I reckon you should work on cross up combos, cross up block string/tick throw mix ups and learning to block cross ups, block strings and tech throws. I think your over reliance on teleport has developed a weakness in your game.
    I think it would really help your game overall regardless of the match up if you just worked on that. Forget about teleport for a while (not against Gief of course) and even if your loose a few more matches just work on your defense.

Also I recommend less of the aimless demon flips and better use of the airfireball. Work on throwing out fireballs near the ground on your way down as opposed to the air fireballs from the apex of your jump which leaves you more open.

Take time in training to master Akuma's standard combo's, Particularly the one FoamyMushroom uses to such great effect.

Azza wrote: »
    Take time in training to master Akuma's standard combo's, Particularly the one FoamyMushroom uses to such great effect.

Yeah I've made contact with a few Akumas from SRK who have been meeting with me online to let me know my weaknesses.

Crossups are a problem. Thing is I'm getting pretty good at them in training, but online, people seem to always AA me out of them. The crossup tatsu is also an absolute pain to land consistantly. The spacing and time it's pulled out has to be exact.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭joconnell

This guy's savage:

I'm still stuck relearning with a stick, after that it's on to links :/

joconnell wrote: »
    This guy's savage:

yeah I'm already subscribed to him on youtube. I've gotten some advice off him on SRK as well. His other video is my bible for learning Akuma:

Why not do j.hp > c.mp xx headbutt > ultra if you know the j.hp connects? Surely the ultra does a lot more damage then?

Well why even make the thread really if you don't take it seriously and aren't focused on improving? I mean I think you're a decent boxer but it really seems self-contradictory. :pac:

Yeah, that's fair enough man, but I mean it doesn't mean you have to be aiming to be a super pro player to go for the best combo in a situation is all!

hmm had some really difficult matches against this Guile. Think I won 1 out of like 20. He kept doing the same thing over and over: double c.HK, Sonic Boom, s.HP, c.HK... repeat. I couldn't figure out how I could counter this. I was able to block it but nothing seemed to work. On wakeup he'd just sonic boom then continue like usual with a c.HK. When I'd try to sweep before the sonic boom he'd almost always instinctively flash kick it.

Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

When you knocked him down you backed up everytime. Most of the guiles I've come up against love you to be half screen away. I like to get in close and cross up for pressure.

Sagat06 wrote: »
    When you knocked him down you backed up everytime. Most of the guiles I've come up against love you to be half screen away. I like to get in close and cross up for pressure.

Yeah but this Guile didn't. He wanted to be up close so he could do his c.HK, sonic boom cycle. In some of the earlier matches I'd try to bait a flash kick, but he'd, without fail, go right into his c.HK on wakeup, and as I couldn't figure out how to counter it, I'd get stuck in a blocking loop that I'd have to TP out of.

These videos are from the end. Even on wakeup I had no options, his sonic boom would always mean whatever I tried would trade, always in his favour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

Yeah but this Guile didn't. He wanted to be up close so he could do his c.HK, sonic boom cycle. In some of the earlier matches I'd try to bait a flash kick, but he'd, without fail, go right into his c.HK on wakeup, and as I couldn't figure out how to counter it, I'd get stuck in a blocking loop that I'd have to TP out of.

These videos are from the end. Even on wakeup I had no options, his sonic boom would always mean whatever I tried would trade, always in his favour.

Was watching, and man you had SO many opportunity's to demon flip straight in and combo it up!! As ya said you where tryin to bait the flash kick, but never worked... try next time to bait more sonic booms and demon flip in... if he blocks...Then link into some stuff, such as **all crouched*(LP, LP LK, LP, Fireball) or (LP, LP, MK, fireball)! Cause all Guile players do is turtle, (well the majority of them)

You also said you knew when he was gon Cr.HK.. you coulda jumped straight up on the way back down link into stuff, woulda worked perfectly!!

When you jump in to get at him dont jump back, cause he didnt seem to do very well under some presure

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Isn't it possible to Ultra through the sweeps?
    I did that to Doom with Abel once :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Ye you can ultra between the 2 sweeps, its a fairly ****ty move.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭joconnell

Ultra between the sweeps - it'll eat the second part of it. Use your three fireball as he's getting up for more chip, not a single air fb. Cross him up as he gets up so he loses his sonic boom charge - anyone know if there's safe frames on this? I don't play guiles often but I presume the tatsu travels over the sb? As everyone has said you backed off and let him get back into his game plan - keep messing him up if only a cross up into a weak tatsu over his head into a throw.

Otherwise you can block the first then prep a focus to absorb the second one and either attempt to slap them with it or backdash for a bit of distance

Cheers for that. Yeah I never use focus a lot, should really start throwing it in at least once per match, even if it's only a bait, just to get used to using it.
    Was watching, and man you had SO many opportunity's to demon flip straight in and combo it up!!...

You also said you knew when he was gon Cr.HK.. you coulda jumped straight up on the way back down link into stuff, woulda worked perfectly!!

Yeah I've got to get used to those crouching links. I seem to mess up the link from lp, lp into mp or mk, and it was just enough of a window in the earlier matches for him to get a flashkick out. I just stopped attempting it after eating a few flashkicks.
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Isn't it possible to Ultra through the sweeps?

Might go into training and try that out. I'd have to mash it out pretty fast though to get it into that window.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

Jus train your crouch skittles, try some links into FADC's :P plus dont rely on Akumas Ultra

Any character can reversal or focus attack the second part of the sweep.

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Any character can reversal or focus attack the second part of the sweep.

I tried mashing out a srk in between sweeps but it nearly always traded. What would be the best? Just a jab into a combo?

Not sure, I'd recommend getting the focus attack down anyway since then you can do that playing as any character and don't have to think about what reversal to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

I tried mashing out a srk in between sweeps but it nearly always traded. What would be the best? Just a jab into a combo?

I know you can cr short>scissors with Bison so you could probably get in a jab>whatever with Akuma.

Also Bisons ex scissors and psycho crusher beat it clean so maybe it's the same with other characters.You could probably Raging Demon between sweeps but you'd need some quick fingers for that!

As Dreddy said the best option is probably to just focus it.

Advertisement