Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SF4 - Ireland Online - Evaluation Tread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Azza wrote: »
    I remember reading on shoryuken the recommended approach for the Chun match was hardcore turtling so I decided since nothing else was working to use it.

Its not actually a dumb move when I use it to turtle. Its hard to get in on and it builds meter and it did not just stall matches it helped change the outcome. I don't think you can ultra it if I land full screen away when using it to build meter.

It doesnt really work if I decide to turtle too though. Chun can build meter with fireball followed by legs. Dash ultra can hit devils reverse from full screen.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Most characters build meter faster than Bison so thats nothing new. You can't dash ultra while throwing a fireball which means I'm safe enough to devils reverse if you throw a fireball. I'm not going be throwing out devils reverse when your sitting back down charging doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Red350

Just back from work, cheers for uploading, was a fantastic set with some ridiculously close matches :)
    I only used chun cause I tend to get bored of playing one character for too many matches, I don't think either of us had fully adapted to the sudden swap, so I prefer to think of those matches as a warm down :P I'll go for a full set with her next time and see what we can get out of it.

Anyways, here's what I could gather from the set:

I think we were both too lenient with our anti airs. I still struggle to srk boxer on reaction with his jump being so fast coupled with his huge reach in the air, the only times I really caught you was when I was anticipating a jump.
    I'm gonna have to completely re think my strategy against you when you start down fiercing, I was resorting to jumps way too much, as your footsies were just destroying me.

I can't really complain about your teching, since mine is equally atrocious, but definitely when you see a ryu doing j.lk you should go straight for grab.

The only thing I can really think of that you haven't mentioned yourself, is you didn't really put a lot of pressure on me on wakeup, most of the time I got to wake up for free as long as i blocked low.

I can see a lot of places where I was making mistakes from the videos, mostly from dropping links or just completely missing during a blockstring. Boxer seems to have a very strange hitbox for his lower half (rufus' dive kick whiffs completely on it). Gonna have to test some stuff out in training mode with it.

Definitely some of the best fights I've had in a while, always seemed to go down to the wire. Looking forward to the next set :)

Try looking up some good safe jump set ups for balrog, it's where you jump at a waking opponent so that your attack hits them in the last possible frame, so if they try to reversal you, you're already landed and blocking before it comes out. Or you could just walk up and throw. You just need to keep them guessing.
    I think it might just be all your online experience against reversal happy kens has put you into a mindset of constant baiting. That's the main reason I rarely play champ mode anymore, I never learned how to play the game, I just learned how to punish.
    RopeDrink wrote: »
    As said in other threads, I tend to just play the same way so once you download me, things get much easier for you as I don't tend to adapt to people very well hence the Chun matches felt weird.

I know you do keep saying this, but I never found your balrog to be predictable outside of when I was waking up, and I've watched most of the matches you've uploaded.

The problem with chun is probably just lack of experience against her. Like I said, I'll go for a set with her next time so you can learn the match, though tbh you were giving me a pretty hard time as it was :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

red where yea from in Ireland again m8? You really should show to one of the tournys and meet ups. You as well ropedrink, G'WAN!

• Advertisement

I'm from Rathfarnham, so it's no hassle for me to go except that I usually have work on Saturdays :(
    Next time I can get someone to cover my shift I'll be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Buy a feckin cheapy GFX card ffs :p and I'm sure you can still play with the KB at an event.

@ Red. Ah sure I think A-track said he lives there too. Your a good player so I look forward to when you can join us in 'RL' :p

Cheers cunny, will be nice to see how the game plays offline :)

Thanks again for the uploads RopeDrink, sorry about the lag, but that's the price I pay for selling my soul to Eircom :D
    Those two matches turned out well enough, I'm especially proud of the g'way slap I gave you at 1:44 in the second vid :P

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

That Guile players channel has some interesting sets in it.Has a set versus Alex Valle,Saqs and Mr CTT(great ST Bison player playing Rose :confused:).

Interesting stuff,even if there's no psycho power content there!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

First of several bouts with Chopper.

Would love some opinions.

Also perfectly willing to record matches with anyone else on PSN.

Chopper made a hard Honda to fight because he just wouldn't jump in that zone for air throws. He didn't abuse splash but seemed to have a knack of going for it at awkward times. I was pretty suprised as I thought I knew all hondas had to offer.

I had a bit of difficulty keeping him off of me. Alot of long range booms, in the first fight, the odd dash and throw as I hadn't figured him out in this one at all.

I think I need to work on staying calm when I am being closed in on. I seem to make alot of ba choices there.

That's Emmet/ Aaron in the background of the vid. It'll be his turn on this thread soon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

You're sweeping far too much imo Doom, chopper could be punishing you by focusing the second hit (possibly ochioing it? not sure if this works, Gief can SPD it anyway). I'd start making more use of cr. mk in a lot of the footsie situations. Solid Guile as usual though!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Doomy, I'm up for it 2moro night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

It's hard to tell from that video, but the lag for the first few matches (that I hosted) was very annoying. It was just bad enough that you couldn't block on reaction.

I also missed an easy AA Ultra in that fight because of it.

If he uploads the next match you'll see me using some filthy lag abuse tactics :pac:

The one thing Doom has gotten very good at is corner traps using a slow Sonic Boom and crouching medium kick. If you block high you get hit, if you block low you get put in block stun and then he can mix it up with an overhead instead of the kick.

Very annoying.

The rest will be going up tonight when I get home from work Chopper :) it takes about 1.5 hours for a fight to upload in the quality I have been using so far!

Kikki I'm up for some more. PM me and we'll organise a time tonight.

Looks like I'm vulnerable to Rufus, just FYI :D

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    You're sweeping far too much imo Doom, chopper could be punishing you by focusing the second hit (possibly ochioing it? not sure if this works, Gief can SPD it anyway). I'd start making more use of cr. mk in a lot of the footsie situations. Solid Guile as usual though!

Sadly enough I've discovered I'll land the sweep often enough to give me the obvious wake up advantage which pans out more than cmk. As soon as someone counters the sweep- I stop :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

First of several bouts with Chopper.

Would love some opinions...

Hey Doom, you ever going to move over to the PC version :D Would like some more Guile matches but I hate playing it on the PS3 now. Plus it's easier to get something like Vent or Mumble set up to chat. Are you waiting for SSFIV?

@RopeDrink: Yeah thanks for the vid. I've been following that Akumas videos. He's on SRK. Himself, WestAB and loltima are also very good.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Hey Doom, you ever going to move over to the PC version :D Would like some more Guile matches but I hate playing it on the PS3 now. Plus it's easier to get something like Vent or Mumble set up to chat. Are you waiting for SSFIV?

@RopeDrink: Yeah thanks for the vid. I've been following that Akumas videos. He's on SRK. Himself, WestAB and loltima are also very good.

You assume I have a PC at home!

You assume I have a PC at home!

Well... yeah. Don't you? Where you uploading those youtube videos from work?

Who doesn't have a PC at home? Nowadays it's like saying you don't have a phone or TV :D

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Well... yeah. Don't you? Where you uploading those youtube videos from work?

Who doesn't have a PC at home? Nowadays it's like saying you don't have a phone or TV :D

Mac, dude. :)

Mac, dude. :)

Oh geez... I'm sorry about that man. I should of known when you didn't say right away. You could of PM'd me to let me know. No one should have to admit something like that in public, no one :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

He's a Guile player, people could not lower there opinion of him any further!

Azza wrote: »
    He's a Guile player, people could not lower there opinion of him any further!
    RopeDrink wrote: »
    Oi, leave brush-head alone. He's just taking a break from the days of being broken in SF2 in the interest of fairness!

:rolleyes:

Ah never mind him Ropey, he's just jealous of the air throw.

Here's rounds 2 and three between Chopper and I.

Chopper bet the cack out of me in the second fight. I really do need to learn to fight better against rush down. Not to belittle his play, was very good, very tactical, and I fell right in for his super. The most trouble I can remember a honda ever giving me. Everything I did was countered. One of those horrible fights.

Fight 3 I decided not to let him on the offensive and thus we have rare footage of an aggresive SF4 Guile. It worked well for me, I think I shall rock the aggro Guile more. Chopper got stuck in the classic "sonichighlowthrow" corner trap which can be difficult for non shotos to fight out of.

Good games to Mr Byrne :)

Fight 4- Chopper copping on to my aggressive tactics- got lucky in winning this one.

Fight 5- He switches to El Fuerte.

Unfortunately I figure out pretty quick that the good ol bison tactic works on Fuerte, in that his full screen jump attacks wont connect on Guile like a shoto, rendering him a little screwed at full screen. So thats where I tried to keep him.

Fight 6, a fun match to watch, Ultras, supers the lot.

Witness Choppers revenge for all you air throw moaners out there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ola Doomy, I'll be online from about 7.30/8pm onwards tonight. :)

Fight 7- I swap out to Ryu, feeling Guile has a bit too much advantage in the El fuerte match up. (Azza doesn't get that priviledge :D )

Last fight... ChopperByrne: Perfect Ruining, Airthrow beating, son of a bitch :)

In closing I would argue that Chopper should focus on Honda. He made much, much more trouble for me and I got the feeling I was fighting patterns with Fuerte while with Honda I felt unsure what was coming next.

Fuerte I felt fighting him lost 10% of his effectiveness which each fight as I was learning more and more to zone him. Honda I felt was getting more and more dangerous. Just my 5 cent dude :)

Any more opinions on my play?

I have a few rounds with AyjayIrl locally and my absolute slaughter at the hands of bush to eventually put up too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I got next :D. I can imagine that our dhalsim vs guile matches are usually interesting for us.....but dead boring for other people to watch me thinks.

Advertisement